New/Old member checking in.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Love Pivots. One bike I’ve never owned that I’d like one day.

The only thing I’d swap from the get go are the wheels. Crank Brothers were smoking crack when they designed these. Love their pedals. Hate their wheels.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They will be fine for xc riding and look cool. Just don't get heavy with them. The dropper will sell you out when you least expect it. The one pictured here lasted a few rides around town for a lady rider before an unexpected collapse.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
They will be fine for xc riding and look cool. Just don't get heavy with them. The dropper will sell you out when you least expect it. The one pictured here lasted a few rides around town for a lady rider before an unexpected collapse.

View attachment 386018
In their defence it was different and kinda interesting to make a rim that you could replace spokes on without even needing to remove a tyre. Yep, probably an answer to a question no one asked but woteva they look cool.
I will never get sick of watching that

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
In their defence it was different and kinda interesting to make a rim that you could replace spokes on without even needing to remove a tyre. Yep, probably an answer to a question no one asked but woteva they look cool.

Rear wheel on my trials bike was the same design, just built betterer. Was good.

View attachment 386018
That's what it'll be used for mostly, XC, singletrack, and work up to the Oaks Fire trail. Never was into big drops, or even jumps for that matter. That's mostly from having an old Klein Pulse Pro hardtail. Climbing, and nailing lines as fast as possible. That's about the limits of my talents.

But, in time, I'll put my own stamp on it. I knew the wheels were a bit average so that'll be a few months of Analysis Paralysis, and the Race Face flats aren't that exciting, so a pair of old school Time ATAC's will make their way on it sooner rather than later.

As for the seat post, it's quite comfortable for me when it's almost right down, so that might delay it failing for a bit. Not interested in a Reverb for $500 ish new.

I still have to set up the suspension adjustment for my weight as the previous owner is nearly 20kg heavier than me (88kg vs 70kg) so once that's set up then I'll worry about where I ride and that'll chart what way I go with what gets upgraded and when.

I saw one user review of the wheels say barely half jokingly that you should buy a few spare spokes and have them with you when you go riding just in case, so that's confidence inspiring.

safreek

And I thought the flat spots you get on ColesWorth trollies were bad!

Looks like I'm off researching rims then. (Yes this stack might be just bad luck, but any excuse to find some weird, rare, wheels to put my stamp on the bike.)
Edited to add a word so it made sense.
You are mad if you don't give them a crack. Got 2 sets and even the light weight version is handling things fine.
If you listen to what everyone else says you will never be one of the cool kids

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I'l loving the bike, but not buying the bike mechanic bit. not a chance in hell a bike mechanic is willingly running a kronolog, and the whels are probably a stiff breeze away from taco tuesday.

Freeky keeps saying his are holding up fine, but i'd say he's probably replaced them 14 times in the last 5 rides - its still the same set of wheels as long as you only replace one at a time, right? I imagine his backpack looks something like this when he heads out:

(in all seriousness, ride the wheels till they give in, ive got a set on daughters bike for years and they've given us zero grief. The dropper is going to die though, and quickly by all accounts. order a brand x ascend from CRC and you might be lucky and have the dropper make it to delivery day)

safreek

I normally only bring one spare set of wheels in my backpack, easier to replace a wheel than a spoke.
My only gripe with the crankies are that some old sealant has eaten out a small bit of the valve hole. Nothing some good clear sealant don't fix.
When you have designer wheels you need to ride like a boss, tis all