My wax based lube recipe

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
So, I changed my wax about 2 waxes ago as it was frothy as usual, adding PTFE and a small 50g of bees wax. This has been working well as I get over 400km out of chain before it seems dry and I can hear a slight noise.

I decided to try and use Paraffin wax only this time as a trial.

Popped the block of old wax out (keeping it still) and it looks like the PTFE and possibly bees wax gathers on the bottom.

Boiled the chains to get the dirt off and dropped them into 88°C wax for about 10 minutes, agitating occasionally.

Wax is black as f%#k again.

Is this happening to anyone else ?

332075626_504635845202512_3544963900185909431_n.jpg

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
So, I changed my wax about 2 waxes ago as it was frothy as usual, adding PTFE and a small 50g of bees wax. This has been working well as I get over 400km out of chain before it seems dry and I can hear a slight noise.

I decided to try and use Paraffin wax only this time as a trial.

Popped the block of old wax out (keeping it still) and it looks like the PTFE and possibly bees wax gathers on the bottom.

Boiled the chains to get the dirt off and dropped them into 88°C wax for about 10 minutes, agitating occasionally.

Wax is black as f%#k again.

Is this happening to anyone else ?

View attachment 397367
Yep, I tried the PTFE powder and also found it on the bottom of the pot. Pretty sure it never actually managed to penetrate the links.

ozzybmx

Yep, I tried the PTFE powder and also found it on the bottom of the pot. Pretty sure it never actually managed to penetrate the links.
I reckon it mixes well, suspended in the melted wax fluid... whether it actually penetrates or does anything is another story. Definitely gets around the chain when agitating. It settles back on the bottom nicely leaving the wax on top.

I think it's the PTFE that makes to mixture foam up.

To be honest, I've been waiting for Silca Secret wax to come back in stock to try it.

ozzybmx

Will see how long it lasts if I'm short of 400km or even closer to your 200km, then it must be the PTFE/Bees wax rather that the dust and dirt we are riding in.

Cardy George

I reckon it mixes well, suspended in the melted wax fluid... whether it actually penetrates or does anything is another story. Definitely gets around the chain when agitating. It settles back on the bottom nicely leaving the wax on top.
Mixed up OK for me too, I personally just don't see how it gets in between the plates and rollers where it's needed the most.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
The only way I find to keep my paraffin wax clean is to rinse the chain first in boiling water then into a jar of petrol in the ultrasonic cleaner for 10m.. then in the jar of degreaser, then rinse off in water... then finally into the wax. Quite the ordeal.

ozzybmx

The only way I find to keep my paraffin wax clean is to rinse the chain first in boiling water then into a jar of petrol in the ultrasonic cleaner for 10m.. then in the jar of degreaser, then rinse off in water... then finally into the wax. Quite the ordeal.
Its nearly coming to that. Mr Zero Friction who does many chains a day just uses and recommends hot water poured.

Boiling like I do removes most of the surface blackness but the wax still goes black.

ZF says it does not need another chemical dip but I might try one cycle of each next time before the waxing.

Haven't looked yet but I would bet the solidified wax is clear on top with the dirt settled on the bottom.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Its nearly coming to that. Mr Zero Friction who does many chains a day just uses and recommends hot water poured.

Boiling like I do removes most of the surface blackness but the wax still goes black.

ZF says it does not need another chemical dip but I might try one cycle of each next time before the waxing.

Haven't looked yet but I would bet the solidified wax is clear on top with the dirt settled on the bottom.
If you've mixed in all sorts of additives to your witches brew of immersion wax, it's likely you'll need a solvent of some sorts to get it all out properly.
Lots of those things are hydrophobic

Ackland

chats d'élevage
You'd actually do well to include some detergent in your boil or alternatively get a chain scrubber machine and give the chain a run through while still on the bike, then chuck it into the pasta water

ozzybmx

If you've mixed in all sorts of additives to your witches brew of immersion wax, it's likely you'll need a solvent of some sorts to get it all out properly.
Lots of those things are hydrophobic
Will do ! Just getting an order together for a new fleet of chains after my YBN fakery.

So these will need a serious chemical wash as the factory grease on SRAM chains is the heaviest around.

XX1 12spd rainbows for all bikes... and a XX1 silver for the IndyFab as they didn't do funky colours in 11spd.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Will do ! Just getting an order together for a new fleet of chains after my YBN fakery.

So these will need a serious chemical wash as the factory grease on SRAM chains is the heaviest around.

XX1 12spd rainbows for all bikes... and a XX1 silver for the IndyFab as they didn't do funky colours in 11spd.
Unleaded will do wonders

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Unleaded will do wonders
Shellite seems to do the job. Especially with getting the thick factory grease off. I put the new chain in a sturdy plastic container, and cover it to a depth of about a cm. then, every time I pass by, give it a good swirl around. (obviously nowhere that kids or pets can get hold of the container) leave overnight. scrub the chain with a toothbrush if keen. (safety glasses and rubber gloves are a good idea, especially if getting getting shellite flicked into your eyes does not make you moist) pour off the greasy shellite. put a bit of fresh shellite in to get the last of the grease out etc etc

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Not that I take Mr ZF's word as gospel but he knows a lot about his chains.

Have a read here on page 3 & 4.

I might stick with shellite, but not leave it overnight. Shellite, scrub--> Metho --> finish with Isopropyl as I have a litre or 2 on hand.
TBH, I have been doing the shellite soak on a number of chains, both from new, and when dirty, over the years. never encountered a problem. never noticed any stress fractures in chain, and no snapped links etc

edit: actually fuck Metho, it's never done anything much for me.

Last edited:

PJO

in me vL comy

ozzybmx

Don't think there is any potential for hydrogen embrittlement by soaking chains in hydrocarbons. There is no source of (unbound) hydrogen and no mechanical stress during the soaking.
I wouldn't worry about leaving chains soaking in petrol or shellite.
Yeah that's going a bit deep IMO.

I might give the next batch of new ones a swirl in petrol first to get rid of the majority of the factory glue ;)

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Not that I take Mr ZF's word as gospel but he knows a lot about his chains.

Have a read here on page 3 & 4.

I have my own opinion about the holy deity of wax and his flawed understanding of what things ACTUALLY mean...
His awfully long winded cherry picked explanations usually grab info relating to things that aren't relevant (eg embrittlement).

Turps works OK but not as fast as unleaded.

ozzybmx

His awfully long winded cherry picked explanations usually grab info relating to things that aren't relevant (eg embrittlement).
Is it ever a factor ? Even for pro teams that are relying on his chains in a 1500-2000w sprint ?

Depths of metallurgy over cleaning fluids is a bit OTT for us hacks.

Some of his stuff is good, though hard to get the short version picking a 5 second line out if a 90 minute yawn fest.

Cardy George

Don't bother looking, that's exactly what's happening. That's why I leave something in the bottom of the bowl so the chains aren't sitting in the muck.