New Sunnies

Alexxx

Likes Dirt
I'm using some clear photochromic Rockbros from AliExpress, best feature is the spacer at the top that stops sweat running into the lenses.
If it's really sunny I use some $8 Kmart polarised sunnies.
I've never tried anything more expensive so no idea what the actual quality is like but ignorance is bliss.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I'm with you. Eyes are really sensitive to light generally, but I almost never wear sunglasses on MTB, even in the middle of summer at Youies. If I do it's the pink tint Oakley Prizm low light lenses only (and my goggles are the same), and that's really just protection from flying shit (or cold air in winter), not tint. Anything darker I feel like I can't see a fucking thing.
have you or @beeb ever tried the prizm trail lenses? I haven't personally, been using grey tint polarized Fuglies for the last 8 years, but about to take a punt on oakleys again. prizm black polarized for bright light, but might grab some prizm trail lens bike glasses if there's a good deal going during black friday or click frenzy etc

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
have you or @beeb ever tried the prizm trail lenses? I haven't personally, been using grey tint polarized Fuglies for the last 8 years, but about to take a punt on oakleys again. prizm black polarized for bright light, but might grab some prizm trail lens bike glasses if there's a good deal going during black friday or click frenzy etc
I've only got Oakley goggles. I have used the orangey-brown lens (with red/yellow mirrored finish) and it worked fine. I don't buy the "enhanced clarity" claims, but it certainly wasn't a hindrance. I just use a standard grey lens on sunny days and clear on overcast days. I do like that their lenses are moulded in their final shape, not a flat piece that's then pressed into shape. Lenses distortions do my head in!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yep my roadie sunglasses are Prizm trail. I wear them riding XC as well as on the road and they’re objectively great, but haven’t tried them on the big bike on more tech trails.

Previous pair had Prizm road which is darker than trail, maybe I should give the new ones a go this summer and revisit my opinion..! Actually bought them for that exact reason but haven’t been able to bring myself to try them on proper mtb rides. I suppose probably okay out in full sun but still don’t think I’d even try under tree cover. My eyes are weird though.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Yep my roadie sunglasses are Prizm trail. I wear them riding XC as well as on the road and they’re objectively great, but haven’t tried them on the big bike on more tech trails.

Previous pair had Prizm road which is darker than trail, maybe I should give the new ones a go this summer and revisit my opinion..! Actually bought them for that exact reason but haven’t been able to bring myself to try them on proper mtb rides. I suppose probably okay out in full sun but still don’t think I’d even try under tree cover. My eyes are weird though.
you could try walking a section of shady trail with the prizm trail sunnies, and if things didn't look right, then you can keep doing what you usually do, perhaps.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I'm looking at getting some Prizm Trail sunnies I think, I quite like the Sutro Lites but need to see if they suit my face.
I've got some Prizm Road ones I'm using and they go OK but as others noted are a bit dark for the trail.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I've tried a few.

Here's a sample of what I've liked/disliked:
  • Shimano Technium Offroad Trail – Polyamide (nylon) lens. Really nice trail tint (like oakley prizm trail). My new favourites for MTB. Very similar to POC blade shape. Vent well when riding.
  • Prizm road sutros (for ah... road). – Great for road - agree too dark for trails.
  • Oakley jawbones with yellow lens – Good for low light. Awesome shape and vented.
  • Skull Rider (Mondraker branded) – POC shape again. Bought on a whim. Lens colour not great for MTB. But ok for road. Fog up a bit on me.
  • 100% speedcraft (2 x AliExprecials). Good for general riding / commuting, lens quality ok. Nice and big for rocks flicking up on the road. Don't worry about losing them (lost 1 pair already) or scratching them up.
  • POC blade (2 x AliExprecial) – Also good for cheapos. Lost both pairs of these though hanging from neck of shirt while riding. Would buy these cheapies again.
  • Oakley jawbreaker (AliExprecial) – These were my first ali specials. They sucked. I went too cheap ($10 delivered) and got the dodgy plastic molded ones). About $30 is a good sweet spot for decent knock offs on AliEx I find.
  • Oakley holbrooks (casual rides) – Normal lens too dark for MTB, but good for sunny rides with the squids Recently got some rose tint aftermarket lenses to try out for trail. Need to try and add some rubber nose pieces and ear socks to use these when sweaty or they slip around too much for my liking.

