Not a "what bike"thread. But need info

safreek

Hi guys, this XC bike thing is new to me. After a bit of riding feedback from you fine fellows.
The deal is that I am after a dually with about 120mm travel but have been led to believe they are all pretty hardtalish in feel.
I am guessing that one of these Scott sparks would be pretty rigid, same as the Cannondale rush.
I am also guessing that these things are pretty uncomfortable due to the fact that you ride head down,arse up.
Do you think that a coil shock would change the feel.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Hi guys, this XC bike thing is new to me. After a bit of riding feedback from you fine fellows.
The deal is that I am after a dually with about 120mm travel but have been led to believe they are all pretty hardtalish in feel.
I am guessing that one of these Scott sparks would be pretty rigid, same as the Cannondale rush.
I am also guessing that these things are pretty uncomfortable due to the fact that you ride head down,arse up.
Do you think that a coil shock would change the feel.
View attachment 367693View attachment 367694
Sounds like you are after a down-country bike (100-120) with modern geo.
Have a look at Pinkbikes recent reviews to get a feel for what's available.
Also, a coil will not fit due to clearance and size

safreek

Sounds like you are after a down-country bike (100-120) with modern geo.
Have a look at Pinkbikes recent reviews to get a feel for what's available.
Also, a coil will not fit due to clearance and size
Cheers mate, hadn't actually thought of coil clearance. . Off to have a look at pinkbike to never heard of a down country bike

creaky

XMAS Plumper
So, you are looking for an XC bike that doesn't ride like an XC bike?
XC dual suspensions do not ride like a rigid bike, obviously. If they did then why would they exist?

If you don't want "old school" (i.e. 2 year old) XC angles then you're best off getting a 2yo trail bike with 120/130mm travel that will be more similar to the current XC geo trends and you won't need to wear lycra.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
What are you using them for? The way things played out for my bike ownership I somehow ended up without a hardtail and an XC dually. Take that thing on some of the more wild gravel grinds and certainly wouldn't call it uncomfortable. Does feel a lot more rigid than a longer travel but hey this is RB we all know that more travel = more plush.

safreek

So, you are looking for an XC bike that doesn't ride like an XC bike?
XC dual suspensions do not ride like a rigid bike, obviously. If they did then why would they exist?

If you don't want "old school" (i.e. 2 year old) XC angles then you're best off getting a 2yo trail bike with 120/130mm travel that will be more similar to the current XC geo trends and you won't need to wear lycra.
Just have heard that the suspension doesn't really do much, i think it's about pedalling platform?
To be honest I am chasing something like that 03 speccy enduro that I am riding, only newer, 125mm travel seems great. Not sure if the fork makes a difference in how it rides but the coil certainly does

Minlak

custom titis
Cheers mate, hadn't actually thought of coil clearance. . Off to have a look at pinkbike to never heard of a down country bike
A down country bike is the term being thrown around for the new range of bikes that would have been labeled as XC last season :)

So very roughly XC is considered to be 100mm ish of travel traditionally
Then they started going around the 120 and now in some cases 130 these bikes are being touted as more capable in the descents and have fancy chain stay flex etc to make them feel bigger than they are.

Pretty much Down Country is just the new marketing term applied to a shorter travel bike that is still "Capable"

Problem is they were always capable in the right hands - sounds to me like you need a trail bike something around 140mm travel

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Basically just cross country, couple small jumps and such, fire trails.
Just not into riding head down. I love looking at the scenery as I go.
Yeah they are not as 'uncomfortable as you think. I rode a 100/100 XC bike for years and only on trails like youyangs or harcourt did I feel the need for more travel.

