Niner ROS 9

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
This one got my attention: http://www.ninerbikes.com/ros9

I'm aware an AM 29er hardtail isn't exactly a new concept, but this bike speaks to me. Short chainstays, Cro-mo frame, ability to run up to 140mm(!) forks and super skinny seat stays all add up to what could be a great, brick s***house all-rounder. Add a dropper post and ride all day, indulging your plow king fetishes whenever you wish. Plus being a hardtail it'll probably go alright up hills too.

Interestingly Niner did build a prototype 'Rip9 Hardtail' a few years ago, but the concept didn't get enough interest to go into production apparently....

Anyone else keen?/have other suggestions?

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
I`m a Niner fan and probably biased in my opinion, but a steel hard tail that can be set up SS or gears and longer travel up front for a bit more play going down? Sounds good to me. SIR 9 or ROS 9? Niner has it covered for those wanting the joys of steel. Glad this won`t hit our shores for a while as I just got a new Niner a few months back.
Cheers.
MH

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have always been dead against HT, but this could very well change my mind. More accurately the 140mm/SS/dropper post option.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is the type of bike I like, a throw in the van, and go rip some trails, kind of bike. SS all the way.

Last edited:

Hugor

Likes Dirt
I love it. Doesn't really suit the type of riding I do unfortunately.
For people who like riding these smooth flowy jumpy trails this type of bike would be amazing fun.
Its like a grown man's BMX.

loc81

Likes Dirt
This one got my attention: http://www.ninerbikes.com/ros9

Anyone else keen?/have other suggestions?
Looked at Cotic frames yet?
Reynolds 853 steel- super strong and damn light.
The Solaris handles only up to 120mm forks but take a look at the video in the link below and see what you think of it after that!
The SS frame option is called the Simple. The Aussie rep is a good bloke (he put up with my 1000 questions) and even has some demo bikes should you be around the ACT.

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/solaris

My blog: www.justmytype81.wordpress.com
Stuff about stuff I like- bikes, music, food and laughs. Subscribe.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I love it. Doesn't really suit the type of riding I do unfortunately.
For people who like riding these smooth flowy jumpy trails this type of bike would be amazing fun.
Its like a grown man's BMX.
look i agree but it just would suit 90% of my local trails. If my trails were a big groomed pump track - it would be great. Similar to what the British were calling a Woods bike - long travel, short stays, steel HT.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Looked at Cotic frames yet?
Cotic are definitely on the radar for a steel hardtail - thanks for the link. There are some sweet Cotic builds in the AM hardtail thread in the all mountain section. Also on the radar are Singular, Ritchey, Soma and dozens of boutique US brands (English, Bronto, Englin etc.) Price starts creeping up a lot with the 'handmade' stuff though, which means I might actually start caring about it - the antithesis of the brick shithouse AM hardtail.

I've got an Avanti KISS rigid that is by far the bike I crash the most and care for the least - because compared to carbon prima donas and duallies I don't need too. Very liberating. ROS 9 is currently top of the list for a replacement. Just seems to hold all the cards for cost, durability and versalitity. Plus smooth, flowy jump tracks are mondo fun.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Yes. That wins the award for most low-key launch ever. Main difference from XX1 would appear to be alloy cranks/chainset. Hopefully there is a corresponding price drop....
indeed. a rumoured groupset price for X01 of $1000-ish.
104BCD narrow-wide ring is cool, although they are a bit late to their own party.

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
indeed. a rumoured groupset price for X01 of $1000-ish.
104BCD narrow-wide ring is cool, although they are a bit late to their own party.
Will they really use 104bcd and limit chainrings to min. 32t?

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Will they really use 104bcd and limit chainrings to min. 32t?

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk
104BCD was a bit of an assumption, but this 32T ring fits like any other 32T ring on a normal crank spider.

could be the plan to push people who want a smaller ring up to the XX1 crankset.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
a rumoured groupset price for X01 of $1000-ish.
$1k?!? Next. Considering you can pick up XX1 for slightly over $1200 or XT for under $700 if you're prepared to dig around that RRP is disappointingly high. I'd want indestructible carbon cranks for that outlay, XO1 crankset looks cheap too.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
$1k?!? Next. Considering you can pick up XX1 for slightly over $1200 or XT for under $700 if you're prepared to dig around that RRP is disappointingly high. I'd want indestructible carbon cranks for that outlay, XO1 crankset looks cheap too.
you're comparing a rumoured RRP of one product, with the best price for another product?
funnily enough, X01 seems to be priced between those products though, exactly where it's targeted? :noidea:

Jerry Atrick

Likes Bikes
differently and interesting bike... pity i'm just setting up new off road bike (don't think i could get away with another project just yet)

did like what the ROS stood for.. Ride Over Shit

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
Looks like a typical SRAM non-series crank to me (not lack of X01 branding), likely only available on OEM builds cutting costs. My bet if aftermarket group will include carbon X01 crankset...