Mt Owen and around

Cheka

Likes Bikes
Cheers ! Yeah thats the idea of next trip, limit Derby to 5ish days, spend more time in St Helens, ride Mersey and Queenstown.
Just booked 2 weeks Nov 8-21. In/out of Hobart from Brisbane, pick up a hire ute and off we go.
First stop Queenstown, contacted the local club and they are hopeful that the new green/blue trails close to town will be open by end of October. Not sure if that includes Waterfall though.
Next stop Wild Mersey and maybe Penguin. Then a few days in Derby before Hobart and home.
Fingers crossed Tassie remains open to Qld!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Just booked 2 weeks Nov 8-21. In/out of Hobart from Brisbane, pick up a hire ute and off we go.
First stop Queenstown, contacted the local club and they are hopeful that the new green/blue trails close to town will be open by end of October. Not sure if that includes Waterfall though.
Next stop Wild Mersey and maybe Penguin. Then a few days in Derby before Hobart and home.
Fingers crossed Tassie remains open to Qld!
Yes let's hope every thing stays open for you guys.
Waterfall should be good to go as all the construction is pretty much done now so it's just a bit of time for it to all settle in.

dirtart

Likes Bikes
The remaining two descending trails will be open on Mt Owen by the time you get there. We’d suggest 2 days to cover Mt Owen properly once it’s all open.

will be in Queenstown on the 7th and 8th Dec, good info there man ...thanks for sharing..been everywhere else but havent donw west yet so should be interesting...

;)

binner

Hath shat hymself
The remaining two descending trails will be open on Mt Owen by the time you get there. We’d suggest 2 days to cover Mt Owen properly once it’s all open.
ohhh yeah.... and can anyone shed a bit more light on Mt Donaldson descent. This would be pretty eps to do but I can't find much info about access and how long it takes to do.

Stredda

ohhh yeah.... and can anyone shed a bit more light on Mt Donaldson descent. This would be pretty eps to do but I can't find much info about access and how long it takes to do.
I don't think Mt Donaldson is a legal mountain bike trail, just a walking track. Probably not recommended to ride it. We cope enough flack from the hiking community.

binner

Hath shat hymself
I don't think Mt Donaldson is a legal mountain bike trail, just a walking track. Probably not recommended to ride it. We cope enough flack from the hiking community.
ahhh cool, i see now [R]evolution got permission to ride it ;).. soo we can scratch that off the list.

Yet1

Likes Dirt
Any further info on Mt Owen/Queenstown in general? Have three days up my sleeve when in Tas in March to spend in the north/west area. From what I can gather, it is mostly shuttles in this area? Any trail riding? Family friendly town with stuff for kiddies to do (kids trails/pump tracks etc)?

Stredda

Any further info on Mt Owen/Queenstown in general? Have three days up my sleeve when in Tas in March to spend in the north/west area. From what I can gather, it is mostly shuttles in this area? Any trail riding? Family friendly town with stuff for kiddies to do (kids trails/pump tracks etc)?
No real little kiddy stuff at this stage (Not sure what facilities the local caravan park has) but there's about 6km of green pedal up trail from the town and around 5km of blue trail above that. There's also Oonah hill at Zeehan, the ride into Montezuma falls that are also fairly green as well.
If you haven't planned it already Penguin MTB park and Wild Mersey have plenty of options too.

Cheka

Likes Bikes
Highly recommend Wild Mersey. We were really impressed with the trails there and I believe they have opened more since we were there in November.
We stayed 3 nights in Railton which is pretty quiet but has a great pump track, pub and coffee shop and my wife loved riding Teleport and Green Hornet from our accommodation.
Railton Express was a very cool trail over to Latrobe and back.
It was cool to do laps of High Voltage while my wife did Laughing Gear and then we'd ride back up together.
Didn't get to Sheffield trails that trip but will definitely head back there next time we're down.
If you're looking for somewhere that provides options for varying abilities then Wild Mersey is perfect I reckon.