Newly Released Suspension & Components General

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Typical for SRAM whose stuff looks like shit and doesn't function
FIFY ;)

I actually like these as a proto/proof of concept. They’re ugly for sure but nice to see something genuinely novel. Wonder whether smoothing out the trusses etc (as you’d expect if it moved to production) would have detrimental impact on performance beyond strength:weight ratio.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Wishful thinking...all of it
Can someone please explain to me what was wrong with the Swinger 6 way? It had LSC, HSC, LSR and hydraulic bottom out control. Pretty much all the adjustment you could want, and this was back in 2005.

If Manitou re released it and gave it the fancy flexible IFP from the Mara then it would still be a top line shock.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Can someone please explain to me what was wrong with the Swinger 6 way? It had LSC, HSC, LSR and hydraulic bottom out control. Pretty much all the adjustment you could want, and this was back in 2005.

If Manitou re released it and gave it the fancy flexible IFP from the Mara then it would still be a top line shock.
The main issue i see with the mara is that the negative air chamber fills at assembly/service. So you have to rebuild your shock to get it to perform consistently after say driving up to an alpine region. Bit weird and fidly.
If that feature transfers over to another shock then its dead in the water as soon as it gets in the hands of a reviewer, just like the mara.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The main issue i see with the mara is that the negative air chamber fills at assembly/service. So you have to rebuild your shock to get it to perform consistently after say driving up to an alpine region. Bit weird and fidly.
If that feature transfers over to another shock then its dead in the water as soon as it gets in the hands of a reviewer, just like the mara.
But that's not a problem for a coil like a swinger 6 way.

It's weird that Manitou would shoot itself in the foot like that when it had so much good technology already. I've still got an old swinger 3 way air that outperforms a CCDBIL in the same size.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've run a mara hi for a few months now and have been nothing but impressed with it, it's at the top of my list for an upcoming build.

The compression adjustments give a noticeable change in feel and for a heavy rider I can set correct sag without it becoming harsh. My only gripe is that the rebound is still quite fast with the pressure I require. I notice it bouncing around setting it up but on the trail it is fine - I'm not getting wildly bucked when hitting jumps. If anything it has made me speed up the rebound on my fork.

For reference I also run an ext storia V3 on a different rig and have spent a lot of time on various other shocks.

I'd hardly call it dead in the water, I'd prefer it to most other air shocks on the market now. It's great value for money if purchasing from star bike I reckon.

To be fair I haven't been into the high country since fitting it so will bear this in mind next time I head there.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I've run a mara hi for a few months now and have been nothing but impressed with it, it's at the top of my list for an upcoming build.

The compression adjustments give a noticeable change in feel and for a heavy rider I can set correct sag without it becoming harsh. My only gripe is that the rebound is still quite fast with the pressure I require. I notice it bouncing around setting it up but on the trail it is fine - I'm not getting wildly bucked when hitting jumps. If anything it has made me speed up the rebound on my fork.

For reference I also run an ext storia V3 on a different rig and have spent a lot of time on various other shocks.

I'd hardly call it dead in the water, I'd prefer it to most other air shocks on the market now. It's great value for money if purchasing from star bike I reckon.

To be fair I haven't been into the high country since fitting it so will bear this in mind next time I head there.

How is it on repeated hits? I ran a McLeod out of curiousity and it was absolutely sensational at single hits but on repeated hits I couldn't get it to where I was happy. The rebound was super fast and the adjustment quite coarse, so finding the sweet spot was difficult.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How is it on repeated hits? I ran a McLeod out of curiousity and it was absolutely sensational at single hits but on repeated hits I couldn't get it to where I was happy. The rebound was super fast and the adjustment quite coarse, so finding the sweet spot was difficult.
I've not noticed it packing up, tends to ride high in its travel like the mezzer.

To be fair it's on an ebike so I have only tried the stock shock which was rubbish in comparison (deluxe select).