Mystic MTB - Bright

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Sad, its a by-product of visiting Bright. There is so much other stuff there to keep the family and 'us' occupied. A quick few shuttles at the end of a day, sightseeing was great, we did it 3-4 times over the years, 3pm some self shuttles, maybe 3 shuttles at most, Hero trail to lower stuff, was a great end to a day, then brewery, then restaurant for dinner and more beers.

No interest in going back sadly.
Exactly, great way to finish off the day and exactly why I stay in Bright when all my work is either side of Myrtleford. It's just no better than anywhere else I've been. Unfortunately the last two trips in a many weeks have had no riding at all.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Exactly, great way to finish off the day and exactly why I stay in Bright when all my work is either side of Myrtleford. It's just no better than anywhere else I've been. Unfortunately the last two trips in a many weeks have had no riding at all.
They are good trails, no one will dispute that, but are they $110 a day trails when you may have 2 kids. Fuck no, $95 Maydena dropping 800m, NZ as Matty posted, Whistler as Tkdb posted, free in Derby, free at Fox Creek. They have the Bright added tax, pity we are not all there for MTB.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I would quite happily go to Bright without a bike and not miss it, good walks, waterfalls, wombats, swim in the river, brewery... its a great spot, bonus was a few runs on the bike. The most expensive place to ride a bike in the world... fuck that, $330 for 1 day for me and my 2 boys.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Just came back from Queenstown. I did tell myself to go to Bright very soon, but now that i've seen the price of the shuttle, I think I'll climb up and be prepared to be disappointed :mad::confused:

Jpez

Down on the left!
Just came back from Queenstown. I did tell myself to go to Bright very soon, but now that i've seen the price of the shuttle, I think I'll climb up and be prepared to be disappointed :mad::confused:
Best trails are the double blacks from the launch pad. If that’s your thing do Mystic DH, into boogaloo into DH again to the bottom. Or skip boogaloo and do the new Tech trail. Exposed and rough. It’s ok. Not great. Flow trail runs off from the same spot but don’t think it’s quite open. Looked good from above. Or pedal half way up and do Hero sheds first as a warm up. There’s a new track that runs from near top of Hero called palace of love or something. That’s nice and steep.
They’ve given hero a tickle up a week ago.
Despite others cynicism Bright has a lot of good trails accessible by good old legs. So no need to be disappointed. Yeah. It’s no Queenstown. Granted. Just have to adjust your expectations.
Not the cheapest no but as a 1pax I’m happy to pay for a day for 6 hours of smashing out as many laps as your body can stand every once in a while.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Best trails are the double blacks from the launch pad. If that’s your thing do Mystic DH, into boogaloo into DH again to the bottom. Or skip boogaloo and do the new Tech trail. Exposed and rough. It’s ok. Not great. Flow trail runs off from the same spot but don’t think it’s quite open. Looked good from above. Or pedal half way up and do Hero sheds first as a warm up. There’s a new track that runs from near top of Hero called palace of love or something. That’s nice and steep.
They’ve given hero a tickle up a week ago.
Despite others cynicism Bright has a lot of good trails accessible by good old legs. So no need to be disappointed. Yeah. It’s no Queenstown. Granted. Just have to adjust your expectations.
Not the cheapest no but as a 1pax I’m happy to pay for a day for 6 hours of smashing out as many laps as your body can stand every once in a while.
Sounds good. Thanks for the suggestions :). Off to Thredbo in easter, then will probably hit Bright.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Ended up doing a shuttle day in Bright last week. Very dry conditions.
Rode Elevation, WC, Mystic, Boogooloo, Hero and Shred Kelly. Hero didn't feel like there was much maintenance done to it other than some A line lips touched up. Elevation and WC running much rougher than usual. 1/4 of Shred Kelly is gone and looks like it hasn't seen any love in quite a while. New exposed Mystic sections are slow and very loose (maybe its just me) but preferred the old fast, steep and open multiline sections .. also fan of the long gone darkside section. New short jumps/flow section down the bottom leading to the main road.
Didn't end up riding any of the new trails so can't comment on them. Only noticed a new tech one when heading to Boogooloo.
Two shuttles were running, turnaround was pretty much one every 20-30 mins.

Not as enjoyable as I remember it to be. I'm likely spoiled by riding abroad recently, but looks like majority of funding has gone to the new trails so since I didn't ride them, can't make a true assessment as a whole.