New Sunnies

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Ozzy's suggestion looks good. I usually use the Bolle sidewinders (clear safety) at night. they weigh FA, and the nose piece and inserts on the arms are some sort of rubber. they don't more or slip and are comfortable. semi-rimless, but not really had major issues with the frame at the top causing reflection issues.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ozzy's suggestion looks good. I usually use the Bolle sidewinders (clear safety) at night. they weigh FA, and the nose piece and inserts on the arms are some sort of rubber. they don't more or slip and are comfortable. semi-rimless, but not really had major issues with the frame at the top causing reflection issues.
Just whatever you workplace supplies for free... as your employer cares about your eyes and encourages you to look after them when at home too.

We have the Sidewinder models in tinted, not clear. They are good glasses too, a bit more expensive than the El Cheapo Banditos.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Just whatever you workplace supplies for free... as your employer cares about your eyes and encourages you to look after them when at home too.

We have the Sidewinder models in tinted, not clear. They are good glasses too, a bit more expensive than the El Cheapo Banditos.
the Bolle sidewinders also come in a grey/dark tint polarised. I used to have the ones like Ozzy, I just find the sidewinders more comfortable.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Quick update on the Oakley Sutro glasses with prism trail lenses. In a word awesome.

I paid $150 from just sunnies.

Biggest compliment I can give them is they have not provided any distraction at all on any downhill trail. My main concern was how they would perform under trees going in and out of shade but it has proved to be a non issue.

Early morning cold air that made my eyes stream on quicker trails is deflected somewhere else so no moments of blindness mid trail.

I basically forget I’m wearing them until I have to pedal back up again when inevitably a bead of sweat drops onto the lens to remind me to take them off.

Stoked with the purchase, even if they do look very endurobro.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Quick update on the Oakley Sutro glasses with prism trail lenses. In a word awesome.

I paid $150 from just sunnies.

Biggest compliment I can give them is they have not provided any distraction at all on any downhill trail. My main concern was how they would perform under trees going in and out of shade but it has proved to be a non issue.

Early morning cold air that made my eyes stream on quicker trails is deflected somewhere else so no moments of blindness mid trail.

I basically forget I’m wearing them until I have to pedal back up again when inevitably a bead of sweat drops onto the lens to remind me to take them off.

Stoked with the purchase, even if they do look very endurobro.
Good to hear, I’m still after a set but my LBS hasn’t had any in yet

Switch

huskier headed gent
MTB direct have Oakley Sutro with Prizm Jade lens for $127 or Prizm Road Jade lens for $151 in their clearance sale to help seal the deal for those playing at home.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
The Oakley web store also has a pretty good sale on, $108 and $113 for some colours.

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I've used Jetblack speed dealers for the past 7 years or so, usually paid around $30 with three sets of lenses and bought a couple pairs at a time.

I recently got some basic ProChoice safety glasses for $9 for commuting but the arms are a bit chunky and nose piece is plastic so not great for MTB.

Those Bolle's look good.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I've used Jetblack speed dealers for the past 7 years or so, usually paid around $30 with three sets of lenses and bought a couple pairs at a time.

I recently got some basic ProChoice safety glasses for $9 for commuting but the arms are a bit chunky and nose piece is plastic so not great for MTB.

Those Bolle's look good.
They look exactly the same as the Aldi ones I use, now I know where to get the year round.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Looking at some new sunnies for commuting duties on the new gravel ride. I would prefer something polarised but the Bolle safety range jump up by about $40 for that option. Looking at a set of these, Contour smoke platinum (which means they are scratch/fog resistant) for $30 and can pick them up from around the corner where I'm picking up the new ride.

1692882725978.jpeg

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I rate these Shimano sunnies.
https://www.pushys.com.au/shimano-t...llic-black-w-red-ridescape-off-road-lens.html I’ve got a spare pair in the cupboard if I lose/break/wear out my current pair. On sale we’re closer to $50 from memory.

Some of their other models might be more what you’re looking for in style. Not sure if they have polarised. These Shimano ones use polyamide (PA, nylon) lenses, like the high end sungods. Super clear, and haven’t scratched yet.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I had posted this in bargain buys, but belongs here now that i've discovered/been reminded of this thread.

Sale (carve.com.au)

I usually just buy polarized UVwraps from bunnings. I bought 3 pairs from carve for the price of 1.5 uvwraps

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Looking at some new sunnies for commuting duties on the new gravel ride. I would prefer something polarised but the Bolle safety range jump up by about $40 for that option. Looking at a set of these, Contour smoke platinum (which means they are scratch/fog resistant) for $30 and can pick them up from around the corner where I'm picking up the new ride.

View attachment 402016
Rode with these today, top notch, very happy - especially for $30. Quite sturdy but very light with supurb field of vision (the only think you can see is the area around the bridge of your nose). Most of the time I totally forgot that I was wearing them.

I can finally throw the 4year old $20 taobao knock off jaw breakers that are held together with tie wire in the bin.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Rode with these today, top notch, very happy - especially for $30. Quite sturdy but very light with supurb field of vision (the only think you can see is the area around the bridge of your nose). Most of the time I totally forgot that I was wearing them.

I can finally throw the 4year old $20 taobao knock off jaw breakers that are held together with tie wire in the bin.
have been rocking the previous Sidewinder ESP version of these for years (work and bike).. they are great!

Bolle Bandidos are also surprisingly good for a $5 safety glass, but fit close and fog a bit