New bike time - suggestions?

LPG

likes thicc birds
@LPG is the Australian rep for Bird, I'm sure he'll push you into one.
I'm in Melbourne, your can take mine for a hack if you like
Yeah, I'm a fan of Bird. I've have my V1 Aeris AM9 for 2.5 years and often think if I had it stolen or similar I'd build another one up. It's an awesome bike and their customer service is awesome (but a bit UK centric if you want things like test rides etc)

@Dangals If you want to try a ML size AM9 I am in Wollongong.I could give you a bit of a tour of the local trails. FYI I am ~179cm and am happy on my ML. I could probably just as happily fit a L with a shorter stem than my 45. The difference between my V1 and the current is mainly linkage progression, the V1 had a extremely progressive linkage at 49% where the current V3 is 29% from memory (still progressive bit not so extreme and will work better with air shocks and lighter riders).

Dangals

Likes Dirt
Don't you dare get a Nicolai G1...
As nice as some of these super boutique builders are I am leaning towards sticking with something that I can source locally as don't want to be dealing with an overseas vendor for any warranty claims etc. I do like the custom build feature though, would be nice to just go crazy via that for sure.

If you want to try a ML size AM9 I am in Wollongong.
Thanks for the offer LPG, haven't had a chance to read up on those yet but if they are something I want to look into further I very well may take up that offer.

Reactions: LPG

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I don't want a Saturn 14 GPI. I don't want a Saturn 14 GPI. I don't want a Saturn 14 GPI. I don't want a Saturn 14 GPI. I don't want a Saturn 14 GPI. I don't want a Saturn 14 GPI. I don't want a Saturn 14 GPI. I don't want a Saturn 14 GPI. I don't want a Saturn 14 GPI. I don't want a Saturn 14 GPI. I don't want a Saturn 14 GPI. I don't want a Saturn 14 GPI. I don't want a Saturn 14 GPI. I don't want a Saturn 14 GPI...

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
biggride.com.au seem to have some Knolly and Mondraker in stock if any of those appeal.

Dangals

Likes Dirt
Is there any bike we haven't suggested? :D
Yes I had a feeling something like this would happen when I created a post with New Bike in the title.....

I can rule out the Nukeproof now as they released the stock allocation for Aus yesterday and it is 2 bits of sweet FA and so not prepared to wait till next year to get one in my size.

Going to keep reading up on some of these suggestions and see how they will fare with the type of riding I tend to do. If anyone has more info on why Bike XYZ would make a good choice certainly feel free to share your thoughts here.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
e of these suggestions and see how they will fare with the type of riding I tend to do. If anyone has more info on why Bike XYZ would make a good choice certainly feel free to share your thoughts here.
You're going to get as many opinions on this as you did on bike options, but my main advice would be work out where you can narrow the list down a bit... Alu/Carbon? 27/mullet/29? Trendy high pivot? Full-size water bottle? Dual crown compatible? Coil shock preference or air? etc etc

Honestly, just about any bike in the 150-170mm range these days is remarkably versatile compared to the Norco Shores and VP Frees of old. So the type of riding consideration is almost secondary to me other than to set the ball park for travel/geo/genre.