My wax based lube recipe

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I'm trying OC's new wax compound on my next waxing journey. Found a seller on ebay selling the wax + ptfe powder in one pack (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Combo-1...ltra-fine-PTFE-Teflon-powder-50g/193523575259). I wonder if I can just use rice cooker for this - can be arsed getting slow cooker from kmart..

@Calvin27 make sure you clean the chain properly. OC has a video on this:
Last time when I waxed a new chain, I didn't clean it properly (metho wasn't clear, it's still cloudy grey) and the wax didn't stick well. I used kerosene instead of petrol and used the 5ltr degreaser from super cheap auto.
Shellite works well for chain cleaning.

Also, if you are going to heat that badger wax to a liquid, I strongly suggest a proper respirator mask eg Sundstrom SR 100 and a proper filter.
I would not want to be breathing in the paraffin/Teflon fumes. fuck that.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
The temperatures get too high with rice cookers so the best solution is a slow cooker on low.
Yes but, no but.......

My rice cooker automatically switches to low when the pot reaches 100⁰c, but I've never used a slow cooker for waxing so I don't know any other way

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
I was keen to use my redundant rice cooker but something OC mentioned was the excessive temps they produce. I best be looking into the structural change of wax owing to applied heat.

Edit: the phase change occurs around 70 degrees for RT70 wax. Nothing of significance happens until higher temps (~300 degrees). Looks like the rice cooker has found a new life!

Last edited:

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Woolies sell a $20 slow cooker thats 1.5litres capacity and would struggle to cook a hardboiled egg in 24hrs. it does however melt parrafin wax with its 80w heating element.
I cant imagine temps getting any higher than 80degrees ever. Tried waxing my current chain, but obviously didnt clean it well enough, the quietness and smoothness on the first ride was impressive. When its new chain time i'll do it properly.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I got a cheap Coles rice cooker ($20) and I just hang around turning it on and off to try and get the right temperature... but then when you chuck the chain in it drops the temp quite an amount so I make sure the heating element is on when I do that. But then I pull the inner pot out and let it sit to let the temperature drop a little so the wax is slightly more viscous as I pull the chain out. A bit more stuffing around but I usually do around 3 chains at a time so I've got a bit of a process train going on.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Woolies sell a $20 slow cooker thats 1.5litres capacity
Just bought that and my wax has arrived.

Just wondering with wax, I suppose the stuff stays on if you just leave it there not riding it. This could work well for me as I have a few bikes to rotate around. Would just be one giant wax session once or bi-monthly. I assume it doesn't dry out over say a month or two since it's a solid?

gippyz

Likes Dirt

Just wondering with wax, I suppose the stuff stays on if you just leave it there not riding it. This could work well for me as I have a few bikes to rotate around. Would just be one giant wax session once or bi-monthly. I assume it doesn't dry out over say a month or two since it's a solid?
No i don't think it'll dry out. I waxed my roadie chain which sits in the garage most of its time and it hasn't dried yet (waxed it approx. 4 months ago).

kbekus

Likes Dirt

nah it will just sit there on the chain. I typically wax a couple of chains at a time for the 1 bike then rotate between them.. one can hang on the wall for months if I'm a bit slack getting out.

I also just leave the remainder of the wax in the pot with the lid on. It just solidifies in there ready to be melted for next time.

Cardy George

I got a cheap Coles rice cooker ($20) and I just hang around turning it on and off to try and get the right temperature... but then when you chuck the chain in it drops the temp quite an amount so I make sure the heating element is on when I do that. But then I pull the inner pot out and let it sit to let the temperature drop a little so the wax is slightly more viscous as I pull the chain out. A bit more stuffing around but I usually do around 3 chains at a time so I've got a bit of a process train going on.
My understanding of rice cookers is they apply enough heat to the bowl to boil the water that you have to put in with the rice in a respectable amount of time. The way the automatic switch works is when all the water has been absorbed/ evaporated, the temperature rises over 100⁰ which trips the machine into keep warm mode. It depends on the cooker and the melt point of your wax whether or not keep warm is hot enough to keep the wax liquid. Mine keeps 55⁰ paraffin liquid. You'd think they'd have to be kinda compliant with food storage safety standards.

I store my dirty chains in the pot with the wax, so when I turn it on they all heat up together. But like you I also let it cool a bit when i take them out.

@Calvin27 I wax a month's worth at a time and store them like this

No dramas drying out, more concerned about it melting off when the shed gets over 50⁰, hasn't happened yet

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I tried the new compound with ptfe powder, and much prefer it than the paraffin oil + candle. Less mess and I don't need to scrape the excess wax off the chain surface. I only loosened the links and voila!

I also used my existing rice cooker which have cook and warm settings with thermometer (which I happen to have at home). I left it on cook setting until the temperature reached around 90C, then leave it at warm with the lid ajar so as to prevent it from overheating, then dip the chain in. It seems to work as the chain came out coated with wax with stiff links.

If using rice cooker, I highly recommend using a thermometer as well. When I first melt the paraffin powder on cook setting, the temperature shot up to 95C in no time. I panicked and turned the rice cooker off. Went on pinkbike to check friday fails while waiting for it to cool down. Welp.. it cooled to about 50C and the wax started to solidify, which is no good. So keep an eye on those temps.

Now to clean the drivetrain and go for a ride.

Cardy George

I think the wax will get too hot to stick on the chain? His video said to not let it go beyond 95C..
Well now I'll have to watch the video.......

But if you're concerned about setting it on fire, paraffin has a flash point of 199⁰C. If your rice cooker gets that hot, something else has gone wrong.

Instead of dipping, try having your chain in the pot while you're melting the wax. The joints expand (well everything expands) and I find the wax gets in deeper.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't

yes will stay on, does not dry out,,but thats why i use paraffin oil to add some softness, some wax cracks easily when dry falls off

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
if I had 500g of solid paraffin to melt, how much of the oil would I add?
i use somewhere in vicinity of 30-50ml, i usually store my used wax ina container & use it a few times, i tend to add a sml amount, like capful each time -i have heard of some using a 2:1 or 3:1 wax:eek:il mix, i did a sml test and it seemed to me to be too soft, picked up some dust. other tip i have seen some do is add a squirt, may drops motor oil to the wax, havn’t tried this but something like castrols magnetec interestes me to try later

link1896

Mr Greenfield
My understanding of rice cookers is they apply enough heat to the bowl to boil the water that you have to put in with the rice in a respectable amount of time. The way the automatic switch works is when all the water has been absorbed/ evaporated, the temperature rises over 100⁰ which trips the machine into keep warm mode. It depends on the cooker and the melt point of your wax whether or not keep warm is hot enough to keep the wax liquid. Mine keeps 55⁰ paraffin liquid. You'd think they'd have to be kinda compliant with food storage safety standards.

I store my dirty chains in the pot with the wax, so when I turn it on they all heat up together. But like you I also let it cool a bit when i take them out.

@Calvin27 I wax a month's worth at a time and store them like this
View attachment 369214

No dramas drying out, more concerned about it melting off when the shed gets over 50⁰, hasn't happened yet
Can you please show us the air filter light fitting with the globe fitted. Looks fancy