New to BMX Racing, need advice on buying a BMX

Hey all,

I'm considering buying a BMX.
I just joined up at my local BMX club and had my first few races last night and am loving it.

I was using a multispeed STP 2008 which seemed to do okay - please note that I am not going to convert it to single speed, this is not an option as I have just converted it back to a multispeed for a reason, so it's staying as is.

I have two options:
1) continue using my hardtail
or 2) Buy a BMX; basically, my friend (half a head shorter than me and a little lighter) is selling a GT 2010 BMX in excellent condition for $100.
Would this be a good bike for BMX Racing? Would it be worth getitng this and using it instead of my hardtail?
Note I would have to change the tyres over but other than that it seems good to go.

Here's the photo of the bike I'm considering buying.
Thanks in advance
20527_10153164129948669_5681411213578359937_n.jpg

redbruce

Eats Squid
Hey all,

I'm considering buying a BMX.
I just joined up at my local BMX club and had my first few races last night and am loving it.

I was using a multispeed STP 2008 which seemed to do okay - please note that I am not going to convert it to single speed, this is not an option as I have just converted it back to a multispeed for a reason, so it's staying as is.

I have two options:
1) continue using my hardtail
or 2) Buy a BMX; basically, my friend (half a head shorter than me and a little lighter) is selling a GT 2010 BMX in excellent condition for $100.
Would this be a good bike for BMX Racing? Would it be worth getitng this and using it instead of my hardtail?
Note I would have to change the tyres over but other than that it seems good to go.

Here's the photo of the bike I'm considering buying.
Thanks in advance
Thats a BMX park/jump type bike. They are way overbuilt and heavy for racing (although you could - my son started racing on one).

I'd wait and get a proper race bike, it will be easier to ride and more fun to race.

Check out the open events in the BMX race calendar. They often have a market section where people sell/swap gear. You should find a decent bike for around half new price.

Last edited:

DJR

Likes Dirt
A race bike will be alloy frame, lighter components and different gearing. Generally no front brake either. If you're going to club meets ask around if anyone is selling a race bike, you may pick up one cheap or as redbruce says the opens are a great place to find bikes. Personally I'd spend a little more and get an entry level race bike from a shop, but depends on budget.

Ideate

For a $100 that looks fine to start off with.

Just strip the bike to suit racing. Take the front brakes off, take the gyro off for a straight cable, change the seat (lighter skinnier one as you won't be sitting or pinching the seat during a race), change the front tyre for some turning grip, get a cheap chain ring to suit your power and lastly consider going lighter less spoked wheels if money permits.

lol.. Just build a new bike from scratch.. BMX's are so cheap now. I've got a Terrible One SFA frame sitting in my garage that I bought for $800 (frame only). I'd be lucky to get $100 for it today as everyone makes cheap clones.. so now new T1 frames go for more than half that.

Race BMX

Thanks guys, you're completely right.
I did more research and realised that I need a race BMX.
There were some Redlines available but were a bit too pricey at the $450 mark.

I ended up buying this older model GT Power Series XL 20" for $100.
It's an old model (2001?) but bike is in good condition, just needs new tyres and grips.
Will test it out today.
Feels very different to my hardtail!

Attachments

jp80

Likes Bikes
That GT looks great for $100!!

20" is so different from the bigger wheels, just think in a direction, and its happening. I'm having a hard time choosing to ride my MTB these days. Have just started riding at the local track and am loving it so much, and being a beginner, the progression is addictive!

That GT looks great for $100!!

20" is so different from the bigger wheels, just think in a direction, and its happening. I'm having a hard time choosing to ride my MTB these days. Have just started riding at the local track and am loving it so much, and being a beginner, the progression is addictive!
Yeah jp it really is a nice bike despite the years :) I ended up getting it.
I'm from an mtb background, so I do not much like the lower centre of mass haha it's very different to what I'm used to, but I love it.