New Brakes? Yes no maybe?

Minlak

custom titis
Ok so have the Trance X E-Bike it weighs a Tonne and I weigh 2 Tonnes - So when going down hills etc it has a lot of momentum behind it - I have 4 Pot Shimano 8120's on their with uberbike ebike specific pads and hope 203mm floating rotors. It all gets super hot on long descents and the brakes will start to fade from use. After my recent off I know I am going to feel the need to control speed even more when I am riding again.
I have had Hope E4's but would sooner stay away from Dot fluid - thinking the downhill version of TRP or maybe Magura's to replace the Shimano. Or am I going to end up with the same result and should resign myself to the fact its just too much weight to be trying to pull up quickly?
I have the same brakes on my Ripley and have never felt under braked on it the same was on my Norco - I have never been super happy with the brakes on the E-bike maybe its actually just the brakes themselves and not anything else.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Ok so have the Trance X E-Bike it weighs a Tonne and I weigh 2 Tonnes - So when going down hills etc it has a lot of momentum behind it - I have 4 Pot Shimano 8120's on their with uberbike ebike specific pads and hope 203mm floating rotors. It all gets super hot on long descents and the brakes will start to fade from use. After my recent off I know I am going to feel the need to control speed even more when I am riding again.
I have had Hope E4's but would sooner stay away from Dot fluid - thinking the downhill version of TRP or maybe Magura's to replace the Shimano. Or am I going to end up with the same result and should resign myself to the fact its just too much weight to be trying to pull up quickly?
I have the same brakes on my Ripley and have never felt under braked on it the same was on my Norco - I have never been super happy with the brakes on the E-bike maybe its actually just the brakes themselves and not anything else.
This -

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I am also a large human and enjoy stopping when I want to. I've got M9120s on one bike that have been massively improved with Galfer pads - I'd recommend giving the ebike versions a go as an interim / cheaper solution. I doubt you'd be disappointed.

I've also got some TRP DHR Evos coming for the new big bike - mainly because all reviews have been superlative factories. Also going 223mm rotors F/R.

Otherwise just try and find a set of Saints. Cheaper than most high power stuff and still really good - just lose a bit of modulation.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Are the rotors oilslick now? Discolouration front or rear, or both?

If the back is all pretty rainbows and unicorns, try whacking a 223mm rotor on the back. On descents, the back is copping all the abuse, and will be the main reason for the fade.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The curas are a great brake.

I'm going to give the Hayes dominions a crack on the next build. Not mineral oil though.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
TRP's DHR EVO's they use a 2.3mm thick rotor. Most other brakes use a 1.8mm.

Other option is Hayes Dominion with thicker rotors like Hope, TRP or Brakestuff.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I m chunky - imagine a fridge , with a head - make it an old school double door one

Not going to claim I had a real issue - 203 mm frt n rear M8 series 2 pot Shimano with finned pads
But went to ice tech rotors , same pads etc

marked improvement in confidence - dunno if stops any better , they do get warm ... hot I dunno .

ps , I am not an expert , however I do like to stop , as opposed to using the surrounding scrub to slow me down