Mullet opinions

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Small rear wheel is good if you have shorter legs amd ride the steeps. More clearance before you get sum gooch buzz.
Of course this won’t matter if all ur riding is grade 3 flow endurbro.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Wish I could find it now, but read an article last week from a reputable bike designer who was of the opinion that the only reasons to mullet was either for packaging reasons (ie. can help rear suspension design) or if you have issues buzzing your arse on the tyre. He said everything else was pretty much hyperbole. I’ll link to it if I can find.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
It was Peter Verdone. https://www.peterverdone.com/why-mullets/

But Nico likes them and explains why:
https://m.pinkbike.com/news/down-the-rabbithole-nico-vouilloz-on-bike-setup-and-design.html

Although he’d be sensitive to things mere mortals wouldn’t even notice.
Verdone would make a video showing you how to ride off a gutter just to hear his own voice. He was a u-toob spud before the toob was a thing. I’d take his engineering advice with tab of acid.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Verdone would make a video showing you how to ride off a gutter just to hear his own voice. He was a u-toob spud before the toob was a thing. I’d take his engineering advice with tab of acid.
Yeah, I thought what I’d read was from someone of more note in the industry. I can’t speak to his engineering knowledge but he definitely seems to be full of himself.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I've got a 27.5 on the back of the Waltly (medium Banshee Paradox) and I notice the difference. This also comes with 10mm shorter chain stays so that needs to be taken into account. The bike is more poppy and the front end gets up easier (chain stays) and I can move the rear around easier/gets in the air easier. This may all be placebo but I've done it a few times and I like it with the smaller back wheel.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I've got a 27.5 on the back of the Waltly (medium Banshee Paradox) and I notice the difference. This also comes with 10cm shorter chain stays so that needs to be taken into account. The bike is more poppy and the front end gets up easier (chain stays) and I can move the rear around easier/gets in the air easier. This may all be placebo but I've done it a few times and I like it with the smaller back wheel.
I dunno, 10cm shorter chain stays is a lot! ;)

PJO

in me vL comy
I've been riding my Pipedream Moxie in a mullet configuration for a year now. When I first built it three years ago i was full 29er, but I have the first gen Moxie with very short chainstays and the biggest 29er tyre I could fit in there was a 2.3". Wanting a bigger tyre I built a 27.5 wheel and have been riding 2.6" or 2.8" tyre. The Moxie is marketed as being able to run as a 29 or 27.5+ or 27.5 bike, but it has a very low BB and I wouldn't want to go any smaller than a 2.6" in the back.

Biggest change I noticed was that it is way easier to manual, the lower rear axle compared to the BB means it is just easier to lift the front end. Can't say I'm sensitive enough to other things to notice whether it turns easier, but I do buzz my butt less on really steep tech.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wish I could find it now, but read an article last week from a reputable bike designer who was of the opinion that the only reasons to mullet was either for packaging reasons (ie. can help rear suspension design) or if you have issues buzzing your arse on the tyre. He said everything else was pretty much hyperbole. I’ll link to it if I can find.
I have had a couple of back and forth emails With Kieth Scott at Banshee recently. He told me, that for my height, 172 cm, a mullet might suit me but a 27.5 inch bike would be better. Of course he know nothing about my riding ability or lack of it.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been riding my Pipedream Moxie in a mullet configuration for a year now. When I first built it three years ago i was full 29er, but I have the first gen Moxie with very short chainstays and the biggest 29er tyre I could fit in there was a 2.3". Wanting a bigger tyre I built a 27.5 wheel and have been riding 2.6" or 2.8" tyre. The Moxie is marketed as being able to run as a 29 or 27.5+ or 27.5 bike, but it has a very low BB and I wouldn't want to go any smaller than a 2.6" in the back.

Biggest change I noticed was that it is way easier to manual, the lower rear axle compared to the BB means it is just easier to lift the front end. Can't say I'm sensitive enough to other things to notice whether it turns easier, but I do buzz my butt less on really steep tech.
I have the chain stays on my Chameleon set at 415 cm on 29 inch wheels. I have a set of 2nd hand 27.5's on the way so I can try out the smaller wheel. If I like it, my next frame may be 27.5. I have found the short chain stay has made a huge difference for me in getting and keeping the front wheel off the ground.

PJO

in me vL comy
I have the chain stays on my Chameleon set at 415 cm on 29 inch wheels... I have found the short chain stay has made a huge difference for me in getting and keeping the front wheel off the ground.
No doubt,
My chainstays are set at 430mm and have been there since 29er configuration. Lower axle also works in getting the front up easier.

My only genuine experience was trying a 27.5 front on a 26” bike and dropping 20mm travel.
I personally didn’t notice anything whatsoever. That said, I’ve got bikes that convert between 26 and 27.5, and I honestly can’t tell any worthwhile difference. The 26 ‘May’ be a bit more nimble. The 27.5 ‘May’ roll a little better….or it may be complete confirmation bias.
Then you need to take the pepsi challenge and ride them back to back, blindfolded.

Please video for us.