Newly Released Suspension & Components General

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The burning question for me:

Is there an optimal rotor hole shape (round, rhombus, dick shaped etc) and do the holes suit different pad shapes/brake manufacturers or are the manufacturers just making their holes different, just to be different?
From a feel perspective, many little holes are prefereable IMO. Slots tend to feel a bit notchy or prone to locking.

I wondered about different metal compositions of the discs too. Formula 'Monolithic' rotors are bitier than Hope rotors (in same diameter/thickness)

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I assumed the primary reason for the drop in mu at high temps was more to do with the rotor material than the pad material. Seems I learned something, thanks.

Can you post pics of your rotors, Oddjob? I'd like to see the pattern used.

I still don't think the slots/holes primary function would be to ventilate the gases under the pad, more so to dissipate heat from the rotor to prevent sublimation in the first place.
As heat dissipation is primarily about surface area, lots of smaller holes/slots is better than fewer large holes. BUT! Small holes clog with mud more easily, negating the cooling effect. The holes also need to be large enough to get a reasonable flow of air through them.

I just had an idea!!
Perhaps you have a favourable body type to test a spoke mounted cooling fan. As the wheel rotates, air is directed at the rotor?

*Edit*
View attachment 399146
https://www.bendix.com.au/news-events/what-causes-brake-fade-and-how-to-minimise-it

View attachment 399147
https://alconkits.com/drmassets/Brake-Fade-Solved.pdf
It was a standard Hope 203mm floating rotor with Shimano sintered pads running Saint 4 pots.

So like this

But a very dark purple rainbow.
Bike was a Banshee Legend 27.5.

I've now got Cura 4s on the Banshee, Nicolai, Liteville 301 and Rune. Running 203, 220, 203, 203 floating Hope rotors and Racematrix or Formula sintered pads. The Pole is running these beasts

Navigator 6 pots with ceramic sintered pads and Hope V2 widebody 203mm rotors.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Oddjob

From a feel perspective, many little holes are prefereable IMO. Slots tend to feel a bit notchy or prone to locking.

I wondered about different metal compositions of the discs too. Formula 'Monolithic' rotors are bitier than Hope rotors (in same diameter/thickness)
I'm a bit of a cheap fuck so have tried many many cheaper rotors and most of them work fine. Honourable mentions got to Uberbike, Discobrake and even the Lifeline and Clarks rotors.

The only rotors that I haven't done well with are these weird Lifelines that really thin out between spokes. I'll try and get a picture of them.

Have absolutely munted Shimano freezas so avoid them, and tend to warp solid discs pretty quickly. Floating rotors tend to stay straighter for longer, even after abuse.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Have absolutely munted Shimano freezas so avoid them, and tend to warp solid discs pretty quickly. Floating rotors tend to stay straighter for longer, even after abuse.
+1, I am always trying to tweak those Shimano rotors back into shape and I don't overly hit the brakes. Solids only seem to get a tiny bit on warpage in comparison.

Best of luck with bypass. People I've known that have had it done have had good results. You will be buff in no time.

Oddjob

+1, I am always trying to tweak those Shimano rotors back into shape and I don't overly hit the brakes. Solids only seem to get a tiny bit on warpage in comparison.

Best of luck with bypass. People I've known that have had it done have had good results. You will be buff in no time.
Buff! BUFF!!

For this level of fist biting starvation, skinny better feel better than sex on Adderall!

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
New Mattocs look like a great package. A mini Mezzer, MC2 damper up to 150mm travel and 1750g.

MattocPro2022-5529_1080x.jpg

Litenbror

Eats Squid
New Mattocs look like a great package. A mini Mezzer, MC2 damper up to 150mm travel and 1750g.

View attachment 399810

This is going to look great on the Ti hardtail :)

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy

View attachment 399810

Interested to see how the 34mm plays out with current marketing of bigger stanchions is more betterer. The previous Mattoc was a great fork and this looks to be a solid update.

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Interested to see how the 34mm plays out with current marketing of bigger stanchions is more betterer. The previous Mattoc was a great fork and this looks to be a solid update.
30% stiffer apparently. Having ridden the previous gen Mattocs. They were great for compliance/stiffness. I think this update will be spot on for the targeted category.
Mezzers are only a touch over 2kgs if want that additional stiffness.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
30% stiffer apparently. Having ridden the previous gen Mattocs. They were great for compliance/stiffness. I think this update will be spot on for the targeted category.
Mezzers are only a touch over 2kgs if want that additional stiffness.
I found the Mezzers were a bit to much for the trail bike (at 140mm they were really tricky to get right) but this sounds like it will be what I've been looking for. And they are almost the same weight as a Sid :D

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't

View attachment 399810

Love the gloss lowers...just everything really

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'm a bit of a cheap fuck so have tried many many cheaper rotors and most of them work fine. Honourable mentions got to Uberbike, Discobrake and even the Lifeline and Clarks rotors.

The only rotors that I haven't done well with are these weird Lifelines that really thin out between spokes. I'll try and get a picture of them.

Practically the same thing.

1684923810337.png

Jabubu

let you google that for me
The new Clarks four piston brake is an iiiPro brake - by all accounts it's a pretty decent trail brake too. Takes Shimano pads as well.