Moving to Tassie

mark22

Likes Dirt
I moved to hobart.
If you're realistic about the climate and the social services and facilities then it is fine!

There are heaps of positives, and different things appeal to different people, so i won't dwell on those.

The negatives can be fairly similar though
1. Tasmania has been farmed for a long time. The decent farmland is owned by a limited number of people, and the joke here is that to buy farmland you need to have the same surname as the seller.
2. Housing is now as expensive as anywhere on the mainland. Wages are not equal.
3. People underestimate the dark and the winter. If you've lived somewhere similar and know what you're in for you'll be fine. Honestly, i think I'm genetically predisposed to the seasonal change!
4. Tasmania is not as liberal as it seems from the mainland. You hear about all the progressive things happening here but they are a vocal minority.
5. Tasmanians already have friends and they don't need you. All my close friends are recent arrivals to the island. That being said, tasmanians are much friendlier and more helpful to strangers on a superficial level
Great honest and informative reply

clockworked

Like an orange
Haha, you're speaking my language. I'm a surveyor and my wife is a chiropractor, but we'd be keen to start a small business like market gardening or worm farming. Any excuse for a tractor or bobcat I reckon. Wife is from England too, so she'll feel at home in the cold and dark winters haha.
There is a huge demand for surveyors. You'll be able to dictate terms

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Thanks for the detailed reply @Stredda. I have friends in Penguin and have been there a few times, but it was a while ago now. Always liked the area and the trails there. Good tip about travelling along the coastal highway and commuting along that strip of coast. It definitely sounds like the area between Latrobe and Penguin would work for us. Will have to do some more research to see what options there are for work for both of us.
I'm about to put my Latrobe property on the market, Make a good chiropractor's office and residence;)

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I live in Penguin having only recently moved from Latrobe. Both towns are great but house prices are not all that cheap because of them both being a great place to live. Depending on what work you are both looking for would also determine where you are looking to set up home base. The reason we moved was that our kids are now both adults but will probably be at home for a few more years yet and we wanted a place with a bit more space. We were looking for any place along the coast from Latrobe to Penguin as my wife works in Devonport (and occasionally Burnie) and I work in Burnie.
Once you go inland too far, your commute to the cities becomes a bit of a pain while the towns along the coast are all close to a brilliant dual lane highway.
Latrobe is riding distance from some of the Wild Mersey trails, Railton is smack in the middle and Sheffield is on the southern side. Once again will depend on where you work. Sheffield and especially Railton have a high population of bogans too. :p
Devonport has some trails at Kelcey Tiers which you can ride to from town and it's not that far from the Wild Mersey trails too.
Ulverstone doesn't really have any trails in riding distance but either Wild Mersey or Penguin is 15/20min drive away.
Penguin so far has been a great move for us, it's 10min longer for my wife's commute but knocks off half an hour each way for me. I've been involved with both the Wild Mersey trails and with the Cradle Coast Mountain Bike Club who are responsible for the Penguin MTB Park and Dial Range trails. The bike park is a 5 min ride away and as I run a lot of the trail maintenance it's really handy not having to drive half an hour to do a trail inspection. Also, the club has quite a few plans for park upgrades, and future trail development in the Dial Range.
Once you head west as far as Burnie, you are getting further from any decent trails although they have a pretty good pumptrack and jumps area.
I kind of think that the Latrobe to Penguin strip along the coast is the sweet spot.
I know the riding is great up there having been a couple of times. Your description of the trail network and it's close proximity is nearly emough to make think of leaving Lenah Valley.

Stredda

I know the riding is great up there having been a couple of times. Your description of the trail network and it's close proximity is nearly emough to make think of leaving Lenah Valley.
I am missing being as close to the Wild Mersey trails as I was before, just means I'll have to focus on getting just as much trail in the Dial Range as well! :p
Still, it's only a half hour drive from Penguin and I have Iron Tor on my doorstep, so I have nothing to complain about.

Richo82

Squid
I made this exact move in June 2021, and excluding all of the pain getting permission to relocate into state during Covid times it has been awesome.

We made the move in quick time, I applied for a job mid week, had an interview and offer early the following week. We manage to quickly buy a house, put our place in Melbourne on the market, flew down to sign a contract, and packed up and moved within 6 weeks.

Securing property can be an issue, rental market is insane - apply before getting to look at them and reasonably high rents. I have friends at work who are many months into applying and still no luck. Buying is slowing down, when I moved it was not uncommon for places to sell before they could get the advertising up online, but it still seems like a very active market. Cost to relocate can vary depending on how you do it, we had two twenty foot containers packed and unpacked and cost us $12k.

