Narrow carbon wheels vs wide aluminum wheels

Irck

Likes Bikes
I've just ordered a 2016 Giant Trance Advanced 1 that comes with 21mm internal width carbon wheels (on 28 straight pull spoke hubs).

I want to run minimum 2.3 tires and was advised by friends that I'd be better off with some wider aluminum rims to avoid burping etc.

Following this advice I bought a set of Easton Arc 30 rims (30mm internal width on Hope hubs).

Since then I've spoken to a Giant team rider who says that the stock rims are fine with 2.3 tires.

The Giant set weighs a little over 1600g and the Easton/Hopes weigh just over 1900g.

Which wheelset should I keep? Any advice / experience would be greatly appreciated.

I know riding them both would give me my answer but I'm trying to recoup as much as I can buy selling them unridden...

Yarrahappinni

Likes Dirt
I've gone to 25mm alum rims from stock 21mm giants. Happy with the shape and feel, 30mm rims feel to square for my riding (hence the 25's). Feel rock solid also, running oriental hubs and spokes.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Ivan

Eats Squid
21mm internal is completely fine for 2.3" tyres. This is a common configuration and tyre burping shouldn't be something you have to worry about.

The 2.3" tyres may perform better on the 30mm rim, but your going to be spinning an extra 300g. Choose your compromise....

redbruce

Eats Squid
I have gone from 18mm Id to 29.5mm ID (American Classic Wide Lightning) with 2.25 tyres.

Before and after measurements show (on Schwalbe RR and RaRa tyres) there is no "squaring off" as such on those tyres (it is tyre dependent however). Just a bigger bag through sidewall stretch (ie no change to tread block width or arc).

Wider rims allow lower pressures, but only if terrain, rider weight and riding style allows, providing more grip without stability loss. In my (XC) case, a huge and positive outcome, let alone weight benefit.

In my case the wheels were also significantly lighter than OEM. In your case, OEM is narrower but lighter.

Overall I suspect the benefit of the "wider" rim given weight, is minimal.

However, irrespective of relative merits, second hand wheels are second hand wheels (and $/demand accordingly) so I would try both and go with your objective preference.

No one here can tell you what will be optimum for you. It's a compromise only you can call.

Last edited:

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Recently been through this problem myself with the new steed (keep old 23mm carbon wheels or leave the stock 30mm aluminum wheels).

Fully intended to keep the carbon hoops but found I really liked the wide rims. Weight difference is around 200g but running lighter tyres which always felt borderline on the old carbon wheels (they feel less squirmy on the wide rim).

I would only take the narrower carbon on an XC race bike. Given you are on a trance, i'd be inclined to go the wider aluminium rims.

Wide+Carbon would be the ultimate though.

Edit: Not that 2.3 wont work on 21mm rims, that's a perfectly fine combo that many people would have been running for many years.

Last edited:

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just ride the carbon rims and keep the others as a back up. 21 is fine and you'll barely notice any difference. Don't read too much into pinbike.

teK--

Eats Squid
depends on what brand tyre. 2.3 can be wide or narrow.

I ran 2.35 Schwalbe (they are huge for their rated size) on 21mm Internal rims and they were fine.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Fat wheels, fat tyres and maybe the extra drag will allow me to catch up.

Offer is always open to try out mine!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ardent 2.25 v. Mountain King 2.2 is chalk and cheese
Was tossing up between these 2 tyres, got the Ardents... was thinking of getting the MK2's for the other bike. What's your experience with the chalk and cheese ?

Cheers

Old C

Likes Bikes
Was tossing up between these 2 tyres, got the Ardents... was thinking of getting the MK2's for the other bike. What's your experience with the chalk and cheese ?

Cheers
I ride mostly XC, with a little downhill. I find the Ardent Race to be a very predictable tyre with low rolling resistance. On the other hand, I find the MK in 2.4 to be very loose, particularly on gravel or dust in corners, and that is on the rear, on the front they suck away confidence like a school yard bully, so I would not recommend them

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I ride mostly XC, with a little downhill. I find the Ardent Race to be a very predictable tyre with low rolling resistance. On the other hand, I find the MK in 2.4 to be very loose, particularly on gravel or dust in corners, and that is on the rear, on the front they suck away confidence like a school yard bully, so I would not recommend them
Interesting, cheers.

Just got the 2.25 EXO TR Ardents, 830g & 816g... I reckon the 2.4 Ardents I have which are EXO are only 800g each... The XC weight weenine in me is screaming, but I'm lovin the grip of these tyres.