New Sunnies

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I've been using a pair of Oakley sunnies when riding and the tint isn't great offroad and the lenses aren't big enough - I keep getting glare above/below them and it annoys the hell out of me.
With that in mind, I'm after a new pair that I can use offroad and on if I can.
I'm after:
  • Good coverage - I'm pretty photosensitive so any sudden glare hurts my eyes
  • Good contrast on the trail
  • Aesthetics - no Pit Vipers or face shields!
I've been looking at the Sungod sunnies with maybe a pair of lenses for each discipline

Are there any that people have a good experience with?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I've been using a pair of Oakley sunnies when riding and the tint isn't great offroad and the lenses aren't big enough - I keep getting glare above/below them and it annoys the hell out of me.
I'm after:
I've been looking at the Sungod sunnies with maybe a pair of lenses for each discipline

Have you looked at the Bolle's on Pushys? The Mod lenses are photocromic.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I used to not see the point of expensive oakleys but their current prism tech is pretty darn good for contrast compared to other brands. I was sceptical but after trying them they are really sharp. Can't you just find a set of oakleys that have enough coverage, they have pretty much any shape you want?

photocromic
If you are sensitive to sudden glare, photochromatic is not great. I've found in some instances they are way too slow to respond. Nearly binned it coming from the opening at bright into the dark tree covered part of the trail, basically lost vision and had to actually stop to wait for it to settle in.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Which Oakleys do you have? I have a pair of knockoff Sutros that I like so much i've epoxied the arms back on multiple times & am now considering actually getting a legit pair.

Last edited:

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
If you are sensitive to sudden glare, photochromatic is not great. I've found in some instances they are way too slow to respond. Nearly binned it coming from the opening at bright into the dark tree covered part of the trail, basically lost vision and had to actually stop to wait for it to settle in.
I forgot I was wearing my glass sunnies once and I almost crashed from the glare, luckily I times the corner right from memory otherwise I'd have Hambo'd for sure.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Sungod !

Was a Maui Jim slut for many years, now got 3 pairs of SunGod Renegades in different colours.

Mine are all 4KO Polarised, I had 2 pair before they released the 8KO, they are clear as a bell so couldn't see the point paying 50% more for the new 'better clarity' 8KO.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I'm after:

What size head/face have you got? do you need a small, standard or large frame size?

as Calvin said, photochromic are a bit poo and slow to respond. They will never cut glare in bright sun, generally speaking

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

Maybe just me but I am hard on sunnies. Gave up using expensive ones and just buy tinted Bolle safety glasses. Drop them and they get scratched? Throw them away. Can also be used for grinding, cutting and mowing.
Bolle sidewinders are roughly $72 (with discount) for the grey polarised version. The clear ones are my go to night riding glasses.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Bolle sidewinders are roughly $72 (with discount) for the grey polarised version

I pay $30-35 depending on style... that is crazy money.

Ah, polarised lens more than doubles the price. I don't ride in the water, much anyway.

ForkinGreat

These?

cool, that's a better price ($60.50 for the polarised), even with $11 shipping

@Dales Cannon - a grey polarised lens is my favourite for driving or riding. a good neutral tint and reduced glare.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
cool, that's a better price ($60.50 for the polarised), even with $11 shipping

@Dales Cannon - a grey polarised lens is my favourite for driving or riding. a good neutral tint and reduced glare.
Can't say I have bothered apart from fishing off a boat on a very rare occasion. As I am the worst fisherer I liked looking at the sea floor. I might try again though the price = 3 pairs...

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Sungod !

Was a Maui Jim slut for many years, now got 3 pairs of SunGod Renegades in different colours.

Mine are all 4KO Polarised, I had 2 pair before they released the 8KO, they are clear as a bell so couldn't see the point paying 50% more for the new 'better clarity' 8KO.

Any guide as to the fit of the Classics frame, small head, big head, etc.?

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Maybe just me but I am hard on sunnies. Gave up using expensive ones and just buy tinted Bolle safety glasses. Drop them and they get scratched? Throw them away. Can also be used for grinding, cutting and mowing.
Not just you, my kids steal my sunnies and destroy them. So I grab a handful of $5 safety glasses sunnies from the local safety shop whenever I'm there. Cheap and plentiful so I keep a couple in the car, one in my hydropack and some spares hidden from little Destructo-hands.