New To Adelaide [DH]

Harry14

Likes Dirt
Hi all, i am moving to Adelaide in the next month or so and want to know more about the local DH scene.
i am looking for someone who can guide me in the right direction and to the right people so i can start riding when i get there :)
Cheers Harry

Harry14

Likes Dirt
cheers mate :) that would be much appreciated. i move down about the 16th of january, go for a ride some time not long after :) haha

another couple of questions, is there much of a Dh scene around Adelaide?
what is the quality of the Bikes shops? i.e. is there much of a range?
and is there a state series or local series? or anything of the sort? haha
cheers again, Harry

Greeny_SA

Likes Dirt
Again, new at it, so I'm sure someone can give better input than me.

There seems to be a decent DH scene, usually see 2 or 3 shuttle run groups out at Fox on the weekends, provided it's not miserably hot. Don't think heaps of people ride the Eagle On The Hill DH Track, don't exactly know why, but I think it's not meant to be a great track and it's a prick to get to the top of when the gate isn't open.

Shops for buying bikes, or just gear, servicing etc? There is a shitload of bike shops here, but they mostly stock road / XC / road bikes. There isn't much in the way of DH bikes though, some Specialized, Giant, Trek and Intense, but not much else around. The service though is good, plenty of shop guys ride DH, so they know their shit, and can get whatever you need in. I use Trak Cycles in Norwood since I'm friends with one of the mechanics, and they all ride DH.

I think the local series starts up again soon'ish, like in a few months? The series covers a bunch of extra private courses that you wouldn't get to ride if you weren't competing, without jumping someones fence.

Best vague info I have anyways :p

botch

Likes Bikes
there are a few other DH tracks, depending on where you'll end up living. north of adelaide is Devils Gully, Bennets, and as Greeny said, Fox Creek, which has both DH and a big XC park as well...some nice single trail in there, with some basic DH stuff in the park (this is seperate to the main DH track/s).

There's some stuff to the south of Adelaide aswell, but I haven't been down tha way, so not sure what the tracks are like, so can't really comment.

Bike stores...well, again, lots. I have Specialized Pitch Pro, and we have a Specialized Concept Store, so I take my bike there, cos that's where I bought it. I think we also now have Giant Concept Store too.

sbr511

Likes Dirt
plenty of donwhill tracks in SA,
theres also a dedicated downhill club in SA,

dunno if im allowed to suggest other forums but google Inside Line MTB....