Norco optic v ibis Ripley AF

robbieraver

Likes Dirt
In the need of a short travel trail sniper, these 2 have really caught my eye. Want some trail side opinions.

Frame only I'm buying and same price.

Which one should I buy???

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
No trail experience, but the Ripley AF is currently not available frame-only (or at least it wasn't a couple of months ago when I enquired with Rowney :().

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I'm in between sizes and they have mine in stocko_O
Yes I know in stock
Frame only? Damn, what's the pricing like? I would have been seriously tempted by the Ripley AF if it hadn't been complete-only when I was looking. Again I have no direct experience of either but what little there was on the Ripley at launch suggested it was more on the sharp-handling dynamic side-hitter vibe than the "feels like more travel" mini-enduro Optic.

All rationale aside, the Ripley AF is sick and I'd definitely buy one over the Optic just on the vibe of it.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Frame only? Damn, what's the pricing like? I would have been seriously tempted by the Ripley AF if it hadn't been complete-only when I was looking. Again I have no direct experience of either but what little there was on the Ripley at launch suggested it was more on the sharp-handling dynamic side-hitter vibe than the "feels like more travel" mini-enduro Optic.

All rationale aside, the Ripley AF is sick and I'd definitely buy one over the Optic just on the vibe of it.
Ripley AF is $3300 as a frame. New Ibis’s are much larger than Ibis of old. As above Norco more of a short travel ‘enduro’ and Ripley more a sharp capable trail slayer.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
...but the seated position isn't much different to the classic Ibis size classifications IME...
Because the actual seat tube angles are generally much steeper than most other manufacturers, giving a shorter ETT on paper. In real life it just means you're not shunting the seat forward on the rails.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
In my quest to convince myself I needed a Spur, the review videos all seem to compare Ripley, Optic, YT ect..

The reviewed bikes are usually completes and the Ripley AF is 120/130, the Optic 125/140 so its no wonder that the Ripley always came out with the more rounded review and the Optic always won the descending award.

Very similar bikes but there is still a little bit difference in them.

robbieraver

Likes Dirt
Very true, similarities in both bikes but the ride is so different. The spur is out just on cost factor. I can build the entire bike with the cost of the spur.
I'm replacing a devinci django 27.5 ripper with either the optic or Ripley af

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had an Optic for a while, it's good bike. The don't ride like the numbers though, it rides like a 140/140 bike. Don't expect to set any KOM's going up hill, but it was heaps of fun in the other direction. It took me a while to get the suspension sorted but once dialled in it was a really good bike, I do sometimes find myself asking why I sold it.
Bad points:
  1. Mine ate bottom brackets
  2. Down tube protector was a bit poxy and in the wrong spot
  3. Cable retention plug thing in the down tube tears when you remove it

Haven't ridden an Ibis so can't compare.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the Ripley would be much more pedal friendly and the Optic is a bit stuck in no-mans.

Ripley gets my vote