Nerang weekend riders

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
Title says most. I ride at nerang love the trails and usually ending with a steak sandwich and a beer at the pub looking for others on the same wave length.

I like exploring new places to ride and like the social aspect of a beer and some food at the end of the ride.

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
Or not... Who would have thought a post asking if anyone else wants to ride sweet trails and drink beer would be so poorly received?

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
Mate check out mtbdirt forums. You get more local trail talk there.
I'm PAC pines based, and currently trying to get out on the MTB more. Might head to Hinze dam this arvo to check out the new trails actually. Will pm you my number, feel free to MSG/call me to see if I'm available.
Dave

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

wavike

Likes Dirt
I'm PAC pines based, and currently trying to get out on the MTB more. Might head to Hinze dam this arvo to check out the new trails actually. Will pm you my number, feel free to MSG/call me to see if I'm available.
Dave

The GC MTB club have just cancelled next Sundays race out at the dam because of track conditions. It 2/3 slippery soft soil, so do yourself, bike and the track a favour and ride top of Nerang or maybe over at Clagiraba. The forest between Clagiraba and Beechmont roads has some fun fireroads for a change of scenery.

wavike

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the heads up, shame about next weekend.

The Dam track - good idea but wrong location. we need some all weather trails.
Josh - do you ride a Genius LT. If so, it might have been you with a chain problem I was speaking too on a fireroad corner a week or so ago. I'm a bit too unreliable with times and probably a bit slow, hope you can hook-up with some riders out there, good to have a social ride and beers/coffee after.

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
Dave

Will do Dave. I have iPad issues with mtbdirt, that and have to remember my password.

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
The Dam track - good idea but wrong location. we need some all weather trails.
Josh - do you ride a Genius LT. If so, it might have been you with a chain problem I was speaking too on a fireroad corner a week or so ago. I'm a bit too unreliable with times and probably a bit slow, hope you can hook-up with some riders out there, good to have a social ride and beers/coffee after.
That was me. Chain issue sorted. The lower limit screw had somehow moved. I'm glad I caught it at low speed or it could have been a real pain. It would be nice to eventually see trails all around the dam catchment which I hope is something we can work towards if we look after and respect the existing area. What do you mean by wrong location?

wavike

Likes Dirt
It would be nice to eventually see trails all around the dam catchment which I hope is something we can work towards if we look after and respect the existing area. What do you mean by wrong location?
The lower part of the trail seems to be along a water seepage area, the switch back side has a lot of soft soil and doesn't appear to get much sun to dry it out. Give the drenching over the last couple of years, good drainage and soil type are necessary for new trail locations. I think the actual opening of the site was put off for 5 months due to wet conditions and hasn't been much better since. Pretty well money and time wasted building a trail that might be useful come the next drought. Dams aren't built in rain shadows.
The 2014 Genius LT is one great looking bike - http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/scott-genius-lt-700-650b-first-look-37737/

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Missed this! I'm keen, new to the GC so haven't ridden nerang yet.

Name a time and date and I'm likely there.

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
I believe almost any trail can be weatherproofed some soft soils just need a little riding and baking in to harden the trail surface, some need additional rocks or sand, Others a bridge over them, I'm sure the Trailbuilders will keep working until its all weather. The land near the dam is what was on offer so solutions will be found. :)

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
I would also be a bit worried if the lower side of a dam wall was a water seepage area and doubt seq water would miss this.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
GJ, hope you got out to Hinze and Nerang to check things out since your OP. For those who don't know, the Hinze Dam originally had a track used for Gold Coast MTB Club races. It was lost with the dam expansion. Peter Hallinan from the club has fought to have that lost trail re-built. Weather on the Gold Coast during reconstruction was dreadful. Massive rains and storm damage came during and just after construction, when trail was very vulnerable.

Almost all trail can be made weather proof to an extent, but it depends on circumstance and relies on support from volunteers to keep trails going. Rain doesn't just damage trail, it encourages aggressive regrowth of vegetation. When seepage is discussed at Hinze, you can bet it is not coming from the dam, because they check it continuously and there is a water flow monitor right next to part of the MTB trail. The wettest area is down lower, near the creek crossing. I would guess that area is now dry like Nerang. We have watched the wattle flower from top to bottom as the subsoil water soaked away this Winter and Spring and now all is dry on the GC.

Anyway, the club social rides are still on every Saturday arvo from Just Ride bike shop at 2.30 and 2.45 for aerobic and funrobic groups. If making trails awesome is something you desire, then check here

http://www.mtbtrailcare.com/Calendar.asp

and here

http://www.mtbtrailcare.com/Default.asp