New SC Bullit

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I do need some more mining equipment. Do you guys have a drill big enough to reach the Earth's core? If not you're a bunch of useless cunts so fuck off! But if you do I'll pay by western union please.

moorey

call me Mia
Well price is really subjective currently - 13k to 17k for them currently - Pretty much inline with other high end offerings currently in place.
It’s a sad reflection when $13-$17,000 is considered reasonable for a mountain bike.

Minlak

custom titis
It’s a sad reflection when $13-$17,000 is considered acceptable for a mountain bike.
I don't disagree at all - However with current pricing it is in the ballpark :( - Prices seem to be out of control and think about shops like 99 Bikes able to offer massive amounts of bikes - The margin on bikes is a lot higher than it ever has been before. :(

moorey

call me Mia
The talk a couple of years ago was that prices would start to noticeably drop as technology improved and demand/competition increased.....instead, a top end bike is approaching double what it was. Yes, there's been improvements, but a $13k bike will come with Yari and NX spec, where as an $8k bike used to come with XT and fox factory (at least me mates eTracer did about 2 years ago before they added $5k to it overnight with no changes)

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
The talk a couple of years ago was that prices would start to noticeably drop as technology improved and demand/competition increased.....instead, a top end bike is approaching double what it was. Yes, there's been improvements, but a $13k bike will NX spec, where as an $8k bike used to come with XT and fox factory (at least me mates eTracer did about 2 years ago before they added $5k to it overnight with no changes)
This is what I noticed the most - the prices going up and specs going down. I did like with the Ripley that I was in control of the spec list to some degree and the price changed according to spec - I wasn't just told here it is.

The giant range to some degree offer good value for money and normally several spec options to match a price.

moorey

call me Mia
The giant range to some degree offer good value for money and normally several spec options to match a price.
$7500 trance comes with spec I'd frown on for a $1500 bike.
I'm just glad I have no interest in riding an eBike, because I'm fussy on spec, and would quit riding before buying something $10k+ that still needed a full part swap.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The talk a couple of years ago was that prices would start to noticeably drop as technology improved and demand/competition increased.....instead, a top end bike is approaching double what it was. Yes, there's been improvements, but a $13k bike will come with Yari and NX spec,
$13k for NX spec does seem pretty harsh. Prices go up for all sorts of products and reasons but rarely come back down once the consumers accept it.
Remember the piffle about cars made in AU vs. imported cars. Jacking up the price up for imported cars to protect local industry. Now local car production has gone but you sure doesn't see those imported car prices taking a dive either.

It is all about setting consumer expectations. SC are no longer a smaller manufacturer running out a fish cannery factory that weld their own frames. Those days are done. Pon seem to own a bit of everything and are probably into making nice profits https://pon.com/en/about-pon/companies/

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I noticed that when I bought the Cannondale, piss poor spec for what was an expensive bike when it was released. Cannondale lefty carbon tax. I have swapped out pretfy much everything other than the stem and seatpost. Was looking for a wheel upgrade but the front hub seems to be about as good as they get and I am happy with Stans rims so no real point. @Minlak ebike seems a good spec though that is likely at wallet pain.