My wax based lube recipe

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Does anyone know if Absolute Black Graphenwax is only available on their website? or is it at other retailers as well?
I bought badger wax (paraffin and PTFE) from eBay, and I was going to chuck a square of the graphenwax into the badger wax mix.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Does anyone know if Absolute Black Graphenwax is only available on their website? or is it at other retailers as well?
I bought badger wax (paraffin and PTFE) from eBay, and I was going to chuck a square of the graphenwax into the badger wax mix.

Calling @Scotty T he bought some recently.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

Post your results!

I too bought some Badger Wax with PTFE. Was surprised at how thin the Badger wax is compared to what I was using, and the PTFE stayed grainy. But a week in and the chain is doing all the same things as before.

Freediver

I can go full Karen

Bunch of wankers. They have added graphite powder and are calling it graphene to make it sound cool.

Minlak

custom titis
If some one wants to order the graphene wax from absolute black - put in the code TRYOVAL for free shipping saves $9.99 US currently - also they have one more shipment coming in on 15 December apparently then none til March and a price rise - I have been close to ordering 2 or 3 times now just don’t know I will actually switch from what I currently use

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Bunch of wankers. They have added graphite powder and are calling it graphene to make it sound cool.
Absolute Black seem to be going #BatshitTrump on all the other wax products, saying that they are shit and don't work anything near as well as AB does, or that they will make your drivetrain explode or whatever.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: PJO

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Definitely good. 220km on this chain so far and it hasn't started squeaking yet. I swap when the little chirps start, it conveniently works out to a weeks worth of commuting.
I'm with this. I had mine for 150km now - the ptfe + wax. It hasn't squeaked at all. Compared to just pure paraffin, this one has left absolutely no traces of dirt on the chain after usage. So win!

Absolute Black seem to be going #BatshitTrump on all the other wax products, saying that they are shit and don't work anything near as well as AB does, or that they will make your drivetrain explode or whatever.....:rolleyes:

The more reason to avoid them. They'll add some food colouring to the wax compound next and start claiming the green (or whatever rainbow) colour add an extra 200% efficiency and longevity, and makes you climb as fast as Nino and descend as quick as Bruni.

PJO

in me vL comy
Do you all use high end chains? I've waxed one of my son's bikes which has a basic KMC X10 chain and noticed that it has developed surface rust after a while. I suspect it is not going to be detrimental to performance if the wax is still inbetween the plates and pins etc... But it does look unsightly.
Anyone else had this issue?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Do you all use high end chains? I've waxed one of my son's bikes which has a basic KMC X10 chain and noticed that it has developed surface rust after a while. I suspect it is not going to be detrimental to performance if the wax is still inbetween the plates and pins etc... But it does look unsightly.
Anyone else had this issue?
no i use cheap chains, havn’t had surface rust develop, how long is after a while?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
A few weeks, wasn't even after a wet ride, but the shed can get a bit damp after heavy rain...
weird, the was should help prevent rust, degreae and scrub w steel wool /lemon juice and clean in petrol - then try re-waxing..

PJO

in me vL comy
weird, the was should help prevent rust, degreae and scrub w steel wool /lemon juice and clean in petrol - then try re-waxing..
Since then I've waxed four chains, which are now running on other bikes, so will see what happens to them, since they all live in the same shed.

Like you say might need to re do the rusty one...

edit: that rusty chain was a brand new one had been cleaned with petrol but maybe not long enough, then with metho.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
Do you all use high end chains?
I use XTR 12 but XT 12 or Ultegra 11 if the top tier are not available. The external coatings to resist corrosion are the main driver, not the weight savings gained by using hollow pins.

Reactions: PJO