MTB survey results link SE Queensland

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds nice (not sure where it's going), but is a sample from tewantin, mapleton & nerang representative of the whole SEQ or wider population? Could be my own bias, but I'd say almost certainly not.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Oh wow, I barely know where to start with this...

The sharing of national parks trails between mountain bikers, hikers and joggers, has often been a contentious issue but new Griffith University research has found that’s not always the case in Queensland.
...surveyed 153 mountain bikers in three southeast national parks during popular times and found some interesting results...
So they only surveyed riders?! So it's not a contentious issue for us, but what about everyone else? Because we're happy, everything's hunky dory?

Don't get me wrong - I really hope that the walkers and joggers are just as happy sharing as the riders, but let's be realistic, they're definitely the more vulnerable of all the user groups, so it's hardly surprising that the riders don't feel like they've got too much to complain about.

More than anything, I'm just surprised that a university would put their name to such crap research. Stories like this don't help to progress the dialog between all the different users of trails, and certainly completely ignoring the opinions of other users before concluding 'wow, everyone's getting along fine!' isn't very useful. Some of the most half arsed 'research' I've ever seen published!