Mt Owen and around

binner

Hath shat hymself
This is the first time we are venturing to the west side of Tassie so can anyone shed some more info on Mt Owen, esp the shuttle service. It says only 2 shuttles incl for $60, 4 hrs. How long would this take for 3 rider to complete, should we expect 2 shuttles to take 4 hrs and is there any other trails around other than these that they service? I guess what I'm asking is how many days would you allow for riding the west coast trails .. stirling valley, montezuma falls, oonah hill and mt owen

Cheers,
coppo

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
This is the first time we are venturing to the west side of Tassie so can anyone shed some more info on Mt Owen, esp the shuttle service. It says only 2 shuttles incl for $60, 4 hrs. How long would this take for 3 rider to complete, should we expect 2 shuttles to take 4 hrs and is there any other trails around other than these that they service? I guess what I'm asking is how many days would you allow for riding the west coast trails .. stirling valley, montezuma falls, oonah hill and mt owen

Cheers,
coppo
When are you going?
At this stage there is just 4 trails open (see below) on Mt Owen.
When I went down for the preopening ride we did 4 shuttle runs in one day, two in the morning and two after lunch. You ride the Chamouni Traverse each time and we did one summit loop and two of the Long Spur and two of the North Owen Descent. Make sure you have good brake pads before you set out ;)
The shuttle operators only service the Mt Owen trails. You will need to get yourselves to any of the other trails.

Into the Wild may be able to shuttle you around to everything though. Worth having a chat to them. Into the Wild | Facebook

Oonah Hill is a good little ride and you can link that riding from Zeehan and out to the spray tunnel, Oonah hill and return to town.
I've done Stirling Valley and Montzuma falls track on a single ride too. Trailforks is good here to find where to go.

If you are on Facebook the Westcoast MTB social page is a good place to ask questions.
West Coast MTB Club - Social Page | Facebook

binner

Hath shat hymself
will be in Queenstown on the 7th and 8th Dec, good info there man ...thanks for sharing..been everywhere else but havent donw west yet so should be interesting...

;)

Stredda

will be in Queenstown on the 7th and 8th Dec, good info there man ...thanks for sharing..been everywhere else but havent donw west yet so should be interesting...

;)
With a bit of luck a lot of the other trails will be open on Mt Owen by then. I'm looking forward to the Waterfall trail. I think it will suit the type of trail I enjoy much more, being more open and flowing so you are not constantly on the brakes like North Owen and Long Spur.
If you get nice weather the views are amazing, so much so the first time I went down I had to stop several times to take it all in. It was dangerously distracting lol.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Just appeared on fakebook, Dirt Arts page.

Waterfall trail. Looks very nice :(

Frenchy commented that there is 35km of trail built.

ozzybmx

Yes, from what I have seen of the Waterfall trail it looks pretty cool. Looking forward to checking it out. You'll get there one day ;)
Looks awesome ! Doesn't look like we will be over if things stay the way there are.

A concession to drive through Vic to get to the boat would change that.

Never know what will happen by December... which is only 10 weeks away :oops: where did 2021 go.

Stredda

Looks awesome ! Doesn't look like we will be over if things stay the way there are.

A concession to drive through Vic to get to the boat would change that.

Never know what will happen by December... which is only 10 weeks away :oops: where did 2021 go.
When you finally get over, make sure you make it a big one to get around all the new stuff. I'll give your a tour of my home trails around Wild Mersey. The next lot of trails will be open by summer.

ozzybmx

When you finally get over, make sure you make it a big one to get around all the new stuff. I'll give your a tour of my home trails around Wild Mersey. The next lot of trails will be open by summer.
Cheers ! Yeah thats the idea of next trip, limit Derby to 5ish days, spend more time in St Helens, ride Mersey and Queenstown.

ozzybmx

Buckle up, it ain't done yet.

I took a punt last year and booked some flights into Hobart for early November... not so confident now.
I am very tempted to book the Spirit of Tasmania for 15th December till about 10th Jan, the price is pretty good for 4wd, caravan and 4 people at $2200.

SOT will refund right up till the day if border restrictions are in place.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
The other issue being caravan sites when we get there. Derby is free, Queenstown is $40 a night... St Helens Big4 must supply free beer, $70 a night unpowered, $105 powered and $120 for an ensuite site :D $750 a week for a patch of grass and a power point.
How is Queenstown charging money to stay there, place was a shithole last I passed through... albeit we weren't in a van but Strahan was a nice little town to stay over in and Zeehan might have some cheap options to consider.

EDIT: Hell I doubt that anyone would mind if you pulled stumps in the Montezuma carpark for a few days.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The other issue being caravan sites when we get there. Derby is free, Queenstown is $40 a night... St Helens Big4 must supply free beer, $70 a night unpowered, $105 powered and $120 for an ensuite site :D $750 a week for a patch of grass and a power point.
Wow we stayed in a "deluxe" chalet in 2018 for $210 a night, to be fair it was actually pretty nice.