Newbie Questions

BlueFuzz

Likes Bikes
Being an uneducated 'L' plater in the riding scene, i have a few questions. Would you please be able to give me some suggestions?

Bikes

Although the links to Pink Bike articles were quite an entertaining read, there wasn't enough information in regards to stock bikes which those entering the downhill could purchase. I remember the days of Giants and K-Mart kids bikes, but have a feeling these may not be appropriate for the kind of caning expected on any of the tracks around here, let alone use as a road bike. Are there any kitted (not kittened belly_up) stock models within a reasonable price bracket you would suggest beginners (such as myself) would be able to set themselves up with?

Tracks

Rather than attempting a track like Lefty within the first few days of my future riding career and scaring myself silly, which tracks would you seasoned riders suggest to use with easy slopes and an occasional flat? Are there tracks within the Toowoomba area which can be utilised by both beginners and advanced, allowing individuals to either push themselves or take an easy ride? As in "What you put in, is what you get out"

Riding Style

In past experiences i found myself riding the brakes for difficult slopes and being unable to exert the control i wished to maintain... like sliding my back wheel round or just locking everything up. Apart from walking these areas, would you please be able to give me a brief rundown on how to increase the quality of my riding technique? and if there are any general tips on how not to ride like a dick?

By the way... congratulations on your site. Hope the hard work is paying off for you all.

Trying to Ride...

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Need some more info on what type of riding you are going to do, how much you want to spend etc to narrow the choice down quickly. :?:

BlueFuzz

Likes Bikes
Cruz

Thinking budget initially $500 (not including optional extras) 2nd hand always welcome.

In regards to riding... considering location and lack of skills, easy downhill in Toowoomba, but should be able to road bike it as well.

In other words a multi-purpose easy ride. :D

nathan

Likes Dirt
I would be trying to go some type of cross country hardtail setup. This doesnt mean you are restricted to cross country. I have used mine from everything from road riding to hammering down lefty.

If you only want to spend $500 you going to find it hard to get a decent bike. You will definately have to go second hand. Something like a Giant Rainier or Giant Iguana. Avanti hard tails are good to like the Baracuda. Try to go for a well know brand. Ty had a good bike for sale in the classifieds section for $800 but he sold it, something like the one he was trying to sell would be good for you. But you need the correct size also.

Try http://www.mtbreview.com/ they have alot of rider reviews of bikes and just about everything bike related. I use it like a "bible" when im buying stuff i dont buy something if i havent checked it out there first.

In relation to riding style and tracks you should come on a few club rides with us guys in Toowoomba. You will learn alot. As i have done. Any way hope this info helps.

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
Agreed, at the moment I think your best bet is to check out the local club (bikeline) for anyone trying to sell. Chances are you should find a descent bike in good condition. However, I think ~$800 is going to be a sweet spot for a ride that will do you proud (descent forks/frame/brakes/drivetrain).

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Trails such as:

Picnic Point & Quarter Pounder would do good to start off with..also suspension bridge and bridal trail :)

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
Yeah, start of trail riding on tracks like josh suggested til you feel comfortable riding off road. Once you're pretty good and dodging rocks and ruts jump onto some moderate DH tracks and see how it feels. I think jumping into the deep end from the start (although will be a quicker learning experience) will result in many MANY crashes.

belly_up

Likes Dirt
The fortunate thing for Bluefuzz is that she weighs the best part of bugger all, so she can ride most trails on pretty much any frame, even an XC one, without any fear of breaking it, unlike us heavy buggers. the converse side is that small frames are a lot less common than medium or large ones, thus harder to find. I think bluefuzz should be looking at a dirt jumper style frame, not for the strength, but for the low toptube.

BlueFuzz

Likes Bikes
After much deliberation with belly_up and from Pana's suggestions the budget looks to be revised if i want to get something that will last a bit longer than a couple of runs.

$800 seems to be about the going rate for some of the second hands mentioned, which is not too big an increment.

Do you have a site to visit on the DMR's Josh and will there be something that will accommodate my 5' and a bit height?

Is the Picnic Point trail the switch-back on the northern side which starts near the waterfall? Cause i did that on my old Repco (tee hee) and it seemed like a really easy ride.

Thanks for your suggestions.

:shock:

belly_up

Likes Dirt
The beauty of easy trails is that you can make them as hard as you want by going faster and faster each time. then when you think you can't possibly go any faster down that track, you watch Jared or Lindsay go down the same track, and realise how much room you have left to improve. Or you move on to a harder track and start the same process all over again.

nathan

Likes Dirt
I recon a small in a cross country frame would do you if you can find one that is, for the fact that it would be lighter than a dirt jumper. Have a look at www.freedommachine.com.au they have Specialized, Giant and Avanti hardtails. That will give you some idea.

Also i wasnt talking about Club Bikeline, they are roadies? Iv never been on their rides. If you want to know about our rides give me an email.

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hehe, pana is a little lost...club bikeline for mtb'ers doesnt exist anymore, no-one wants to associate with those so and so's.