Moving to Tasmania for bikes!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
My perception of Maydena is that it caters largely to advanced gravity riders. Is that actually the case?

I love the idea of all that vertical and the visitor centre at the top looks great.

Maybe they need a mellow trail network surrounding the gnar to get a broader range of people to visit?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will be interesting to watch the future prospects of Maydena.
I'd say the younger generation that can freely dart off interstate would have already visited, will they come back for a second round?

In terms of a family holiday, I don't think Tassie would rate highly versus the more tropical regions of our country and surrounding Asian countries.

** I absolutely love Tassie and would happily go there every family holdiay from here out, but it's a hard sell for partner and young fella.
I've also not visited Maydena, but have visited Derby, Hollybank & Meehan.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
My perception of Maydena is that it caters largely to advanced gravity riders. Is that actually the case?

I love the idea of all that vertical and the visitor centre at the top looks great.

Maybe they need a mellow trail network surrounding the gnar to get a broader range of people to visit?
Only issue was first section which wasn't beginner friendly in that it had some rough sections which from what I've read, they've had work done on since I went in March.

Other than that, they have heaps of green and blue trails to slowly work your way up. Great variety of tech and flow of all grades which makes it awesome to build your skills comfortably.
They will also have new green and maybe blues at the start of October.

Flow-Rider

Burner
In terms of a family holiday, I don't think Tassie would rate highly versus the more tropical regions of our country and surrounding Asian countries.
There's a lot to do there if your family likes outdoors activities, it might involve a fair bit of driving from place to place.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Only issue was first section which wasn't beginner friendly in that it had some rough sections which from what I've read, they've had work done on since I went in March.

Other than that, they have heaps of green and blue trails to slowly work your way up. Great variety of tech and flow of all grades which makes it awesome to build your skills comfortably.
They will also have new green and maybe blues at the start of October.
They definitely are building more mellow trails, but it's worth noting that a Maydena green is a pretty dark green, more like the equivalent of a Derby blue in a lot of cases.

scblack

Leucocholic
Will be interesting to watch the future prospects of Maydena.
I'd say the younger generation that can freely dart off interstate would have already visited, will they come back for a second round?

** I absolutely love Tassie and would happily go there every family holdiay from here out, but it's a hard sell for partner and young fella.
I've also not visited Maydena, but have visited Derby, Hollybank & Meehan.
For a family holiday, Tasmania is a VERY expensive place to get to. I could take my family (2 adults, 2 kids) with the camper behind the car. That is a big cost to ship that across. Or we could fly, but four return flights plus accommodation plus car hire is again costly.

I can fly to NZ or multiple Asian countries for a much cheaper holiday.

Cost is not the only thing but its a big factor stopping us going there.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
For a family holiday, Tasmania is a VERY expensive place to get to. I could take my family (2 adults, 2 kids) with the camper behind the car. That is a big cost to ship that across.
A few months back I did a mock booking to see the cost for January 2019, it was ~$1900 with a Jayco Hawk camper and a cabin each way which was a few hundred cheaper than the last time.
We held off as we were thinking of buying a new van, so we just got a 17ft Pop-Top and went ahead to book... a longer and higher van, same date and same cabin in each direction was $2610, now I expect that waiting closer to the departure date was some of that too, but yes, bloody expensive.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Yep, this is my experience with the place also unfortunately, I knew what to expect because I've worked in a lot of country towns as an outsider. It just takes time to win over trust, you need to join in on the local activities to fit in, like drink till ya almost dead, smoke drugs and have sex with ya sister on any Sunday.
Hey!!
I resemble that remark!

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
Hey!!
I resemble that remark!

Please don't tell me you married your sister or cousin or something, lol!

It's a small place down there, some of the people live a simple life but they're wonderful people once you win their respect over. I'm lucky as I have close friends that have resided down there that have a lot family that I've met over the years but that wild sort of life with booze and revving motorbikes isn't my sort of ideal life style. I enjoy riding mountain bikes without the large hangover.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Please don't tell me you married your sister or cousin or something, lol!

It's a small place down there, some of the people live a simple life but they're wonderful people once you win their respect over. I'm lucky as I have close friends that have resided down there that have a lot family that I've met over the years but that wild sort of life with booze and revving motorbikes isn't my sort of ideal life style. I enjoy ridding mountain bikes without the large hangover.
Haha... Yeah I know who you mean. There's all kinds of folks on the island
My wife is Canadian and we have one kid & another due any day, so I have broadened the gene pool

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
without the large hangover.
In my experience hangovers don’t last very long once the riding starts. I’m pretty experienced with that, getting home at 3am stumblin and rollin out the door on the bike at 8am to catch up with the group that left 15 minutes earlier (perks of living 200m from the trails)
It has been awhile since that’s happened though

This mornin was abit rough, I must say. So there is that. *shrugs*

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
E , you certainly gave it a red hot stab , and i appreciate the input . Thanks for all the great info in this thread - i have , are , had , still considering a move to Tas - or at least investing ( on a very small scale ) into property .

But the comments have reiterated what other friends have cautioned me against .
Isolation from mainland , job market tight , outsiders not welcome etc .

I love Tassie and will go again this year and again in May . But my forever off grid home may be in Vic High Country or up the Murray River in the short term .

PJO

in me vL comy
A few months back I did a mock booking to see the cost for January 2019, it was ~$1900 with a Jayco Hawk camper and a cabin each way which was a few hundred cheaper than the last time.
We held off as we were thinking of buying a new van, so we just got a 17ft Pop-Top and went ahead to book... a longer and higher van, same date and same cabin in each direction was $2610, now I expect that waiting closer to the departure date was some of that too, but yes, bloody expensive.
Problem with the Spirit is that the cars are subsidised but anything additional to that isn't, so you pay for it.
I had a mate bringing his family of 5 down to camp in Derby, left it too late when booking and the Spirit wouldn't fit his camper trailer on but could get the car on. He ended up using Searoad Mersey 2 for the trailer, turned out to be a cheaper option. It sailed at exactly the same time as the Spirit, so he just dropped the trailer off in Melbs near to the Spirit terminal and picked it up again in the morning in Devo (just next to the Spirit terminal).

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
He ended up using Searoad Mersey 2 for the trailer, turned out to be a cheaper option. It sailed at exactly the same time as the Spirit, so he just dropped the trailer off in Melbs near to the Spirit terminal and picked it up again in the morning in Devo (just next to the Spirit terminal).
Trying to make it as seamless as possible, missus likes it that way... she also likes to shuttle so I try to keep her happy with her stuff. The night boat suits me too as I finish nightshift that morning so the first 2 hours out of Adelaide is mine, then I'll hand over to err for the next 3-4 while I grab a snooze... then Im good to melb and a few beers till 10pm, then the cabin gets hit till depart.

Reactions: PJO