New D/H rack from GripSport

Scratch6

Likes Dirt
I think Scratch6 was talking about our "Rack-Light" per this...
Yup i sure was. I've ordered the bike plate from vicroads (costs around $28) but aparently they don't give you a generic one on the spot and has to be sent out to you (takes 5-10 working days).

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
HTML:
what kind of car do you have? If there were some other point that you could load the weight on to take some or all of it off the towbar (think supports from the rack fitted to the bed of a ute) then that style would definitely be a goer.. Been thinking along those lines now myself. If that's not an option then agreed with Grip, 6 bikes worth of bouncing tow bar isn't ideal I wouldn't think.
Hey Dunndog/Grip

Its for a LC Prado so has the two inch hitch so maybe it has enough carrying capacity on the towbar...found this on the specs 'permissible ball load of 250kg' however totally get the concern about somebody trying to mate it to a getz! A friend of mine has the actual NSR 6 on his LC and it hasnt fallen off yet! We use it for AM bikes tho not DH so loads will be around 120 - 150kgs (assuming 30kgs for the rack - NSR's weight).

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Hey Dunndog/Grip

Its for a LC Prado so has the two inch hitch so maybe it has enough carrying capacity on the towbar...found this on the specs 'permissible ball load of 250kg' however totally get the concern about somebody trying to mate it to a getz! A friend of mine has the actual NSR 6 on his LC and it hasnt fallen off yet! We use it for AM bikes tho not DH so loads will be around 120 - 150kgs (assuming 30kgs for the rack - NSR's weight).
The problem is, if we're only making a one-off for a customer (because as explained above I'm not interested in this being one of our "products") then someone has to pay for the design/prototyping cost and trust me... that would end up costing more than buying an existing product (where they've already done all of that).

This isn't an issue if you're building the thing yourself as a backyard, one-off hobby project where time isn't expensive, but no business could afford to do it without charging and at $90 per hour (our standard rate) you can see how quickly that would add up.

The bottom line with getting anything custom made is that you either have to provide full tech drawings and engineering specs, OR an exact sample of what you're after so it can be copied, OR you have to pay for design work etc.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
No worries, thats what i figured and i think it would take you alot longer than 12 hours to make the thing from scratch (the cost of getting one from NSR) and thats not including materials! Ah well hopefully NSR get back to me otherwise its off to TAFE for some welding courses!

Toxic

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately no. The "Classic" (original) Hi-Ride was rated for 2 bikes up to 17 kg each and had a frame designed and built for that loading. While the new "Downhill" model looks pretty similar it's actually not and has been designed and built as a true downhill carrier and is rated for 2 bikes up to 28kg each.
I'm not talking about putting two 17+ kg bikes on a Classic Hi-Ride. I just need to space the axles of some combos of bikes I have. For example, the wife's Salsa Caballero (10-ish kg) and my Devinci Remix (13-ish kg) have wheelbases where rear derailluers are very close to wheel nuts/QR's, necessitating padding to stop rubbing happening on long journeys. Using the new hoops would space the wheels well away from each other.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
I'm not talking about putting two 17+ kg bikes on a Classic Hi-Ride. I just need to space the axles of some combos of bikes I have. For example, the wife's Salsa Caballero (10-ish kg) and my Devinci Remix (13-ish kg) have wheelbases where rear derailluers are very close to wheel nuts/QR's, necessitating padding to stop rubbing happening on long journeys. Using the new hoops would space the wheels well away from each other.
Call me (03) 94662553

Toxic

Likes Dirt
Brain not functioning. Derailluers are on the "outside" when on the rack. QR nuts, fork legs and other frame bits too close to each other.

Will try to remember to call on Monday.