My new 29" build - thoughts on compatability?

Alpha-J

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

Am in the process of putting together a 29" build project and have come up with the following hypothetical list of componentry...

Frame - Pivot Mach 429
Fork - Fox 32 TALAS 29 (15mm thru axle, tapered)
Handlebars - Easton EA70
Grips - ODI Oury lock ons
Stem - Thomson 4x
Saddle - Whatever my arse says it likes.
Seatpost - Thomson Elite
Front brake - Hope Race X2 w/ 160mm rotor
Rear brake - Hope Race X2 w/ 160mm rotor
Cranks - Shimano XT
Pedals - Time ATAC
Front derailleur - Shimano XT
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT
Front shifter - Shimano XT
Rear shifter - Shimano XT
Cassette - Shimano XT
Wheelset - Easton Haven 29" 15mm thru axle
Tyres - (looking for thoughts on this one - UST compatabile thoughts)

Most of what you see I'm going to procure from OS (given the current exchange rate) which may or may not explain the choices I've made. Stock choice can be fairly limited in some cases.

What I'm most worried about (as I've never done a build before) is compatability. Does anyone see any show stoppers in this build? Any parts from your experience I should seriously consider changing/upgrading? Thoughts on the build overall?

FYI use will be limited to trail riding and the occasional enduro/epic.

Look forward to hearing from you all :confused:

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
You think you'll use the TALAS function? If not I suggest doing away with it. Other than that it looks good.

- Joel

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You think you'll use the TALAS function? If not I suggest doing away with it. Other than that it looks good.

- Joel
Agreed. Bought a TALAS fork for my Rocky Mountain, and the bloody thing stayed on 100mm for pretty much ever.

Maybe look for an RLC fork instead?

And what was the width on the bars? My experience has def been that a slightly wider bar is necessary with the 29 wheels.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Hope brakes are nice, but possibly a bit too rare for spares / servicing the day before a race (when you have forgotten to plan it).
Stick with Shimano, or Avid/Sram as the Oz market is tough to get spares otherwise.

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
I agree with the comment about the hope brakes, go with avid or even better shimano. If your going to do some enduro's go with maybe a silicone ESI set of grips, much more gentle on the hands and wrists and saves 100ish grams. Save a few dollars and go a SLX front mech I your going with Dyna Sys or if your going old nine speed go with a deore even. Personally I would also save a few dollars and go SLX cranks, if you go the ESI grips you will still be in front weight wise. Last comment, why Thompson set post? Love them or hate them, why not an I-beam and bel air saddle, comfy as for enduro riding.

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
Oh yeah - I forgot the forks, ditch the TALAS plan as the other boys said, it's 29er anyway (read monster truck) I would head in the direction of a Recon Gold for the money for weight and performance you can't go past them.

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 don't bother with TALAS - 1.5 yrs with a set of 32's, changed travel like 4 times... Also upsets geometry too much, noticed mostly by the change in seat angle...

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do pivot frames take tapered steerers? I don't know just asking the question have seen guys caught out with this before buy a frame O/s to find it last years model and some parts don't work.

Alpha-J

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the feedback - exactly the sort of stuff I needed to hear.

And what was the width on the bars? My experience has def been that a slightly wider bar is necessary with the 29 wheels.
Predicted that might be the case. Was looking at least 685mm. Have been running around 700mm bars (Dangerboys) for a while now and couldn't be without a wide bar.

I agree with the comment about the hope brakes, go with avid or even better shimano...Save a few dollars and go a SLX front mech If your going with Dyna Sys or if your going old nine speed go with a deore even. Personally I would also save a few dollars and go SLX cranks...Last comment, why Thompson set post? Love them or hate them, why not an I-beam and bel air saddle, comfy as for enduro riding.
Totally take on board what you've all said about the Hopes. Was looking at them as they were well reviewed, something I hadn't tried and looked the business. I'm currently running Hayes Stroker Trails (no problems with them thus far) and have previously run Juicy 7's (fluid leakage but a strong brake). Suggestions as to which side to lean towards - Avid/Shimano?

Am taking on a complete XT set because of a package deal. Not picking and choosing there but thanks for the info. Will price up another group and compare against the package deal.

Also take on board what was mentioned re TALAS fork. Just wanted to keep my travel options open but you guys are totally right. Currently with my 36 TALAS I have the option of 160mm, 120mm or 100mm. I must say I don't change travel enough to warrant whatever I paid for them. Might as well just stick with a 120mm Reba or Fox 32 F29.

Finally, leaning towards the Thomson as I've always ridden on one and never has it failed on me. That and my first bike came with a Bel Air - not the best saddle shape for me I'm afraid.

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
XT brakes are very reasonably priced and they work beautifully. All of my bikes (except the A29er) now have XT brakes on them. They work better than the OE brakes that I sold to pay for the XT's.

I admire your choice of XT drivetrain. No, it's not the blingiest or lightest stuff out there but it works extremely well and won't break the bank to purchase (or replace in case of damage). It's my choice.

ViS

Likes Dirt
Funny what most say about the TALAS forks.

I have the new 120 / 95mm RLC forks with kashima coating on my 29er and I change the travel regularly. It stays on 120mm for probably 75% of the time, but dropping it down for climbing makes it a totally different bike. I'm so glad I bought it over either the 120mm or 100mm versions. My opinion only.

