No it is not an Apple

gippyz

Likes Dirt
It's here and it wasn't just dropped from the air!

IMG_20230203_121022518.jpg

On a more serious note. The frame is very well made. It's 4.4kg (small frame size) as you see it - without the fork. The downtube is chunky, remind me of Liteville.

Still waiting on few more parts before I can start building it up properly.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's here and it wasn't just dropped from the air!

View attachment 396713

On a more serious note. The frame is very well made. It's 4.4kg (small frame size) as you see it - without the fork. The downtube is chunky, remind me of Liteville.

Still waiting on few more parts before I can start building it up properly.
A mate of mine had one and got on very well with it.
Lovely choice there and keen to see the final build.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Sneaky look around their website and whoa... that is some pretty serious VFM these days considering the shock options to choose from. Also looks like subtracting VAT from the price makes up for shipping costs here too.

Looking forward to seeing the final build.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Mate has the 2017 V2. Great fun bike. Needs to use the climb lever a bit for climbs but think the kinematics have been tweaked since.

Look forward to the completed build.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Sneaky look around their website and whoa... that is some pretty serious VFM these days considering the shock options to choose from. Also looks like subtracting VAT from the price makes up for shipping costs here too.

Looking forward to seeing the final build.
It'll make up for some of the shipping cost. They use DHL and it is not the cheap. My shipping was 305 pound. But when I add them all up (and don't forget the import tax!), it's still very reasonable for a frame + shock. They have a dealer in queenstown nz, but it's not cheaper buying from nz.

If anyone is keen to get one of their frames, their website couldn't work out the shipping to Aus. So email them and they'll make a custom order for you.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
It'll make up for some of the shipping cost. They use DHL and it is not the cheap. My shipping was 305 pound. But when I add them all up (and don't forget the import tax!), it's still very reasonable for a frame + shock. They have a dealer in queenstown nz, but it's not cheaper buying from nz.

If anyone is keen to get one of their frames, their website couldn't work out the shipping to Aus. So email them and they'll make a custom order for you.
When i was looking for a new frame, it was actually quite surprising how competitive small European manufacturers were. Local prices for mainstream frames are pretty crazy when you can get alloy frames from germany or uk cheaper - often with custom geo and ohlins/EXT shock etc.

Frame looks great BTW. Looking forward to seeing it built up.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
FYI anyone considering one. The NZ seller won't ship to Australia. He's had some drama's with shipping overseas in the past so has decided to just stop completely.

My reasoning for inquiring is that I have too many shocks/forks/wheels not connected to bikes and I've never had a 27.5 bike...that's enough isn't it??

gippyz

Likes Dirt
FYI anyone considering one. The NZ seller won't ship to Australia. He's had some drama's with shipping overseas in the past so has decided to just stop completely.

My reasoning for inquiring is that I have too many shocks/forks/wheels not connected to bikes and I've never had a 27.5 bike...that's enough isn't it??
Ohh good to know. I never inquired as their price was more than buying direct from sheffield.

Heh that's plenty reason to get one! it'll feel weird riding smaller wheel if u never had a 27.5 before.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
It's built! Not perfect yet. Need shorter stem and the spacer to reduce the stroke to 60mm (they forgot to pack it when they sent the frame).

Forks: RockShox Lyrik 160mm
Shock: CC Coil Kitsuma 205x65
Drive Train: Deore 11spd, FUNN crank 165mmm, ZTTO cassette, chain, chainring combo.
Brakes: Formula Cura
Rotors: SRAM 200 F, Hope 180 R
Wheels: Syntace MX hub laced to Syntace W35 (Front) and WTB i29 (Rear)
Stem: Thomson 50mm (temporary)
Grips: Ergon GE1
Bar: Nukeproof Horizon carbon 35mm rise
Pedals: Nukeproof Horizon Pro
Dropper: Bikeyoke divine 125mm
Tyres: Goodyear Newton
Saddle: Funn Adlib cr-mo

While building it up, few things I like:
  • External wiring. God sent. Internal wiring can go to hell for all I care.
  • BB threads were well machined.
  • Hose and derailleur cable routing was well thought. Very neat. Will take closer picture.
  • The bolts holding the cable retainers across the downtube were long (unlike Liteville). No need to undo the bolts fully to sneak cables/hose underneath.
What I don't like:
  • Bottle cage position is a bit weird. The shock's piggy back was bumping onto the bottom of the water bottle. Not sure what's the solution for this. Get a funny cage which doesn't drop down as low?
  • The bolts for the frame's numerous bearings are 3mm (or maybe 4mm, can't remember). Way too small. They are not deep as well. So very easy to round them if you are not careful.
  • The end bits of the handlebar is super rough. Hard to slide the cockpit stuff in.
  • Too much locktites on the bolts that came with the Formula brakes. Had trouble adjusting the brake calipers and levers as the locktites are way too strong. They love the stuff, and I personally not a fan.

Had a super brief 4 km ride down some local tracks, and everything is working well. Super plush and buttery smooth. I defo need shorter stem. 50mm is way too long. Time to go shopping again.

Bike is stable down rooty descend and poppy for jumping (surprisingly). BB is low enough, lower than my Rune v3, and I much prefer it.

More ride reports coming once I have more time riding.

IMG_20230212_165149569.jpg
IMG_20230212_165211370.jpg
IMG_20230212_165304270.jpg
IMG_20230212_165312024.jpg

Last edited:

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Few thoughts on the components.

First, shout out to ztto for making solid stuff. I've been using ztto gears for at least a year now, and they haven't failed. This time, I used their dropper lever as well, which looks like a copy of the ks levers for bikeyoke, and they're great. Very positive feeling when pressing the lever, no sponginess, and cheap as well! I'm looking to try their hubs next to replace my no longer spinning Pro4.

The deore 11 speed derailleur and shifters are fantastic. I've only recently converted to 11 speed (some of my bikes still runs 10 speed), and have thus far tried slx, xt, and now deore shifters. Xt is still the best, but deore is much more bang for the buck! Very district click when shifting gear, unlike the slx I had on the rune. The deore derailleur is again, not made as well as xt (I haven't tried slx), made a bit more on the cheaper side, but heck, for the price, and the fact that derailleur is sort of disposable, I can't say too much bad things about them.

Nukeproof bar and pedals. I have been using that bar for a while, on different bikes. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with them. The quality of the bars tend to vary. The 35 mm I have this time is better made than the previous one I have. Ride quality wise, they're stiff, but not as stiff as sixc. Much stiffer than alloy bars.
This is my first time riding the nukeproof pedals, out of recommendation of a friend. They're grippy without being overly so when paired with my etnies shoes. Need more time on these, but so far, everything is good.

Have to fill up the piggy bank now. I'll write up some more later tonight.