New Bike Park for Sydney - Glenworth Valley

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Really sad to hear that for a lot of reasons. Like many I was very skeptical of the huge psych around it, but was definitely looking forward to a Greenvalleys style park, starting small and building over the years. Hopefully the Synergy crew can find a better location... Kincumba anyone?? :D

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Really sad to hear that for a lot of reasons. Like many I was very skeptical of the huge psych around it, but was definitely looking forward to a Greenvalleys style park, starting small and building over the years. Hopefully the Synergy crew can find a better location... Kincumba anyone?? :D
It’s just going to take the right land owner or someone purchasing the right spot. I was up north recently (far north coast Nsw) and there are so many locations I could see would be perfect for this type of facility. Problem is most of it is tied up as barely producing farmland that’s been held for generations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
It’s just going to take the right land owner or someone purchasing the right spot. I was up north recently (far north coast Nsw) and there are so many locations I could see would be perfect for this type of facility. Problem is most of it is tied up as barely producing farmland that’s been held for generations.

why don't they look at end of life open cut coal mines up the hunter valley...didn't they do something similar in Wales..
use the funds generated by the bike park to aide in the regeneration and environmental cleanup of years decades of raping the earth for minerals

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
why don't they look at end of life open cut coal mines up the hunter valley...didn't they do something similar in Wales..
use the funds generated by the bike park to aide in the regeneration and environmental cleanup of years decades of raping the earth for minerals
That doesn't sound like a box ticking green outcome.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I remember reading that this was going to be a shared space between bike riders and entitled fuckheads that ride horses? No thanks, I love horses but the riders tend to be total jerks around anything other than Mills & Boon novel enthusiasts.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I remember reading that this was going to be a shared space between bike riders and entitled fuckheads that ride horses? No thanks, I love horses but the riders tend to be total jerks around anything other than Mills & Boon novel enthusiasts.
Really? I am always courteous when I ride on the pony trail network in my area and come across a horse rider or group. In probably 50 to 70 interactions over the years I have never had anything but a pleasant conversation. The riders actually all seem really chilled and just out for a cruise.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Please dont let these blokes anywhere near Kincumba.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Really? I am always courteous when I ride on the pony trail network in my area and come across a horse rider or group. In probably 50 to 70 interactions over the years I have never had anything but a pleasant conversation. The riders actually all seem really chilled and just out for a cruise.
Good to know that not all horse folk are tools. Every interaction I've had on legalized trails that have shared areas has been embarrassing. I've come across some mega-jerks at Stromlo; riding horses up jump lines then exploding at humans on bikes, a woman parked her horse float across across roads and only moved when an Ambulance needed to make a B line to a fallen rider which ironically turned out to be a kid who fell off a horse. I even watched a woman use her horse to block the exit of one of the trails at Stromlo saying this place isn't intended "for you pricks on bikes". Not a good mix.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Already a few gravity parks there that I know of.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Who doesn't like to stop to chat with hot, never mind I didn't say that ;).

I see a few occasionally at White Rock and they've never been a problem either. I've found you've got to be careful when you come across the nervous horse that wants to throw the rider off but haven't seen one of those for a long time.

moorey

call me Mia
We get plenty of horses on our trails. The ones who know that they were built by, maintained by, and constantly used by riders are generally really good (other than often walking horses up jumps and making a mess of them).
The ones who stumble across the trails and think that they personally discovered and own them are less friendly when bikes whizz around blind corners at speed.
If I see horses, I give a wide berth, or stop and let them pass quietly. Lots of our long established trails nearby are being closed to bike to allow better access to horses and walkers....the last thing I want to do is ruffle more feathers on my home trails.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think you misunderstood the locals @Dozer. Down that way they don't use a saddle for horse riding, they use a milk crate.

madstace

Likes Dirt
So while it still seems like they jumped the gun with things like council approval, working with the landowner was just as fraught with danger and seems like it may have played a large, if not absolutely crucial part in the project's downfall. Very fucking disappointing :mad: