Mtb prices gone stupid: The Renovation, Planning Permission & Fkn Tradies (and climate change and dog breeding ethics, +greyhound appreciation) Thread

Ackland

chats d'élevage
You can hardly buy a house in Adelaide at the minute. There are openings up in the suburbs around where I live getting 70-100 people through in the first opening with several offers over the asking price. More buyers than available housing.

The working from home environment has people moving out of apartments and into the leafy burbs where a lunchtime walk can be a head clearing exercise.

Adelaide CBD has over 1000 empty dwellings, most of these were apartments for international students.
Missus and I looked reasonably seriously a few months. back and decided to just spend some more coin on the current place and jump on bargains when the price crashes and mortgage defaults start

Places listed for $750K ish were going in excess of $1M. One of the places had obvious termite damage, another had water ingress into the slab reo...
There's a world of pain coming for buyers who aren't doing their due diligence.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Missus and I looked reasonably seriously a few months. back and decided to just spend some more coin on the current place and jump on bargains when the price crashes and mortgage defaults start

Places listed for $750K ish were going in excess of $1M. One of the places had obvious termite damage, another had water ingress into the slab reo...
There's a world of pain coming for buyers who aren't doing their due diligence.
People are desperate to get into the market, this was in my local housing estate. Not many of the houses had termite proofing done properly, the contractors at the time of building the estate were caught out watering down the spraying solution.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Its nutts :rolleyes:

We thought about buying a rental last year.

About July 2020, the weekend that the Real Estate agents could do openings again, my missus said she had got a special booking to see a house in Glenalta, it was open on the Sunday and we were away. Monday 5pm was the time.

We had to park on the next street. There were 10-15 other families through when we were there also.

The ceiling was half missing in the family room, insulation falling down.
The complete deck was condemned due to rot.
A tree was growing under the garage roof (6 inch trunk which they had been cutting the leaves off with secateurs)
The garage roof was corrugated iron butted against the house (unsealed).
The house was full of decent cracks where the bricks had dropped, it was outdated, needed a new kitchen, bathroom and a complete makeover. Cornicing falling away on every room, no aircon... it was shit.

... and the house had a 20m gum tree dropping shit all over the house... and a Siberian Husky howling its head off next door.

Prices guide $400k

Real estate sleaze approached, asked what I thought and said it had offers well above above the asking price and would definitely close this week, asking me to be quick if I was interested. I politely told him I was thinking lowball $350-$370 before I seen what it was actually like.

Sold for $441,750.

That weekend was the start of the rush, every open now gets a shit load of people and the house is sold after the first weekend... if not beforehand.

Nothing even starts with $400k now, might get a unit under $500k but all the complete reno houses are $500k+

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
People are desperate to get into the market, this was in my local housing estate. Not many of the houses had termite proofing done properly, the contractors at the time of building the estate were caught out watering down the spraying solution.

View attachment 373854
That's just f***ing mind-boggling. The biggest investment you're ever going to make in your life and you'd skip having an independent inspection?

Housing market kinda does resemble a Lemming stampede. Has for some time realistically, just the cliff is getting much bigger.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Its nutts :rolleyes:

We thought about buying a rental last year.

About July 2020, the weekend that the Real Estate agents could do openings again, my missus said she had got a special booking to see a house in Glenalta, it was open on the Sunday and we were away. Monday 5pm was the time.

We had to park on the next street. There were 10-15 other families through when we were there also.

The ceiling was half missing in the family room, insulation falling down.
The complete deck was condemned due to rot.
A tree was growing under the garage roof (6 inch trunk which they had been cutting the leaves off with secateurs)
The garage roof was corrugated iron butted against the house (unsealed).
The house was full of decent cracks where the bricks had dropped, it was outdated, needed a new kitchen, bathroom and a complete makeover. Cornicing falling away on every room, no aircon... it was shit.

... and the house had a 20m gum tree dropping shit all over the house... and a Siberian Husky howling its head off next door.

Prices guide $400k

Real estate sleaze approached, asked what I thought and said it had offers well above above the asking price and would definitely close this week, asking me to be quick if I was interested. I politely told him I was thinking lowball $350-$370 before I seen what it was actually like.

Sold for $441,750.

That weekend was the start of the rush, every open now gets a shit load of people and the house is sold after the first weekend... if not beforehand.

Nothing even starts with $400k now, might get a unit under $500k but all the complete reno houses are $500k+
Surely that would've sold to a developer. Bowl, subdivide, build multiple shitty smaller houses, profit. It's the Strayan way.

Pity, be a nice place if it wasn't completely effed. Even the real estate photos can't hide how dog-eared it is.

ozzybmx

Surely that would've sold to a developer. Bowl, subdivide, build multiple shitty smaller houses, profit. It's the Strayan way.

Pity, be a nice place if it wasn't completely effed. Even the real estate photos can't hide how dog-eared it is.
Best about it is, they have actually got themselves a decent deal with the current market pricing. I still wouldn't pay the $441k even now but it could be facelifted and flipped for a hell of a lot more.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
One of the joints we looked at had been completely gutted and redone by an owner/renovator (no trade quals).

I asked the agent whether any of the work had certification or warranty on workmanship and was swiftly whisked out of earshot of other onlookers.....

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Best about it is, they have actually got themselves a decent deal with the current market pricing. I still wouldn't pay the $441k even now but it could be facelifted and flipped for a hell of a lot more.
Ken oath, Glenalta's a great spot. Pretty sure I could slum it in a borderline condemned joint like that if I was essentially encircled by MTB trailheads in every direction :D
One of the joints we looked at had been completely gutted and redone by an owner/renovator (no trade quals).
Binge watching The Block doesn't count as trade qualifications?

ozzybmx

UGH... what an awful floor plan!

DEMO
I didn't even think about the floorplan, check out the brick colour difference between the garage and the main house, the garage roof is tucked under the eves and is basically flat, so with the unsealed corrugated iron edge against the wall of the original house, the water runs into the garage.

Reckon in the 141m of living space, they counted the garage and condemned deck.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Would $441k be land value? A shitty house being present might be worth it just so you could renovate as opposed to build from scratch.

Dunno about 'Delaide real estate, but in Sydney insanity prevails.

Coopz

Likes Dirt
The government should have capped how many investment properties people can own decades ago and only Australian citizens\residents can buy. I work with some medical staff that own 20+ houses (in good areas) and they are always looking for more.

But stamp duty, land tax, etc are a cash cow.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
The government should have capped how many investment properties people can own decades ago and only Australian citizens\residents can buy. I work with some medical staff that own 20+ houses (in good areas) and they are always looking for more.

I still think anyone that owns property should have an ABN and be made to run them as a business with strict rules on liquidity over a six month period. The uncertainty of renting is a ridiculous concept to many Europeans.

Flow-Rider

Burner

It's a shit show, even if they put the negative gearing to an end, the people with cash flow will still make a motza with positive gearing.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I still think anyone that owns property should have an ABN and be made to run them as a business with strict rules on liquidity over a six month period. The uncertainty of renting is a ridiculous concept to many Europeans.
You can run rentals with an ABN in Australia, it gives them more tax breaks if they have multiple investments. Australia is a few years behind the rest of the world, everything that you have seen happen in Britain, it's happened here later on, just look at the end of Industrialisation from Union intervention. With open global markets the world will even out eventually I reckon.