I also think you can't go wrong with XT brakes and cranks, but I'd go X9 / X0 shifters and derailleur. SRAM is just superior in that area imho. I'd love a set of the havens too, so you have my vote.

rone

Eats Squid
Hope brakes are nice, but possibly a bit too rare for spares / servicing the day before a race (when you have forgotten to plan it).
Stick with Shimano, or Avid/Sram as the Oz market is tough to get spares otherwise.
Disagree. Hopes are perfectly reliable and an excellent performing brake. The same cannot be said about all Avids, which still seem to suffer from occasional QC issues. Hopes have a full catalogue of spares - piston seals, master cylinder rebuild kits, diaphragms etc. Shimano provide very few spares, short of pads/pad springs/pins.

Assuming you carry spare pads if you're racing, that's all you'd need. Bikesportz are now doing Hopetech, and I don't think they're going anywhere.

I'd go a 180mm rotor on the front though...

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
Most of what you see I'm going to procure from OS
Atleast see what your local guys can do for you. Obviously you're looking at dropping a fair whack of change on a bike/parts. A lot of shops/importers have reacted to the current dollar. I think that once you price overseas purchases properly (ie: import duties, gst, credit card fees, the inaccurate exchange rates at which crc/wiggle advertise their goods, and the amount of help you'll probably get from your local if you drop $$$ in their shop) it becomes a pretty lineball proposition. I've seen two pivots crack, one under a big/strong rider, another under a light/fast guy. Local support is very good.

I wouldn't bother with UST. A stans setup will work better and be lighter overall if you use the right tyres. A big bike like the 429 is ultimately just not capable of getting buckwild like, say, a 5in travel 26in bike, and I think you'd have to have ridiculous bike handling skills to put enough sidewall strain on a sensible 29in tyre that you'd be regularly burping them - in which case you'd probably be on a 26in bike. You can get a crossmark 29 UST (sold out in oz as of me ordering the last one last week) but they're the shitty cheap rubber compound and are heavy as sin.

I really like xt brakes too. +1

I also like atleast a 650mm bar on a 29er. +1

-1 on SRAM. dyna-sys xt is really good. I would probably wait for the 2012 2-ring setup. Or just ditch the granny and run xtr shifters on a double. 2 rings setups are better in every way. frm conversion chainrings are sweet too (available in australia through carbutta for about $240rrp)

Stock choice can be fairly limited in some cases.

Alpha-J

Likes Bikes
Atleast see what your local guys can do for you.
Totally agree. I'll be purchasing frame and most likely fork from the LBS and bargaining them into a fit as well. You're right about some of them reacting well to the exchange rates but on the other hand there are some deals out there in the world wide web on components that you just can't beat.

Too late about the Havens - already ordered them from competetive cyclist for $600 (delivered!)

Still tossing up whether to go traditional 9 speed or dyna-sys though...

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
Still tossing up whether to go traditional 9 speed or dyna-sys though...
I have bikes with both. The dyna-sys is excellent. No, it's not light years ahead of the conventional 9-speed, but it really is very, very good. Probably the biggest difference I notice is when on a moderate climb on the 9-speed when sometimes I can't find just the right ratio: you know when one gear is slightly too low and the other is slightly too high? That never seems to happen on the 10 speed setup.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
dyna-sys has an easier trigger action and is smoother.

9 speed is old technology - don't bother with it.

TBSM have complete XT dyna-sys groupsets (brakes included, which would be my preference for brakes anyway) for something ridiculous like $750. I know what it would cost a shop to get wholesale, and they'd be making SFA out of it, but why not get your local to price-match?

As far as the WWW, for sure there are some killer deals, but ultimately the combination of (a) killer deals and (b) stuff that is actually worthwhile is pretty rare. If it is good stuff then it sells (and usually sells out) at full retail. It sounds like you're putting together a bit of a micro-managed, obsessed over project bike, which is cool, but ultimately I think that if you're dropping, what $5k-$7k on an nice bike, you should just get what you actually want rather than what is going cheap in the internet.

Alpha-J

Likes Bikes
TBSM have complete XT dyna-sys groupsets (brakes included, which would be my preference for brakes anyway) for something ridiculous like $750. I know what it would cost a shop to get wholesale, and they'd be making SFA out of it, but why not get your local to price-match?

As far as the WWW, for sure there are some killer deals, but ultimately the combination of (a) killer deals and (b) stuff that is actually worthwhile is pretty rare. If it is good stuff then it sells (and usually sells out) at full retail. It sounds like you're putting together a bit of a micro-managed, obsessed over project bike, which is cool, but ultimately I think that if you're dropping, what $5k-$7k on an nice bike, you should just get what you actually want rather than what is going cheap in the internet.
Was looking at that TBSM Dynasys XT group deal actually (doesn't come with brakes). You read my mind!

re WWW shopping - it might seem "pointless" to go on a full build project without injecting huge cash into it, but the build I am working off at the moment (mostly XT) is 'what I want' and also what I could get from a Pivot retailer for over 7 grand. I'm looking at around five and a half for my current build (if that after I attempt to trade in my old bike). Whilst I agree that many online retailers palm off either outdated or surplus stock, there is equal opportunity to grab plenty of components at a great price delivered to your door.

It would appear I have come across as obsessive with this build - that wasn't the intent. This is the first time I have taken a 'bespoke' approach to my mountain biking after several 'off the shelf' bikes that haven't worked out for me (due in no small part to my ignorance as a customer). I am deadset against that happening again.

Appreciate the direction and feedback you're all providing.