New Bike Park for Sydney - Glenworth Valley

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well that wasn't very one sided was it?

I feel my position regarding this idea and those pushing it to be well substantiated after reading that.

Just imagine if there already was an awesome trail network on the central coast! Further imagine if it was on public land and open for all to use for free! Oh wow...if only such a thing existed.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
"East Coast Bike Park"

hmmm... I guess they either really like using the same initials as established parks (GV anyone?) or didn't really check that name, given that East Coast Mountain Trails are already well established and in the process of doing their thing up Barringon way... Looking pretty exciting what these guys have got going on:

I won't hold my breath about the East_Coast_Bike_Park just yet...

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
"East Coast Bike Park"

hmmm... I guess they either really like using the same initials as established parks (GV anyone?) or didn't really check that name, given that East Coast Mountain Trails are already well established and in the process of doing their thing up Barringon way... Looking pretty exciting what these guys have got going on:

View attachment 381613

That looks awesome!

Flow-Rider

Burner
What a story, and the wait a minute punchline.

" It looks like the folks at Glenworth Valley are in the process of updating their planning and sorting out issues with zoning, unfortunately, Synergy has moved on."

creaky

XMAS Plumper
"East Coast Bike Park"

View attachment 381613

I really need this kind of excuse to get back to Barrington Tops!

mark22

Likes Dirt
Full of crap from the start as predicted, UCI rounds and my favourite a Chairlift !
If that didn't ring any bells. I hope you don't miss your donation I'm sure they put it to good use.

LPG

likes thicc birds
What about the bit where they basically describe that they had concerns about getting the paperwork, approvals and bureaucracy sorted. Their solution was just overhype it and get supporters to front cash for promises of things that were becoming less likely by the day. :O You wouldn't be happy if you donated any serious money to this and then read that they knew where they sat even while they marketed the shit out of the thing as if it was finalised.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I didn't read into it as being done in bad faith. Just bad decisions, putting too much faith in an MOU, or inexperience in managing such projects.
Getting an MOU from the landowner was probably a good idea, but it doesn't mean squat if you don't get the lease itself signed and govt approvals. To me, saying the landowner changed things on them when time came to put pen to paper on the lease agreement and the council approvals suggests the landowner might have relaised they weren't getting enough $$ for their effort/interest. Maybe this means they were getting the rough end of the stick, or maybe it means the project was less than viable from the start.
Now, whether they continued to run a campaign to crowdsource funding for their legal bills after they realised it wasn't likely to get off the ground... who knows?

Flow-Rider

Burner
What about the bit where they basically describe that they had concerns about getting the paperwork, approvals and bureaucracy sorted. Their solution was just overhype it and get supporters to front cash for promises of things that were becoming less likely by the day. :O You wouldn't be happy if you donated any serious money to this and then read that they knew where they sat even while they marketed the shit out of the thing as if it was finalised.
I got that from the article too, but makes me wonder how accurate the reporting was, because how could the already existing recreational centre that already submitted plans to council for other upgrades concerning their horse riding business not know anything about the processes?

It sounds like they expected everything to fall into their lap with the aid of govt funding, trail building companies have a fair idea what's involved with councils in regard to costs and jumping govt hoops in planning. You can't always use what's happened in Derby as example for the rest of Australia, it was a different set of circumstances and the local government was susceptible to mountain biking trails.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Man im pretty hard to pull the wool over, but i was all over this when i first heard mono-rail.. i mean chairlift. Yeah nah i didnt put one cent in, because i knew the beer there would have way too much hops and be bitter shite, also making reference to some bloody bicycle component, packaged up in those flimsy generic aluminium cans.
If they drank cascade export stout bloody place would be full of braking bumps and spoilt teens on Pivots and Commencals by now

LPG

likes thicc birds
I didn't read into it as being done in bad faith. Just bad decisions, putting too much faith in an MOU, or inexperience in managing such projects.
Getting an MOU from the landowner was probably a good idea, but it doesn't mean squat if you don't get the lease itself signed and govt approvals. To me, saying the landowner changed things on them when time came to put pen to paper on the lease agreement and the council approvals suggests the landowner might have relaised they weren't getting enough $$ for their effort/interest. Maybe this means they were getting the rough end of the stick, or maybe it means the project was less than viable from the start.
Now, whether they continued to run a campaign to crowdsource funding for their legal bills after they realised it wasn't likely to get off the ground... who knows?
I agree, it wasn't in bad faith, but it was a pretty silly decision that put your reputation at risk.