We bought in Acacia Hills, an area about 15mins from Latrobe and Sheffield trailheads for Wild Mersey, as well as 15mins to the beach and anything else we need in Devonport. I commute to Penguin for work ~40km each way and unless I get stuck behind a tractor its just over 30mins each way (along the Bass Hwy as Stredda mentioned). Shopping at the larger supermarkets (Woolies & Coles) isn't too much more expensive, but the local IGAs seem to be quite expensive. Not as much open on weekends which isn't a bad thing at times.

I haven't ridden as much as I would have liked, but that also has a lot to do with finding out my wife was pregnant with our second child on the day she sailed. Health system was fine for the birth and support was great. I haven't had the need for a GP yet, but there are some clinics if you are desperate.

Made a few friends from work, and also some off "That's it! I'm moving to Tassie!!" Facebook group. Really should join the MTB club and try and gather a few more. Childcare and pre-kinder have been great, no complaints yet, however I do hear some horror stories from secondary schools.

NW coast is a great spot, mild weather (but if sunny you'll need short if over 13 degrees), quite a few craft breweries. I haven't regretted it apart from the cost of booking a trip back to Melbourne on the spirit for Christmas with the camper trailer, and missing out on a bumper snow season on Hotham.

Stredda

I made this exact move in June 2021, and excluding all of the pain getting permission to relocate into state during Covid times it has been awesome.

We made the move in quick time, I applied for a job mid week, had an interview and offer early the following week. We manage to quickly buy a house, put our place in Melbourne on the market, flew down to sign a contract, and packed up and moved within 6 weeks.

Securing property can be an issue, rental market is insane - apply before getting to look at them and reasonably high rents. I have friends at work who are many months into applying and still no luck. Buying is slowing down, when I moved it was not uncommon for places to sell before they could get the advertising up online, but it still seems like a very active market. Cost to relocate can vary depending on how you do it, we had two twenty foot containers packed and unpacked and cost us $12k.

We bought in Acacia Hills, an area about 15mins from Latrobe and Sheffield trailheads for Wild Mersey, as well as 15mins to the beach and anything else we need in Devonport. I commute to Penguin for work ~40km each way and unless I get stuck behind a tractor its just over 30mins each way (along the Bass Hwy as Stredda mentioned). Shopping at the larger supermarkets (Woolies & Coles) isn't too much more expensive, but the local IGAs seem to be quite expensive. Not as much open on weekends which isn't a bad thing at times.

I haven't ridden as much as I would have liked, but that also has a lot to do with finding out my wife was pregnant with our second child on the day she sailed. Health system was fine for the birth and support was great. I haven't had the need for a GP yet, but there are some clinics if you are desperate.

Made a few friends from work, and also some off "That's it! I'm moving to Tassie!!" Facebook group. Really should join the MTB club and try and gather a few more. Childcare and pre-kinder have been great, no complaints yet, however I do hear some horror stories from secondary schools.

NW coast is a great spot, mild weather (but if sunny you'll need short if over 13 degrees), quite a few craft breweries. I haven't regretted it apart from the cost of booking a trip back to Melbourne on the spirit for Christmas with the camper trailer, and missing out on a bumper snow season on Hotham.
There's more Burners on the Northwest coast than I thought!

Funny thing, as one of the early iterations of the Wild Mersey trail network was to go along Bonneys Tier, which backs onto Acacia Hills.
Where do you work in Penguin?

Richo82

Squid
There's more Burners on the Northwest coast than I thought!

Funny thing, as one of the early iterations of the Wild Mersey trail network was to go along Bonneys Tier, which backs onto Acacia Hills.
Where do you work in Penguin?
A little place called Penguin Composites. I have noticed the bright blue RAV on the highway, and more recently at the Penguin exit. I really need to get up Iron Tor after work while we have the long daylight hours, and the weather dries out.

Stredda

A little place called Penguin Composites. I have noticed the bright blue RAV on the highway, and more recently at the Penguin exit. I really need to get up Iron Tor after work while we have the long daylight hours, and the weather dries out.
Ah right! I work for Jayben in Cooee. We are just about to get you guys to do a transportable trainer unit based on the back of a Bushmaster.
I only live up South Road a bit further on Berkshire Parade from Penguin composites. You'll have to hit me up for a spin up the Tor sometime.