moorey

call me Mia
Down county is wank speak for selling a new range of bikes we all had under a new name.
Banshee Phantom is a perfect example. Been around since 2013. The Spitfire V1 before that. Was dubbed the DHers XC/trail bike.
Long story short, a Phantom can be picked up pretty cheap, run as 27.5 (fuck 29”) and rides more like a 120/130 trail bike than 105mm.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Basically just cross country, couple small jumps and such, fire trails.
Just not into riding head down. I love looking at the scenery as I go.
-17deg slammed stem & syntace flat bars is what your after; in no time you’ll b threatening to go thru people’s rear derailleurs & shouldering peeps into the brush on tight corners

i like coil, but i’m lightish & ride light, so not heavy on the gear, therefore coil feels great for me as it just slides around naturally [george on the other hand likes his shock stiff/hard mostly] diff frames eg giant or spec feel stiffer due to maestro/brain, of the 4 guys i knew who bought spesh epic 100mm duallie all but 1 hated brain, saying it was too stiff, not active at right time. i had a lapierre with e-shock BS, i disconnected wires and ran it open mostly..which is prob what you want -just run shock in open/trail position, get some 35/40mm riser bars to pair with it, most xd forks will b cut down so not much room for adding spacers later

- if you want to enjoy the scenery a 130/120 trail bike will fit the bill, a mate has a spesh camber it’s 130f120r, is quite fast, on a min segment he’s nearly q0 sec faster than his sworks 150mm 29er tractor - yet it’s still quite forgiving with shock open, he rides it in derby buller etc, even took it to maydena but he said he couldn’t get his arse off the back of the seat anymore as the tyre burnt thru the skin

PS what wheel size you going for, sticking 26” or moving up in the world? i’m one of the few who prefer 27.5 for xc, nimble in corners, still but fun - ive tested couple 29ers, i’m almost always faster on 27.5- except for fire roads, but there’s only seconds in it

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
i like coil, but i’m lightish & ride light, so not heavy on the gear, therefore coil feels great for me as it just slides around naturally [george on the other hand likes his shock stiff/hard mostly] diff frames eg giant or spec feel stiffer due to maestro/brain, of the 4 guys i knew who bought spesh epic 100mm duallie all but 1 hated brain,
Not sure why you feel the need to drag me into this, but OK

SUPPORTIVE is vastly different to stiff/hard. Bikes are designed to use what travel they have as effectively as they can. It's no use blowing thru 50% of the travel on a 2cm rock.

@safreek, this is why short travel feels harsh, there's not that much room for movement. Comfort is a different beast, you're pretty much on the right track, there is a correlation between how high your arse is compared to your bars. You would probably only tolerate my Turner, and fucking despise my Trek

Last edited:

safreek

-17deg slammed stem & syntace flat bars is what your after; in no time you’ll b threatening to go thru people’s rear derailleurs & shouldering peeps into the brush on tight corners

i like coil, but i’m lightish & ride light, so not heavy on the gear, therefore coil feels great for me as it just slides around naturally [george on the other hand likes his shock stiff/hard mostly] diff frames eg giant or spec feel stiffer due to maestro/brain, of the 4 guys i knew who bought spesh epic 100mm duallie all but 1 hated brain, saying it was too stiff, not active at right time. i had a lapierre with e-shock BS, i disconnected wires and ran it open mostly..which is prob what you want -just run shock in open/trail position, get some 35/40mm riser bars to pair with it, most xd forks will b cut down so not much room for adding spacers later

- if you want to enjoy the scenery a 130/120 trail bike will fit the bill, a mate has a spesh camber it’s 130f120r, is quite fast, on a min segment he’s nearly q0 sec faster than his sworks 150mm 29er tractor - yet it’s still quite forgiving with shock open, he rides it in derby buller etc, even took it to maydena but he said he couldn’t get his arse off the back of the seat anymore as the tyre burnt thru the skin

PS what wheel size you going for, sticking 26” or moving up in the world? i’m one of the few who prefer 27.5 for xc, nimble in corners, still but fun - ive tested couple 29ers, i’m almost always faster on 27.5- except for fire roads, but there’s only seconds in it
Hoping for 26 but would consider playing for the other team, except 29.
But I think you are right, maybe a little more travel

safreek

Prediction:
This is going to end in a WTB for a short hucktastic hardtail with dual crown fork and 50mm riser bars
I would consider putting a long travel single crown on it but want to try riding a bike the way it's meant to be ridden, not the way I fantasize I ride

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I would consider putting a long travel single crown on it but want to try riding a bike the way it's meant to be ridden, not the way I fantasize I ride
Why not buy the bike you want to ride instead of a style of bike that you clearly don't want to ride? I don't get the point of this thread.