Nick D'Arcy - Kicked off Aus swim team.

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25302867-421,00.html
Nick D'Arcy has been kicked off Australia's swim team for the World Championships in Rome for breaching team bylaws. Australian swim officials today found it would be detrimental to the team if a member with a serious criminal history competed in the event, which begins in July.

The Queenslander had qualified for the world titles after smashing the national record for the 200m butterfly during last month’s trials.

The decision has the potential to split the Australian team because D'Arcy has support from several big-names, who believe he suffered sufficient punishment by being thrown out of the Olympic Games. D’Arcy levelled former swimmer Simon Cowley with a punch during a boozy night of celebration following Australia’s national trials last year.

A judge handed D'Arcy a 14-month suspended jail sentence last month after he pleaded guilty to recklessly inflicting grievous bodily harm. D'Arcy says he was provoked by Cowley, with the court accepting his case of self-defence.
Surely he's copped enough already?

brodie_rider

Likes Dirt
Personally, I think he deserves it. He shattered a mans jaw along with his olympic swimming career.

just my opinion in a nutshell

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Ha. I would have sooner prefered to have seen Ben Cousins dumped on his arse for drug related offences. Apparently these fools are 'role models' so they say...

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, he has coped enough IMO, it's time for them to move on, i mean, i think he would've learned after not being in the Olympic team, couldn't screw it up again could he!?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Realistically, he has been charged and convicted and sentenced, and then subsequently dragged through the dirt by a horrendously one-sided Today Tonight feature - the dude's reputation is in tatters, let him move on and let his swimming do the talking.

Sure, the dude's been a douche in the past - he's been sufficiently punished, give him a chance to prove he's capable of being an asset to the team. If he just gets himself in strife again, blacklist him.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Realistically, he has been charged and convicted and sentenced, and then subsequently dragged through the dirt by a horrendously one-sided Today Tonight feature - the dude's reputation is in tatters, let him move on and let his swimming do the talking.

Sure, the dude's been a douche in the past - he's been sufficiently punished, give him a chance to prove he's capable of being an asset to the team. If he just gets himself in strife again, blacklist him.
From SMH:

"Following Nicholas D'Arcy's conviction, the Board of Swimming Australia met on 6 April 2009 and unanimously resolved that Nicholas D'Arcy's membership of the Australian swim team to compete in Rome at the 2009 FINA world championships be terminated immediately under Swimming Australia Team By-Law 17.1.
So he hasn't been hard done by at all.

smeck

Likes Dirt
So he hasn't been hard done by at all.
He has actually, since he missed Beijing and now Rome for the same offence. The only difference is this time he's be dropped for actually being convicted of an offence, that incidentally he plead guilty to. Last time he was dropped for "bring the sport into disrepute", since they couldn't do anything until he was convicted.

The fact that they let him onto the team, most likely knowing he intended to plead guilty is a sham. He's paid the price by missing the Olympics, let him swim. Hopefully there are no more avenues for the board to can him over this same incident, so next time there's no excuse.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Now I know this is a bit rich coming from a pisshead like myself but I've never actually deliberately bashed someone because I was drunk and out of control.

Maybe if other sporting bodies started cracking down harder on shit like this we wouldn't have so many footy players acting like f***ing dickheads when they're out on the town.

pylet_thekid

Likes Dirt
He knew he was in the public spotlight at the time. Going out and bashing up a teammate was stupid. I don't believe he deservese (sp) the punishment he got, but it was stupid doing what he did in that situation.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Certainly, but the dude's face he smashed in was also an asset to them team.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Certainly, but the dude's face he smashed in was also an asset to them team.
Actually, he was a former Commonwealth Games athlete.

He also provoked d'Arcy in some way or another.

He also then went to Today Tonight, which strips him of all previous credibility as a vulnerable victim and makes him look like a money hound.

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hope D'arcy turns into a naturalised Mongolian or some Idontgiveafukistan country and smokes them all.
The maybe then Australian swimming will have a good hard look at themselves and realise what they have done.

smeck

Likes Dirt
Now I know this is a bit rich coming from a pisshead like myself but I've never actually deliberately bashed someone because I was drunk and out of control.

Maybe if other sporting bodies started cracking down harder on shit like this we wouldn't have so many footy players acting like f***ing dickheads when they're out on the town.
Neither have I, but if someone slapped you would there be something headed back the other way?

I'm not condoning the assault, but it's not like he walked up and started punching shit through him. The Magistrate's finding was that D'Arcy threw one punch after being slapped. Yes he's in the public spotlight, but at what point is it punishment enough. Its not like he was jumping on car bonnets, feeling up women, urintaing on blackjack dealers or carry on like some untouchable tosser. He reacted poorly to being slapped by someone he'd never met and made a very stupid decision to throw a punch in return. I have no issues with elite athletes being held to a higher standard, but I don't think D'Arcy should be destroyed like this. He missed the Olympics, has a criminal conviction, and now misses the Worlds, does he get a chance to make amends?

Regan, Cowley is/was a succesful swimmer at the Commonwealth Games, but he missed the cut for the Olympics. At his age it was also quite possibly his last attempt. His value as an asset is possibly justified, but its probably not as an elite swimmer.

Ozza

Eats Squid
Ha. I would have sooner prefered to have seen Ben Cousins dumped on his arse for drug related offences. Apparently these fools are 'role models' so they say...
Tough gig mate.

Im not going to go on and tell you Mental illnesses relating to drug issues are some serious problems!

I just want to add, I dont admire Ben for what he did or see him as a "Legend" as some kids would percieve him as for being into drugs, in trouble with the law etc.

Although I think his dedication and focus to get back on track with his rehab is a characteristic that shouldnt be turned a blind eye to. His career and actions over the next few months and even years will be vital.

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
As brodie points out, at least Darcy might have the opportunity to represent again; unlike Cowley.
So how exactly does a broken jaw bone prevent you from representing again?
That is if you actually had the ability to represent again, which Cowley probably didn't.

Bullshit bureaucracy pulling bullshit strings against people who don't deserve to be punished again IMO. Welcome to Australia.

ademb

Likes Dirt
Personally i'm in two minds over this. In one mind I do think he has suffered enough already, his reputation will be tarnished for years to come, he has missed one olympic games already and he has a conviction that will follow him for the rest of his life.

But then the other point is, this isn't the first time he has been involved in these problems, my girlfriend is a competitive swimmer also and knows of several other times that he has got into trouble, only to be saved by daddy and his deep pockets.

Do we really want to continually be represented by people like that?

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
let me just get this stRAight. in the wash up - daRcy got slapped by some bloke, and thRew one single punch back?

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
let me just get this stRAight. in the wash up - daRcy got slapped by some bloke, and thRew one single punch back?
Apparently no slap. And he threw an elbow with all his weight behind it, not a punch. You only do that when you want to annihilate someone.

F#ck him. Behave like that...you shouldn't be representing your country.

He's allowed to get on with his life within the confines of having a criminal record. The bloke he hit is worse off no matter how you look at it.