AM Norco Torrent A2 2021

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
It followed me home, can I keep it?

I've been wanting to get a new general-purpose hardtail for a while. Started looking in earnest last night. Was thinking Norco Storm for a while, then decided the Fluid HT1 would be more suitable. Went to the LCS to see if there were any available, and this was there, calling to me...

FRAME Butted 6061 Alloy
FORK Cane Creek Helm Air Mk II 29", 160mm, 44mm Offset
DRIVE TRAIN Shimano Deore, 11-51T, 11 Speed, 30T chainring
PEDALS Shimano Saint (taken off my daughter's bike that she never rides)
GRIPS PNW Loam
HANDLEBAR Spank Spike35 Vibrocore 25mm rise, cut down to 780mm
STEM 6061 Alloy 50mm Length, 35mm Clamp
SEAT POST KS Rage-i Dropper Post, 190mm
DROPPER LEVER Wolftooth Light Action
SADDLE Norco XC
BRAKES TRP Quadiem, 4 Piston, 180mm R/203 F
WHEELS Stans Flow D 29" 32H no-name hub F/Funn Phantom R
FRONT TYRE Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35" Perf/Twinskin/TLR
REAR TYRE WTB Trail Boss 2.25 Tough/Fast w/Cushcore
VALVES MucOff Green front/Cushcore rear

I plan on upgrading a few bits and pieces, but as it's mostly a 'just riding around' bike for now, what's on it is more than good enough.

* Edit: So, "a few bits and pieces" turned out to be half the bike, but I regret nothing!

Last edited:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I love torrents - thinking of selling mine to buy a new one lol
makes sense...not

love the deep green colour, can’t stand the fluoro lime stuff dvo put on their forks...what are they thinking? -anyone see the pale blue intense primer for sale in melb, with bright green dvo fork

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
That looks lovely mate! How are the Tektro HD-745 brakes?
Surprisingly powerful! Not the greatest feel, but all the stopping power my fat arse needs. They have the same calipers as the Slate T4, but with cheaper levers.

That fork isn't working for me. Upgrade arriving next week, hopefully.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Surprisingly powerful! Not the greatest feel, but all the stopping power my fat arse needs. They have the same calipers as the Slate T4, but with cheaper levers.
That fork isn't working for me. Upgrade arriving next week, hopefully.
what’s wrong with the zeron?

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
In addition to the Cane Creek fork, I also changed the bars to Spank Vibrocore, cut down to 780 (800 was just ridiculous), to try and help with the hand numbness that I often get when riding (any bike, not just this one). I can't say they've made as much difference as I would have liked, but it's done now.

I'm loving the hell out of this bike. Just need to put a grippier tyre on the rear for better climbing grip. The Nobby Nic just can't cope.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Nice, how are you getting on with the Helm?
Love it. I thought it would be really fiddly to set up with so many adjustability options, but apart from letting out about 5 psi after initial setup and winding both compressions back a couple of clicks, I haven't had to touch it, or think about it, or do anything except ride the bike and know it's going to do what I need it to do.

Last edited: