Newly Released Suspension & Components General

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Just like @Zaf did with the Newly Released Bikes General thread - Thought I'd start a thread for new suspension releases.

To kick things off - the "Marzocchi" (Fox) Z1 Bomber Coil:

Found this one interesting given the Z1 is basically a Fox 36 Rhythm in different colours, so this is effectively a factory coil Fox 36.

Disappointingly - "the amount of ramp-up isn't adjustable" as it relies solely on "the air and oil that's trapped in the lower leg", so to my mind the Vorsprung smashpot still looks like a better option for a Fox coil upgrade IMO, but it's interesting to see Marzocchi/Fox dipping their toes in the Coil water. Would still be a great fork IMO if you don't need the ramp-up. The basic Grip damper is a ripper damper, and if you really wanted separate HSC, you can upgrade to the Grip2 cartridge.

beeb

Yeah, it's really surprising how few non-Fox/RockShox duopoly product reviews there are out there... I know the things aren't free to make, but get some to the less-biased reviewers so that people can have a bit of confidence to buy the product.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Just like @Zaf did with the Newly Released Bikes General thread - Thought I'd start a thread for new suspension releases.

To kick things off - the "Marzocchi" (Fox) Z1 Bomber Coil:

Found this one interesting given the Z1 is basically a Fox 36 Rhythm in different colours, so this is effectively a factory coil Fox 36.

Disappointingly - "the amount of ramp-up isn't adjustable" as it relies solely on "the air and oil that's trapped in the lower leg", so to my mind the Vorsprung smashpot still looks like a better option for a Fox coil upgrade IMO, but it's interesting to see Marzocchi/Fox dipping their toes in the Coil water. Would still be a great fork IMO if you don't need the ramp-up. The basic Grip damper is a ripper damper, and if you really wanted separate HSC, you can upgrade to the Grip2 cartridge.
Ha that sight on coil is at least a 16kg bike. I would love to coil my 36 but fuck me my sight is a heavy beast already.

beeb

Ha that sight on coil is at least a 16kg bike. I would love to coil my 36 but fuck me my sight is a heavy beast already.
I've been so tempted to try a coil fork a few times. But if I'm honest I'm a weight sook (who's mostly only running a 36 for the better chassis stiffness and having a HSC adjuster), so I'm sticking with the standard 36 for now too.

This Marzocchi does make me wonder what will be offered with the (likely) upcoming Fox 38. Factory coil possibly? Would have to be a seriously hard-hitter to warrant it - but it seems like the 36 is pretty widely accepted as a "trail" fork nowadays, rather than "enduro only" - so I bet there'll be a healthy market for it when it appears.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I've been so tempted to try a coil fork a few times. But if I'm honest I'm a weight sook (who's mostly only running a 36 for the better chassis stiffness and having a HSC adjuster), so I'm sticking with the standard 36 for now too.

This Marzocchi does make me wonder what will be offered with the (likely) upcoming Fox 38. Factory coil possibly? Would have to be a seriously hard-hitter to warrant it - but it seems like the 36 is pretty widely accepted as a "trail" fork nowadays, rather than "enduro only" - so I bet there'll be a healthy market for it when it appears.
The 38 has new internals. I don't know if that means coil or valving though.

beeb

DT Swiss have the new suspension package out for the @Cardy George's among us, the F232 One.

32mm stanchioned, 1480-1510g, 100-120mm suspension fork.
320g shock with most metric XC sizes covered and a remote lockout options for both.
Seems almost ironic that the trunnion mount shocks are heavier than their conventional mount brothers.

As a side note - That upside-down seat post is an interesting jigger, and blissfully simple in design too.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
DT Swiss have the new suspension package out for the @Cardy George's among us, the F232 One.

32mm stanchioned, 1480-1510g, 100-120mm suspension fork.
320g shock with most metric XC sizes covered and a remote lockout options for both.
I'm very much liking the sound of that fork.

Am I correct assuming US $ though?