Newly Released Suspension & Components General

Jabubu

let you google that for me
SILT have a 'unique' hub too, no idea if it's decent but here it is (see giant video on website)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Looks like an interesting idea. Don't like the splines machined directly into the main hub body, if this wears your up for a wheel rebuild. Would be better if there was a steel splined ring threaded instead.
I've seen a few Giant road hubs blow up because of that; the aluminium hub shell doesn't have the shear strength, and the splines rip off. Would definitely be A Bad Idea for the much higher torque of MTB use.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
I've seen a few Giant road hubs blow up because of that; the aluminium hub shell doesn't have the shear strength, and the splines rip off. Would definitely be A Bad Idea for the much higher torque of MTB use.
I don't know the Giant design you are referring to and they may well be marginal on the shear area for the material used but I'm almost certain you don't have enough information for your statement to be accurate. I'm not about to sit down and run the numbers to prove it but I think it'll be plenty strong enough assuming appropriate grade and heat treat spec.

I know a thing or 2 about designing splined interfaces so feel confident in saying that it could be done if thorough design process is used.

It's like saying "CF is brittle so is def a bad idea for MTB frames!"

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I don't know the Giant design you are referring to and they may well be marginal on the shear area for the material used but I'm almost certain you don't have enough information for your statement to be accurate. I'm not about to sit down and run the numbers to prove it but I think it'll be plenty strong enough assuming appropriate grade and heat treat spec.

I know a thing or 2 about designing splined interfaces so feel confident in saying that it could be done if thorough design process is used.

It's like saying "CF is brittle so is def a bad idea for MTB frames!"
The Giant hub used DT star ratchet guts but instead of using the standard steel drive ring they omitted it and had the splines for the ratchet plate machined directly into the hub shell. I don't know what grade alloy they used for the hub, but it wasn't up to the task, as I aw multiple examples of identical failure.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
The Giant hub used DT star ratchet guts but instead of using the standard steel drive ring they omitted it and had the splines for the ratchet plate machined directly into the hub shell. I don't know what grade alloy they used for the hub, but it wasn't up to the task, as I aw multiple examples of identical failure.
In terms of the stresses involved with a splined interface like that, there's 2 that are really important. Shear is one and the other is the compressive load between the mating spline faces. Both are fairly easy to calculate and can be reduced by altering the geometry, within packaging constraints.
In saying all that, I'd also prefer to see that drive ring to be engaging inside a hardened steel sleeve. Purely for its ability to cope with a bit of grit or otherwise contaminated lubrication.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It bugs me that manufacturers often only provide gravity/DH casings with their softest compounds (or at least make gravity with better wearing compounds hard to find). Yes it makes sense for racing, but I don't want to have to sacrifice support/casing to go with a compound that lasts more than a month before losing all the edges (or entire knobs), or vice-versa with a harder compound that wears better but with a casing that punctures easier and has less support.

Ie, in Maxxis speak - DD/DH with MaxxGrip, vs EXO with MaxTerra

teK--

Eats Squid
It bugs me that manufacturers often only provide gravity/DH casings with their softest compounds (or at least make gravity with better wearing compounds hard to find). Yes it makes sense for racing, but I don't want to have to sacrifice support/casing to go with a compound that lasts more than a month before losing all the edges (or entire knobs), or vice-versa with a harder compound that wears better but with a casing that punctures easier and has less support.

You must ride a lot, or in areas with a lot of granite rock?

I use exo+ maxxgrip for example and get 12 months out of a front tyre. rear is max terra and get 6-9 months with average of 5 rides per month

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

eThirteen do their Grappler (~Assegei) 29x2.5" in enduro casings and an "endurance"/eBike ready compound.

Dirtworks are showing stock (and on significant discount) on their website:

Could be worth a crack.

I sort of suspect that the thicker sidewalls and harder compound might make the tyre feel very stiff though. I know that sounds a bit yeah-derr... But meaning it'd be less easy for the sidewall to conform to objects on the trail surface, side knobs deflect less so might either feel less grippy or give away a little more suddenly when right on the limit compared to an enduro/DD/tough casng with a soft compound rubber.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy