Moving to the Sunshine Coast

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Ho,

End of the year our family is moving up to the sunshine coast to work at Birtinya. We dont know much about the area and are trying to figure out a few things so I thought I would check with you all.

1. Which areas to live/not rent in?
  2. Which are the good primary and secondary schools?

Thanks
MAS

Minlak

custom titis
To be honest with the current housing situation going on your affordable rent will dictate where you live more then desire - the average rental is going to be above $600 / week

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To be honest with the current housing situation going on your affordable rent will dictate where you live more then desire - the average rental is going to be above $600 / week
Yep we are expecting around $650 week for 3 bedroom house

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
50 Years a local. Currently living at Coolum Beach (23 years). There are so many factors that would determine a good place for you to live... you socio-economic status, your passions/interests, your family size and ages...etc, etc. You're welcome to pm me and I'll give you my email address... happy to answer any questions you might have. Even luckier for you, I'm a teacher (28 years) and I currently work in the area you mentioned...so have a good idea of what schools are what.

As for renting costs... the house next door to us is a basic brick 4 bedroom (with a pool) and rents for $850 / week... so a 3 bedroom should be found in the price range you mentioned. The hard thing is actually getting a rental... super super competitive renters market here at the moment. Many of my students families have had to move away because they either can't find rental accommodation or can no longer afford it.

mark22

Likes Dirt
Yep the rental market is tight, might be a case of where you can rather than where you want.
Might pay to call a few Real estate's or rental agency's, like soon to discuss your options.
All the best for your move.

Minlak

custom titis
The worst part of the rental situation is the randomness of it - I am in Bundaberg of course not Sunshine Coast but during the course of discussion I know people that have - (these are all different people)
Been applying to rent for 6 mths and can't get a house
Applied once and got 1st house they applied for
Been in Bundaberg their whole lives and been applying for 12 mths no success - these people are good people not fussy and a good rental history with references
People moved to town and with in the first week have a house
The absolute randomness of who gets a house is the frustrating bit - And I dont know how to fix it :)

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
We had a local news story here a while back where a family couldn't get a rental even though they were offering to pay a year's rent up front. :eek:

Minlak

custom titis
We had a local news story here a while back where a family couldn't get a rental even though they were offering to pay a year's rent up front. :eek:
We have people every day in the Facebook Local classifieds groups offering to pay 6 or 12 mths rent in advance just to get a property - And we have now started to see discussion about private landlords wanting 6 mths in advance to rent their properties at all.
The biggest trend we currently have is people taking "sad" looking photos of thier kids and introducing themselves in an attempt to garner some sort of sympathy to get a property. *Please note I am not complaining about them doing this just describing it - People are desperate and trying anything.

Caravan parks have advance bookings and I know families staying in tents that have to rotate between the parks every 3 to 4 weeks as there are no permanent tent sites