Newly Released Bikes General

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Your yeti is a beast , I personally would keep it , and buy a ‘ more reasonably priced e- bike ‘
Yeah this is what I don't get - why buy a "lightweight" ebike? Buy the cheapest, heaviest, fattest alloy pig available with a shit groupset (gears don't matter on e), some half decent suspension and some heavy duty wheels. It's got a motor, and from the ones I've ridden the pork actually helps it track better. Deore, Yaris, EX511s and some 4 pots. Done.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Plenty of really nice gravel bikes for under 5k or even grab a second hand one to see if you like it.

Join the Aus bikepacking page on fakebook, plenty turn up there for sale.
Interested in a bikepacking trip? Check this out. could be right up your alley!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah this is what I don't get - why buy a "lightweight" ebike? Buy the cheapest, heaviest, fattest alloy pig available with a shit groupset (gears don't matter on e), some half decent suspension and some heavy duty wheels. It's got a motor, and from the ones I've ridden the pork actually helps it track better. Deore, Yaris, EX511s and some 4 pots. Done.
I'm not so sure. I get your approach but I've also seen a mate with an Orbea Rise. That thing is beautiful, even for an E-bike. Half-fat version of course..

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Nonsense.

When you ride something like a Kenevo SL as a fit rider it all makes sense.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Nonsense.

When you ride something like a Kenevo SL as a fit rider it all makes sense.
Ha! The Kenevo SL is probably the only ebike I'd consider owning, largely given it manages to look nothing like an ebike.

Still, I'm one of those weirdos who perversely enjoys the pain and suffering part of mtb, so ebikes don't make sense for me until I'm no longer physically able to ride what I want to ride.

Only reason I'd consider one was if it was to bang out some really long rides exploring the YTs or Plenty Gorge, so I'd be going for the cheapest one possible and relying on the motor to do 99% of the work.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Based on my observations, 'fit' and 'ebiker' are mostly mutually exclusive.
Can confirm similar here. I thought Chairman Dan had a ring of steel around this pandemic? You Victorians have let some fat guys with e-bikes slip the ring!

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This won't be for bike packing. That idea makes me vom. I like riding long distances as a fitness thing so would be doing day trips. I've ridden spin bikes upwards of 80-100ks for fitness and was the real reason I got into mtb. I had this vision/fantasy I could do both on the one bike. After buying an enduro bike, cos you know I read that cunts ride these things on long transition stages and I related that to what I was doing on a stationary bike. Big mistake. But as Bob Ross would say, a happy one.
Sorry to come back to this, but distance travelled is not a great metric for fitness.
If you want to see things 40km's away, then it makes sense, but time is the real metric (Unless you want to go down the power path, then that trumps all)

You won't be any fitter from riding the gravel bike for 3 hours than you would be from riding the MTB for 3 hours.
I can guarantee you will have higher average or normalised power over the duration of an MTB ride versus the gravel

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Sorry to come back to this, but distance travelled is not a great metric for fitness.
If you want to see things 40km's away, then it makes sense, but time is the real metric (Unless you want to go down the power path, then that trumps all)

You won't be any fitter from riding the gravel bike for 3 hours than you would be from riding the MTB for 3 hours.
I can guarantee you will have higher average or normalised power over the duration of an MTB ride versus the gravel
I find gravel to be good for the zen side of things, typically quite roads where you can tick the km's over with very little mental effort... but if you want to see stuff and get fit then fat bike is where it's at, in my humble opinion they make the most versatile all-rounder.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid

You're missing my point. Two riding disciplines, both offer something different. I can't get what I get from one with the other and vice versa.

The fitness aspect or distance is not a metric I'm using to compare the two, it was a comment I made about how I got into riding. I agree fitness is a side effect of either activity. The activities while both on bikes are a completely different flavour to each other.

There is no joy in riding a heavy enduro bike long distances on a a road or gravel tour.

Last edited:

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ha! The Kenevo SL is probably the only ebike I'd consider owning, largely given it manages to look nothing like an ebike.

Still, I'm one of those weirdos who perversely enjoys the pain and suffering part of mtb, so ebikes don't make sense for me until I'm no longer physically able to ride what I want to ride.

Only reason I'd consider one was if it was to bang out some really long rides exploring the YTs or Plenty Gorge, so I'd be going for the cheapest one possible and relying on the motor to do 99% of the work.
I thought it was established that e-bike discussion (new or otherwise) wasn't going to stink up this thread.