New standard: 152mm Extreme QR boost speciale

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Decided to start promulgating a new standard to beat all rear axle standards. You take the stiffness of a 19mm hub axle in boost config, add some custom end caps that bring the width out to a clearly superior 152mm wide and insert the flexiest Ti QR skewer you can find. The combination of a super stiff 19mm axle, the big bearings and all the other German made goodness in the hub combine beautifully with the untensioned spokes. Super compliant for more traction when railing the berms. Also, stretching your rear triangle apart preloads the frame for additional stiffness.

Of course, its all laced to carbon hubs with mandatory alu (yes alu!) spoke nipples. Seriously, it doesn't get any better than this.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Well, I wasn't sold on the other boost standards, but this one seems like a proper game changer. Sign me up!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Sounds good, a few pointers though.

1. You have to make it sort of like another existing standard, but completely incompatible.
  2. The axle diameter should be in decimals (i.e. 19.9mm) because that showed you mathed it instead of just picking the number out of your ass. This measurement also meets criteria 1.
  3. It can take a 6 tooth cog, yes?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Take my money.

Make sure you pick a thread pitch that is incompatible with anything on the market but as long is it provides marketing 33% rigidity.

Don't clearly define the thread length so manufacturers can make their own interpretation and let it be too short or too long on the dropout threads.

These two innovations are bound to make it an exercise in suffering for another that dares to swap an axle with a friend to get them out of trouble.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
This bike designer caper is getting easier and easier.

As long as you insist not to make anything backward compatible. Throw in a bit of marketing speak about why it is more awesome than last season's effort that we already told you was awesome and you are not a true MTB'er and missing out on the 'experience' without said shiny new goodie.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think the next obvious step is an oval through axle, 20mm in the major axis and 15mm in the minor. All of the strength of a 20mm axle, weight savings of a 15mm axle and guaranteed not interchangeable with current 20 and 15mm axles.
Has someone recently picked up work with trek? Because this kind of visionary leadership should be heading up their r&d department.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Job offers from Spacialized, Shrek and Cracknfail are guaranteed. If feel at this point it has been a group effort or dare I say it, the work of a Committee. Imagine what we could achieve if we were to form a new 'standards' committee...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Job offers from Spacialized, Shrek and Cracknfail are guaranteed. If feel at this point it has been a group effort or dare I say it, the work of a Committee. Imagine what we could achieve if we were to form a new 'standards' committee...
Bureau please.