Newcastle......

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Just after a bit of a heads up on the tracks in Newcastle. Basically, there's a very real chance that we'll be relocating to Newcastle, the location hasn't been decided yet but a couple of potentials have been Toronto or Lambton. The only 2 tracks I know/ridden is Awaba and Glenrock. Ideally, I would like to move somewhere where I could pedal to some tracks(just don't want to have to put the bike on the car EVERYTIME I go for a ride) and if the tracks were light/medium DH or AM with some nice downs would be a big bonus. Not after locations to secret tracks :) just a "nice tracks round these parts" or "you'll have to catch a plane to ride if you move here" sought of thing.

I just want to be able to sit down with the Mrs and be able to say "there's no farkin way I'm moving there"....haha :)

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Ok, close to glenrock and environs is Merewether, Adamstown, high fields, kahibah whitebridge and Charlestown.

Other good riding areas are valentine and jesmond round the hospital - also tracks out west of wallsend, north of edge worth and killing worth .

funkymonkey

Likes Dirt
Toronto and surrounds not so crash hot...

Close areas that are nice would be wangi, fishery point or even some areas around mandalong (getting a bit far from Newcastle) I'm at Myuna Bay so 20 min to awaba, 30 to Ourimbah and 40 to Glenrock...

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Haha,,,, got the crappy cars covered... all the money goes into my two wheeled mistress :) then again I don't want to be posting in the 'Stolen' forum anytime soon,,, hehe

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been a Sydneysider my whole life and to me Newie has some great appeal! My girlfiend grew up there and so we are up there fairly often visitng family/friends!

Toronto on the whole is a bit rough IMO, most of that side of the lake seems to be a different demographic than Newcastle itself!

I know people that live in Jewell's (basically Belmont), Kahibah and Macquarie Hills (basically Cardiff) and they seem like pretty decent areas - Kahibah is super close to Glenrock! If I had my pick I'd love to live in Merewether or Bar Beach - I'd just have to win lotto first! :p

I guess one of the benefits of Newcastle is the traffic is nowhere near as busy on the weekends as it is in Sydney - to drive accross Newcastle isn't too much of a drama! Probably something to consider rather than pinpointing an exact location!

haltz

Likes Dirt
Im at Edgeworth, by car ive got 5 minutes to killingworth, 5 mins for DH at sugarloaf, 25 mins to awaba, 15 minutes to glenrock, and can ride from my house on decent single track for hours without doing the same trail twice, then ya 20 minutes to the beach and 10 minutes to lake, and central to newcastle and lower hunter valley which is handy no matter what ya do for work, id recommend checking out here (Edgeworth), west wallsend, barnsley, killingworth, cameron park, or even boolaroo, speers point, warners bay to name a few. you cant go too wrong anywhere in newy just stay outta mayfield, booragul and windale.

louestah

Likes Bikes
Come live in adamstown, its only a 5 minute drive to anywhere. e.g beach and shops. It only takes me 5 mins to ride to glenrock on my dh bike going via the fernleigh track

edit: Its a few minute drive from merewether and a whole lot cheaper to live in adamstown

Last edited:

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Come live in adamstown, its only a 5 minute drive to anywhere. e.g beach and shops. It only takes me 5 mins to ride to glenrock on my dh bike going via the fernleigh track

edit: Its a few minute drive from merewether and a whole lot cheaper to live in adamstown
Funny you should say that. In a previous life before MTB I used to go to Newcastle alot (prob 1 weekend a mth) and use to always stay at a mates in Adamstown. Back then it was all surfin n pubs, n I was so wasted I don't remember a thing.. Haha. It was a very different place then, but that was a long long long time ago :):)

dbowden

Likes Dirt
you cant go too wrong anywhere in newy just stay outta mayfield, booragul and windale.
Cmon Haltz, Mayfield isn't that bad! Its at least got to be better than West Wallsend! And to class it with Windale? Im slightly offended now haha!

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cmon Haltz, Mayfield isn't that bad! Its at least got to be better than West Wallsend! And to class it with Windale? Im slightly offended now haha!
Agreed. Mayfield is fine if you keep off the flats. Saying all of Mayfield is dodgy is like saying Adamstown is dodgy because its got that massive houso/bronx complex off Glebe road.

haltz

Likes Dirt
Haha yeah it's not all bad, to rephrase my entire answer. Numbers, your getting out of Sydney and comin to Newcastle, your movin up either way ;)

uppo

Likes Bikes
Newcastle

I also live in Adamstown. Apart from the annoying train crossing, it is really a great location and central to most things Newcastle has to offer.
The Fernleigh track is a great way to get to glenrock

Agreed. Mayfield is fine if you keep off the flats. Saying all of Mayfield is dodgy is like saying Adamstown is dodgy because its got that massive houso/bronx complex off Glebe road.
That complex is actually in Hamilton South!:gossip:

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That complex is actually in Hamilton South!:gossip:
Well there you go. Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit.

I used to live in June St and that was supposedly Merewether, so I've got no idea.

Last edited:

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Haha yeah it's not all bad, to rephrase my entire answer. Numbers, your getting out of Sydney and comin to Newcastle, your movin up either way ;)
Haha... It's not set in stone just yet, but would I have to get a Zerode to gain entry into Edgeworth? :)

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
A zerode? That ones gone over my head sorry haha
Hahaha.... Would've worked alot better if you had actually owned a Zerode eh :) sorry mate, please ignore, just another brain freeze moment by yours truly,,,,, I think I better lay off the ales :)