Newly Released Suspension & Components General

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Fucking hell. Should've lubed up before opening that link because I now feel more than a little violated. :oops: How are gearboxes not the norm yet?
Like @Asininedrivel part of my brain is interested is shiny new stuff that obviously took a lot of thought and work to produce but objectively, there is not a chance in hell I would ever justify that cost. I just checked and saw i spent $350 on an 12-speed SLX shifter, derailleur, cassette and chain. I also recently spent $150 on cranks. So $500 for a very good quality 12-speed groupo. I know it doesn’t compare to what SRAM just dropped but it’s all i need. Probably even more than i need. Could have gone Deore or 11 speed and still had as much fun on the trails…

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Spare a thought for those that just bought a new bike with the old AXS stuff! I read somewhere that pricing for the same year/model bike (SC?) refreshed with the T-Type system is cheaper than it was with the previous generation AXS.

I wonder whether a mechnanical direct mount derailleur would offer improvements in shifting over hanger-based mechanical setups, assuming something could be done to deal with side knocks. Possibly not likely to provide noticeable improvement, as the precise electronic shifting seems to be where the big gains are happening. In any case, SRAM has patented the direct mount derailleur, after their 'philanthropic' gifting of the UDH to the industry, so no one else is allowed to use direct mount without giving SRAM wads of cash. That's the SRAM we all know...

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
This one?
Nope. This is the old TR12, new one is EVO12

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I find it funny that Shimano tried to introduce what they were calling Direct mount 10 years ago, and it didn't have the best uptake. They abandon it completely with their most recent models, only for Sram to come along and pick up the pieces, and reassemble it with 1 less piece

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Interesting take

He lost me when he was going on about issues with factory dropout alignments and this was worse than a normal hanger which has some adjustability. Isn’t the derailleur essentially mounted to the rear axle and therefore better aligned to the cassette?

dazz

Downhill Dazz
He lost me when he was going on about issues with factory dropout alignments and this was worse than a normal hanger which has some adjustability. Isn’t the derailleur essentially mounted to the rear axle and therefore better aligned to the cassette?
Yes, unless it's not, then you're f#$#ed. I think the effects of what he is banging on about won't be too bad from new (in most cases).

What is shit is that as the parallelogram hinges wear a bit, or the assembly cops a big hit that does manage to bend something, normally the hanger can be given a tweak to compensate to get the thing back into proper alignment. The stiffness of this design totally removes that possibility, if alignment accuracy deviates enough to cause poor shifting, the ONLY option is replace the whole thing. Trying to straighten this thing would almost certainly just break it.

Great for SRAM, devastating for the budget.

teK--

Eats Squid
It is, but then the sides of each clevis (which are completely rigid), will clamp onto the sides of the dropout which may or may not be parallel or perpendicular with the axle.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
So anyone have a theory what they will do for GX AXS. Will there be UDH and other hanger model?

Or is SRAM going all out and forcing UDH on all (not a bad thing I guess) will their cable drivetrains go the same route? Interesting and wonder what if any response Shimano has given their direct mount not taking off.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
So anyone have a theory what they will do for GX AXS. Will there be UDH and other hanger model?

Or is SRAM going all out and forcing UDH on all (not a bad thing I guess) will their cable drivetrains go the same route? Interesting and wonder what if any response Shimano has given their direct mount not taking off.
The new Highlander had just went UDH apparently. Funny when they didnt make that decision with the Claymore.

maxresdefault.jpg

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
The new Highlander had just went UDH apparently. Funny when they didnt make that decision with the Claymore.

View attachment 398141
Saw that, given the Claymore is enduro and Highlander is trail I can’t see them going too long and slack, never know though.

The new SRAM AXS explains some of the new bikes (Ibis refresh comes to mind) with a 55mm chainline.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Saw that, given the Claymore is enduro and Highlander is trail I can’t see them going too long and slack, never know though.

The new SRAM AXS explains some of the new bikes (Ibis refresh comes to mind) with a 55mm chainline.
Get ready for my prediction that I said would come when they caught up with demand.

Supaboost ;)