New/Old School XC Hardtail

BKMad

Likes Dirt
I had a hankering to get a hardtail after many years exclusively riding full suspension bikes. My local tracks are pretty smooth and flowy for the most part and most of my riding is just general trail riding with the occasional XC race to get the old heart pumping a bit harder. I like a fairly light bike so common sense would suggest that a carbon hardtail would suit best. So, after much deliberation, I ended up with a steel frame weighing just over 2.5kg and built up a bike from there using various online and local shops. For the first time ever, I've built a bike without buying from an overseas bike shop - they simply weren't any cheaper than the local guys.

First ride off road was on Sunday afternoon. At first I thought I'd made a massive mistake as being on a hardtail again was a bit brutal on the arse and back. Lets just say that I wasn't feeling any of the famed steel compliance. But after a while it all came back to me about hovering over the seat on the rough stuff. When putting the power down this thing flies through the singletrack. Once I get more used to it, I think its going to be great. A few tweaks are needed too including a dropper, more comfy saddle and still messing around getting the right bar height.

Frame - Ritchey Ultra
Rear shock - My legs
Front shock/fork - RS SID
Handlebars - Renthal Fatbar
Stem - Controltech 50mm
Headset - Can Creek 40
Grips - Odi lock ons (something I had laying around but needs to go - colour doesn't match)
Saddle - Joystick binary (something I had laying around but needs to go - doesn't suit my arse and colour doesn't match)
Seatpost - Giant (will replace with a dropper soon - just put this on to get rolling)
Front brake - SLX with 180 rotor
Rear brake -SLX with 180 rotor
Cranks - Raceface Aeffect R with 32t
Chainguide - nope
Chain - XT 11sp
Pedals - shimano m520
Front derailleur - nope
Rear derailleur - XT 11sp
Front shifter - nope
Rear shifter - XT 11sp
Cassette - XT 11sp
Front hub - Sun Ringle Charger
Rear hub - Sun Ringle Charger
Front rim - Sun Ringle Charger
Rear rim - Sun Ringle Charger
Spokes - Dunno
Nipples - Dunno
Tyres - Maxxis Ardent 2.25 F and Rekon Race 2.25 R
Tubes - nope
Total weight - 12kg ish

Attachments

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I had a hankering to get a hardtail after many years exclusively riding full suspension bikes. My local tracks are pretty smooth and flowy for the most part and most of my riding is just general trail riding with the occasional XC race to get the old heart pumping a bit harder. I like a fairly light bike so common sense would suggest that a carbon hardtail would suit best. So, after much deliberation, I ended up with a steel frame weighing just over 2.5kg and built up a bike from there using various online and local shops. For the first time ever, I've built a bike without buying from an overseas bike shop - they simply weren't any cheaper than the local guys.

First ride off road was on Sunday afternoon. At first I thought I'd made a massive mistake as being on a hardtail again was a bit brutal on the arse and back. Lets just say that I wasn't feeling any of the famed steel compliance. But after a while it all came back to me about hovering over the seat on the rough stuff. When putting the power down this thing flies through the singletrack. Once I get more used to it, I think its going to be great. A few tweaks are needed too including a dropper, more comfy saddle and still messing around getting the right bar height.

Frame - Ritchey Ultra
Rear shock - My legs
Front shock/fork - RS SID
Handlebars - Renthal Fatbar
Stem - Controltech 50mm
Headset - Can Creek 40
Grips - Odi lock ons (something I had laying around but needs to go - colour doesn't match)
Saddle - Joystick binary (something I had laying around but needs to go - doesn't suit my arse and colour doesn't match)
Seatpost - Giant (will replace with a dropper soon - just put this on to get rolling)
Front brake - SLX with 180 rotor
Rear brake -SLX with 180 rotor
Cranks - Raceface Aeffect R with 32t
Chainguide - nope
Chain - XT 11sp
Pedals - shimano m520
Front derailleur - nope
Rear derailleur - XT 11sp
Front shifter - nope
Rear shifter - XT 11sp
Cassette - XT 11sp
Front hub - Sun Ringle Charger
Rear hub - Sun Ringle Charger
Front rim - Sun Ringle Charger
Rear rim - Sun Ringle Charger
Spokes - Dunno
Nipples - Dunno
Tyres - Maxxis Ardent 2.25 F and Rekon Race 2.25 R
Tubes - nope
Total weight - 12kg ish
Sweet; would love one of those.

slowmick

38-39"
Maybe a dropper? Having the seat out of the way makes for much better leggy suspension.
Great looking bike by the way.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I like! Would the rear stays fit some 2.4" rubber for a bit more squish? It looks pretty tight back there.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the kind comments
Yeah a dropper is on the to do list.
The SID is running at 120mm. The frame is designed around a 120 fork. So far they seem pretty good. They aren't the ultimates, they're the select version. They don't soak things up as good as the Mattocs on my other bike but certainly work well enough so far. No noticeable spiking or packing up on repeated hits so far. No problems with stiffness with them with the 35mm stanchions.
Its also my first time on 29 inch wheels. Liking the rollover and the speed they carry, but definitely noticing the extra effort to change directions.
The geo seems to be slightly modernish but still a bit old school. HA is 68.5 so a bit slacker than most XC hardtails but SA is 73 and reach on a large is 445mm. So its not super short and is slightly slack gut not full on downcountry or whatever they call it. I had to size up to a large to get the reach I wanted.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
I like! Would the rear stays fit some 2.4" rubber for a bit more squish? It looks pretty tight back there.
According to Ritchey, it will take up to 2.4 rubber, but as you say it is a bit tight. 2.35 Maxxis which size up small would probably be the max I would use. I reckon a big 2.4 would rub or be extremely close.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Yeah lol about the compliance

It's not suspension, it's just less harsh than aluminium. There's a subtle difference that you won't notice unless you go from one to the other. If you go from dual to hardtail it'll be harsh regardless of the material.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Yeah lol about the compliance

It's not suspension, it's just less harsh than aluminium. There's a subtle difference that you won't notice unless you go from one to the other. If you go from dual to hardtail it'll be harsh regardless of the material.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk
Ha ha all stuff I once knew having owned various steel and aluminium hardtails - just so used to a dually after riding them exclusively for probably 15 years now.