New Sunnies

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a big Oakley fan - Holbrooks are the only sunnies I wear, had 5 pairs on the trot - but I also don't like the shape of any of their sports sunnies and fancy seeing what else is out there
Oakley have some crossover variants which can use sport lenses.

Crossrange is nowhere near as offensive, casually, as a Flight Jacket.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but my private health insurance gives me $200 per family member back on optical each year (Not limited to prescription). The kids have been known to buy some sunglasses on our behalf - very thoughtful of them

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Oakley have some crossover variants which can use sport lenses.

Crossrange is nowhere near as offensive, casually, as a Flight Jacket.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but my private health insurance gives me $200 per family member back on optical each year (Not limited to prescription). The kids have been known to buy some sunglasses on our behalf - very thoughtful of them
I spend a decent amount of time on the Oakley website having a look, think I need to hit the LBS and have a look.
Unfortunately I've already blitzed my Optical limit on a set of prescription sunnies for daily wear - my latest pair of Holbrooks...

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
FYI Oakley had 50% off a lot of glasses last Black Friday sale with free postage. Took a week for a set to arrive from China. Was cheaper for me to buy frames direct and have prescriptions filled here than to get the lot through private health.
Will be stocking up this year if they repeat.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Email at 5pm.

Free DHL Express to Aus and free glasses capsule till midnight.

4KO Polarised Renegades are 70 pounds, which is $131au.

SunGod warranty is the best there is.

You can also buy replacement polarised lenses for $70 a set if you scrape them.

stirk

Burner
The last time this question was asked I'm still rockin my Fuglies slabs and they are just super comfy and total wrap so no sunlight from the side. Maybe not famous brand fashionable but I favour function over fashion.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Just jumped on the Renagade bandwagon, not a huge fan of coloured lenses so went the McClaren F1 Team option.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Ok I need to stop fucking about and get some new riding sunnies.

I was looking at the $40 Bolle ones at Pushys but someone mentioned that photocromic lenses are a bit slow to transition and suffer from glare. Does anyone own photocromic lenses and get on well with them?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Does anyone own photocromic lenses and get on well with them?
I mentioned they are slow to respond. But nonetheless I still wear them out riding. The situations where you come out of bright sun and into thick bush quickly are pretty rare. Mystic would be one of those trails, but most others the transition is a lot more gradual. Most places have moderate coverage and this doesn't make you go blind in 2 seconds like shredding in open sun then going straight into a thick plantation.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I mentioned they are slow to respond. But nonetheless I still wear them out riding. The situations where you come out of bright sun and into thick bush quickly are pretty rare. Mystic would be one of those trails, but most others the transition is a lot more gradual. Most places have moderate coverage and this doesn't make you go blind in 2 seconds like shredding in open sun then going straight into a thick plantation.
That's good to know! I think I'll pull the trigger on some cheap pink shades then.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ok I need to stop fucking about and get some new riding sunnies.

I was looking at the $40 Bolle ones at Pushys but someone mentioned that photocromic lenses are a bit slow to transition and suffer from glare. Does anyone own photocromic lenses and get on well with them?
A few of the guys I snowboard with have such lenses on $$$ goggles and love them. In theory those bolle glasses should be of a good quality.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Am I the only one that doesn't like tinted glasses for MTB? On the roadie I have some nice Shimano riding sunnies (which i got bent over for at the bike hire shop in Mallorca - 80 euros...), but for riding in and out of shadows in the bush I prefer clear lenses.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Am I the only one that doesn't like tinted glasses for MTB? On the roadie I have some nice Shimano riding sunnies (which i got bent over for at the bike hire shop in Mallorca - 80 euros...), but for riding in and out of shadows in the bush I prefer clear lenses.
I like lightly tinted sunnies & goggle lenses in bright sunlight, or clear on overcast days or night riding (well duh...).

I find most lenses have too much tint for me. The irony being that my eyes are hypersensitive to light, so you would assume I would want a dark tint, but nope. While dark lenses makes the bright bits more manageable, it feels like the shadows just turn to black - not shades of grey - so texture and depth/object perception is lost.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I like lightly tinted sunnies & goggle lenses in bright sunlight, or clear on overcast days or night riding (well duh...).

I find most lenses have too much tint for me. The irony being that my eyes are hypersensitive to light, so you would assume I would want a dark tint, but nope. While dark lenses makes the bright bits more manageable, it feels like the shadows just turn to black - not shades of grey - so texture and depth/object perception is lost.
Exactly the same for me - cant tell if its a root or a rock or a hole or just a shadow...

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty

I'm with you. Eyes are really sensitive to light generally, but I almost never wear sunglasses on MTB, even in the middle of summer at Youies. If I do it's the pink tint Oakley Prizm low light lenses only (and my goggles are the same), and that's really just protection from flying shit (or cold air in winter), not tint. Anything darker I feel like I can't see a fucking thing.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Trying to be logical and not answering like a teenager .
Factors are
  1. Facial Fit
  2. Price
  3. Photochromatic or not
  4. Climate hot or cold.
Here in NE Vic I wear photochromatic Ugly Fish glasses with a windproof liner in the cold for 6 months a year.
For the hot dry sunny weather when the grass is parched and reflective , moderately dark sunnies , if low light the Ugly Fish without the liner or clear safety glasses.
Eye injuries are a thing when wearing no glasses esp branches end on cant be seen.