Personally I'll definitely keep looking for sunnies with the nylon lenses like Shimano now. I saw SunGod had these too. Might try them in future

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Only thing that freaks me out with the cheap knock-offs is knowing that they filter out (darken) the visible light spectrum, but not knowing if they work on the non-visible/harmful light spectrums like infrared and ultra-violet waves. While most are probably fine - sadly not all are, and if they're not it won't do your eyes any favours. I'll happily buy cheap(ish) sunnies, but only from a known brand with local certification. Having owned an infrared converted camera, it's amazing how many artificially tinted/dyed things that appear dark to our eyes don't in infrared.

dirtdad

Would be weird to have non-polycarbonate lenses show up in cheap sunglasses given how ubiquitous and cheap the material is. And polycarbonate blocks UV. But yeah - there's always some level of risk.

For glass lenses, definitely would want to check. Although Maui Jim are my go to for glass lens (not for cycling) sunglasses. Their thin glass lenses are fricken awesome!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
For glass lenses, definitely would want to check. Although Maui Jim are my go to for glass lens (not for cycling) sunglasses. Their thin glass lenses are fricken awesome!
I bought a pair each year for many years, they are awesome glasses.

Getting very expensive though.

dirtdad

I bought a pair each year for many years, they are awesome glasses.

Getting very expensive though.
I couldn't quite believe how awesome when I first got a pair. I spent a few weeks getting everyone I saw to try them on.

Exxy though... yeah. So are good bikes.... :(

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Can’t someone come up with some wireless electronic shifting photochromic lenses - the analog ones aren’t up to it!

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Which Oakleys do you have? I have a pair of knockoff Sutros that I like so much i've epoxied the arms back on multiple times & am now considering actually getting a legit pair.
Just to update on this, got a legit pair of Sutro Prism Trail Torch sunnies - shit works yo. Build quality is better for sure, but what I wasn't expecting was for the Prism claims to actually be true. It does increase colour definition and contrast, noticeably so. Is it worth the money? Ehhh.. but I definitely don't have buyers regret at least.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Now looking at glasses due to a slight quirk with running upside forks...no guard so I'm getting dirt in my eyes. I'm looking at the Oakley Sutro with trail lens as it seems to highlight things on the trail and not turn it into a surprise feature. Any user feedback to tip me over the edge? I've found a set for $180 delivered and my finger is hovering over the BIN button.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now looking at glasses due to a slight quirk with running upside forks...no guard so I'm getting dirt in my eyes. I'm looking at the Oakley Sutro with trail lens as it seems to highlight things on the trail and not turn it into a surprise feature. Any user feedback to tip me over the edge? I've found a set for $180 delivered and my finger is hovering over the BIN button.
I got these earlier this year. Use them on both the commute to and from work, and out on the MTB. I like the bigger coverage, avoids the wind whistling around them and causing you to tear up when you're really humming. Have been happy with them in everything from dusk rides, overcast days, through to bright summer days. It's like riding with an Instagram filter on - colours really pop. Not sure if this enhances trail definition like they claim or just make everything look nice. Only downside is in really bright sun, which is only really an issue riding directly into the sun on a roady, on the MTB you'd hope you were looking down at the trail!

Last edited:

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Not sure if this still still on-topic. I don't want sunnies as such, just something to stop the wind drying out my eyes at night. Any recommendations?

ausdb

Being who he is
Not sure if this still still on-topic. I don't want sunnies as such, just something to stop the wind drying out my eyes at night. Any recommendations?
I just use non nerd looking clear safety specs, also used yellow tint ones as well. I think the last pairs were Bolle's. Also tax deductible in the right line of work :)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I've used clear Bolle Bandito glasses from work for several years now, rimless too if you can get them as light shining on clear plastic rims reflects in your eyes.
Used and tried a few different ones but always go back to these.