Mt Beauty trail advice

glenn1529

Likes Dirt
Hey Folks, I’m considering heading to Mt Beauty’s Big Hill trails (from Wodonga) for a pedal. Last time I was there was National champs 1996ish?
Any advice on a good AM/trail loop without shuttles? I’m hoping to avoid the overgrown, chopped up rubbish and missing out on the sweet stuff.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
No recent exeperience because of Melbourn lockdowns....but dont try to make sense of the big trail map in the carpark... there are however some numbered loops you can follow from the uptrack out of the carpark. Some tracks to check out...El presidente, Adams Track, Dragons Tail/Head if you dont mind some techy climbing, Honeysuckle if you want steep techy rock chutes, There's also a newish trail called Darkside which is worth a look.

slowmick

38-39"
There are some loops that are really well signposted. very hard to get proper lost. You'll have a ball. jealous as fuck.

glenn1529

Likes Dirt
Cheers for the heads up chaps. I did head to Mt Beauty and took in a couple of laps of the hill. I jumped on the tail of a couple of locals (cheers Nigel and Stewart) and hit a couple of the recommended trails and a few extras. Many larfs.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m heading up to Mt Beauty for Cup Day long weekend. I can’t even make sense of the trail map on a screen, let alone on the ground.

Any suggestions for a couple of decent loops that take in the highlights other than what was suggested above a few years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I’m heading up to Mt Beauty for Cup Day long weekend. I can’t even make sense of the trail map on a screen, let alone on the ground.

Any suggestions for a couple of decent loops that take in the highlights other than what was suggested above a few years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing has changed up there, so the above still stands.... but I'd highly recommend to go with a local... the place is a maze with little link tracks all over the place and before you know it you'll be somewhere you weren't aiming for or somehow managed to descend your way onto a climb. It's a shame as there is some fun techy descents there but it takes a while to work it all out, I really wish they'd block 3/4 of them off and just have some defined trails without all the turn-offs. Unfortunately they have the "come get lost at Mount Beauty" mentality... No thanks, just want to ride some fun shit.
Get some self-shuttles in at Falls if you can, there's some new trails up there which are pretty fun.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
I can’t even make sense of the trail map
You will get lost. Find some locals. :p I was there earlier in the year and even after doing a loop then a couple of shuttles I still couldn't fine the same trail twice. Good news is you shouldn't get too lost and find yourself back at the bottom eventually. Managed to run into one of the locals who had to a bit to do with the trail network and he concurred it's a little confusing. He then proceeded to give me some directions to find a different trail that I promptly couldn't find, got lost and found a completely different trail that was a bit of fun anyway. In good news all the ones I was on were pretty fun and similar 'skill' level with the exception of the DH tracks from the top shuttle point being a little more difficult

Jpez

Down on the left!
I did an Enduro up there last year and even with taping and signs riders still managed to get lost! Had to let some folks rerun as they’d taken a badly taped section onto the wrong trail all the way to the bottom. Every trail seems to have little offshoots running off.