Mtb prices gone stupid: The Renovation, Planning Permission & Fkn Tradies (and climate change and dog breeding ethics, +greyhound appreciation) Thread

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Hard disagree. I hate opportunism, and that the crux of most of this.
Were you cool with Texas power companies increasing electricity costs by many 1000’s % in the midst of their recent blackout?
I know it’s a false equivalency...but is it? Many sellers say ‘you can’t buy new, so pay my inflated used price’ in literally those words.
You can always not buy the bike you can't not use power to heat your home and cook when in the middle of a polar blast.
If I see a bike for a silly price, I just don't buy it, simple as that! It's not a necessity like power and water.
I don't agree with stating that a bike is not what it is or hiding things like damage or neglect.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
If I sold my bike on FB and saw the next person trying to flip for a profit, I'd be inclined to advertise it again with a slightly different picture and at a lower price just to show up the piece of shit.
I wish I had've thought of that when it happened to me.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
You can always not buy the bike you can't not use power to heat your home and cook when in the middle of a polar blast.
If I see a bike for a silly price, I just don't buy it, simple as that! It's not a necessity like power and water.
I don't agree with stating that a bike is not what it is or hiding things like damage or neglect.
And if you don't like comments on your bike value+covid tax price, you can not advertise it in places that allow commenting

You're free to sell as you please, but I'm also free to give you stick for it

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
And if you don't like comments on your bike value+covid tax price, you can not advertise it in places that allow commenting

You're free to sell as you please, but I'm also free to give you stick for it

Once again, what is a bike valued? What people will pay for it. If people don't like the price then don't buy it. If everyone stopped paying silly prices then the price would go down.
So if the area you lived in had a big rise in house prices, would you sell your house for what it was worth a few years earlier? I don't think so and you are silly if you did.

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Once again, what is a bike valued? What people will pay for it. If people don't like the price then don't buy it. If everyone stopped paying silly prices then the price would go down.
So if the area you lived in had a big rise in house prices, would you sell your house for what it was worth a few years earlier? I don't think so and you are silly if you did.
Houses aren't bikes? People that own houses aren't part of a community of like minded people looking out for each other? Most people selling a house won't be relying on Facebook groups to sell it at no fee and also expecting somehow to be immune from an entire internets full of wankers like me that are ready to sprout their opinion whether or not it's correct, tactful, or wanted?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
It’s an interesting conundrum that will shirley vary from person to person.

I’d be curious if there could even be a general concensus on Rotorburn of what a used frame/complete should be worth.

New price minus %/yr depreciation +/- for condition and extras. Add rarity modifier if relevant.

How would you work it out? If it’s a functional mtb how low can the value go before you might as well keep it?

Thoughts on a postcard. A tough one I recon.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Kinda related, I'm off to Cairns in May, will catch up with @HamboCairns for a ride. Contacted the three places that hire bikes.

Place 1 is a tour co who closed last year due to COVID and they won't be re-opening in May, maybe June if tourist numbers are back up. Shame as I was keen to ride a new geo Norco Sight which they had listed as hire bikes.

Place 2 is a bike shop with Specco and Santa Cruz, but they only have Specco Levo and Kenevo e-bikes to hire.

Place 3 is a Trek dealer, they didn't reply to my email but their site says normal and e-bikes but the hire fleet page only has the e option.

Seems like there is less/no money in normal bikes for hiring anymore now that e-bikes are available. Looks like I'll be riding an e-bike in Cairns and will have a turn on Hambo's HT and he can try the e-bike which is not a bad result but slightly annoying. Hoping the Levo is an SL but probably not, that was a very sweet bike to ride and also mega expensive, in keeping with the thread topic.

I expect most places that aren't dedicated MTB destinations (Thredbo, Derby etc) will go this way.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
It’s an interesting conundrum that will shirley vary from person to person.

I’d be curious if there could even be a general concensus on Rotorburn of what a used frame/complete should be worth.

New price minus %/yr depreciation +/- for condition and extras. Add rarity modifier if relevant.

How would you work it out? If it’s a functional mtb how low can the value go before you might as well keep it?

Thoughts on a postcard. A tough one I recon.
The old formula was about 10-15% per year, depending on the desirability/rarity. 5 years old should be well under half price, especially the last 5 years with geometry advances.

My SC was $3750, it was three years old, retail was about $10k adding all the bits of the build up, and the buyer got it well under that buying frame half price, getting several things on spesh online, about $7k spent. Was pretty fair I thought.

The previous second hander was my son's Avanti, approx $2.3k new, got it for $1100 and it was 4 years old.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Its human nature to want as much as you can get for your old shit but advertising it at an inflated price to take advantage would not sit right with me.

People buying up smart trainers when corona lockdown started and selling them for $300 over the RRP was shit.

Houses on the other hand, as long as you told the truth about the faults and had people wanting it, its a sellers market.

I would be a happy bloke to have 2-3 people wanting my house and coining in an extra 200k over what I thought it would get.

The problem is then, buying another 'better' place that 2-3 other people are prepared to go 200-300k over the market price, means no gain.