New bike for the boy

Garto

Likes Bikes
So my little best mate is up for a new bike. He is five in a few months, and I told him if he can ride without training wheels I'll get him a new bike. The little ripper went and nailed it in a day and a half, so now its time for me to live up to my end of the bargain.

Had him measured at 108 cm, which puts him in the 16" category. Just about everything out there is the bmx style bike in the size. I was really hoping to squeeze him on a 20" and try get a more mtb style bike so I can start to take him on some basic trails, pumps and such.

Recommendations and research have me thinking that a 350 or 450 from Byk would be a good choice:
https://www.bykbikes.com.au/kids-bikes/view-by-age/kids-4-5/350mtb-mountain-bike.html

They have a few variations but they seem to make bikes in a couple of inbetween sizes that the larger companies don't. Any other suggestions for bikes out there?

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Really comes down to how much you want to spend and how important it is to you the rate of their progression. If you want them to progress fast then the lightest, right sized bike with good geo etc etc will help alot.

Have a look at Spawn bikes. we went with Spawn for our little ones and they were great bikes. The wheels actually spin, the geo was really good and they were one of the lighter bikes out there. At the time which was a few years back they were the best option other than going full crazy like Lil Shredders. Prob alot more options now.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The little ripper went and nailed it in a day and a half, so now its time for me to live up to my end of the bargain.
Good work ! Doesn't sound like you wanted to win that bet anyway.

Only thing I can add is get a bike with a rigid fork, the susp forks that come on these small bikes are about 2.5kg and have 40mm of crap movement.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I'm selling this if you'd be willing to consider second hand. 2016 Norco Fluid 2.2 20"

EDIT: Sorry, just looked at your BYK options and the Norco won't be in that price range.

Garto

Likes Bikes
I'm selling this if you'd be willing to consider second hand. 2016 Norco Fluid 2.2 20"
View attachment 353384

EDIT: Sorry, just looked at your BYK options and the Norco won't be in that price range.
no thats ok mate, price isn't the problem its more the size atm, he's a smaller lad at only 107cm so the byk options fit him well but they are about the only ones that make an 18". Your norco is what i'd be looking for the bike after this one! how much? and minimum height?

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
i have my 6yo on a byk and it’s great. Sizing is important. He’s in a 350 and it fits really well and gives him confidence.

I made the mistake of buying a bike for my daughter that was really pushing it in terms of size and she lost all confidence. She’s only just getting it back now as she has grown and the bike fits her really well (been 18 months).

I was trying to save updating her bike every year or two but destroyed her love of riding in the meantime. Won’t do that again.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Have a look at commencal the Ramones 16 is a great looking little mtb with a free wheel hub and proper tyres. I've got one for my 3.5 probably a little bit big at the moment but he can pedal it around well it's just the stopping he had trouble with.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
no thats ok mate, price isn't the problem its more the size atm, he's a smaller lad at only 107cm so the byk options fit him well but they are about the only ones that make an 18". Your norco is what i'd be looking for the bike after this one! how much? and minimum height?
I'm asking $1,500 for it, my young fella was seven when we got it for him, he's pretty short for his age but don't really know how tall he was at the time. Specifications and geo are here if that helps at all... https://www.norco.com/bike-archives/2016/fluid-22/

How did you find the Norco? how's the weight on it?? curious :p
It was seriously one of the raddest bikes that I've ever purchased, they definitely didn't make anything like it when we were kids. Weight is 12kg.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Another good option, proper kid designed geo, proper tires, free wheel etc are Prevelo. A small kid specific company from the states.
A bit more pricey than a Byk but worth every cent.
I got an alpha one for my four year old and it’s been great.
Try and stay away from a coaster foot brake.

moorey

call me Mia
Couple of young fellas in my mtb group are on Early Rider bikes. Quality kit, and really light. Couple of KG lighter than Byk, little bit dearer.

Last edited:

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get him a cheap 16” now and a decent rigid 20” next year when he’s bigger. Assuming he’s not a little shredder you’ll be sticking to tame trails first up any bike should do it. Holding out for another 12 months won’t hurt.

My littlest son, 6, is on a 20” rigid 3spd coaster brake bike. Does him fine for the trials I’m confident to take him on. It’s also lighter and easier to shift gears But no less capable than the 6-7spd bikes with suspension forks his brothers had.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
if you are going to drop the cash on a bike while he is still little, as above said , weight is an issue with this market sector
don't think that upgrading to better lighter components is an option either, most of the parts are weird sizes and hard to get light alternatives
my two boys are on 20" Polygon Relic's, disc brakes, Heavy AF forks, stand and steel seatpost and bars..they have just turned 8, but small for their age
have been on for almost a year, you cant go for long rides due to the weight as they run out of puff quicker, but that is sometimes a good thing!
the disc brakes were a good option, if you are doing proper MTB trails