Moving from the North Shore to Melbourne

Kris-MK

Squid
Hi Everyone, I'm Kris

I'm moving to Melbourne for a while/permanently (hopefully) in April of this year and I intend to bring my Transition Spire with me.

I don't know anyone in the country that bikes so I'm going to be interested in meeting some people to learn the trail networks around Victoria.

As a start I'm looking into any recommendations for trails I should check out first. I've been spoiled by growing up in Vancouver with the north shore and whistler in my backyard so my preferred riding is definitely gravity oriented but the Spire does pedal okay as well.

Fast flow/jump trails are my most favorable. What's the scene like for this kind of riding there? I've been doing some searching with different results so I figure asking the locals might be the best bet and a good way to introduce myself and hopefully link up with some people for trail days when I get there in a few months time

Thanks!

Kris-MK

Squid
Oh dear. I hope you like good coffee and garage rock...

Melbourne is pretty flat (and a bit shit).

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
I do like coffee so I have that going for me. I'll be landing in the eastern suburbs. From what I've gathered it looks like Mystic is probably the closest place to get a gravity feed. That sound like the case?

Preparing myself for some weekend road trips to ride if it comes down to it

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I do like coffee so I have that going for me. I'll be landing in the eastern suburbs. From what I've gathered it looks like Mystic is probably the closest place to get a gravity feed. That sound like the case?

Preparing myself for some weekend road trips to ride if it comes down to it
Mystic is a fair way out of Melbourne up in the Snowy Mountains. Red Hill will be closer.

I'll let a local chip in with some actual advice rather than interstate snark.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I don't think you're going to be able to get comparative experiences. So along as you temper your expectations, there's lots on offer just fundamentally different to what you've had access to.

Mystic, and buller are going to be your closest comparisons, though not geographically close for a quick lap. Other stuff you may need to travel interstate for. Tasmania has excellent networks that would more closely resemble what you're used to. Maydena comes to mind and is easy enough to do as a weekend getaway (flights are cheap and only an hour and a bit away.)

Kris-MK

Squid
I don't think you're going to be able to get comparative experiences. So along as you temper your expectations, there's lots on offer just fundamentally different to what you've had access to.

Mystic, and buller are going to be your closest comparisons, though not geographically close for a quick lap. Other stuff you may need to travel interstate for. Tasmania has excellent networks that would more closely resemble what you're used to. Maydena comes to mind and is easy enough to do as a weekend getaway (flights are cheap and only an hour and a bit away.)
Change is good with me, just being out on the bike is enough most days

I'll be sorted with a travel bag so short flights when I need a fix is great

Thanks!

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Change is good with me, just being out on the bike is enough most days

I'll be sorted with a travel bag so short flights when I need a fix is great

Thanks!
As somone mentioned out your way there is red Hill. Others in that general directions are Sylvan, somewhere good and Maryvale pines. All very different from each other.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Where in the eastern suburbs @Kris-MK? As others have said the big hills around here are mostly a bit of a drive, with Bright/Buller the main destinations from Melb, but both 3-3.5hr drive.

If as you say you're "happy to pedal", there's plenty of fun to be had nearer home, with Red Hill (but more precisely Eaton's Cutting) and Silvan the closest then places like Macedon, Warburton (allegedly - local knowledge needed), Lake Mountain, Narbethong (DH track you can pedal up) etc all offering a good mix of riding and terrain types and easy enough to drive to depending on where exactly you'll be living.

We don't have the terrain of Squamish etc but there's some good riding about, just go at it with an open mind and a couple of bottles of water :p

Kris-MK

Squid
Where in the eastern suburbs @Kris-MK? As others have said the big hills around here are mostly a bit of a drive, with Bright/Buller the main destinations from Melb, but both 3-3.5hr drive.

If as you say you're "happy to pedal", there's plenty of fun to be had nearer home, with Red Hill (but more precisely Eaton's Cutting) and Silvan the closest then places like Macedon, Warburton (allegedly - local knowledge needed), Lake Mountain, Narbethong (DH track you can pedal up) etc all offering a good mix of riding and terrain types and easy enough to drive to depending on where exactly you'll be living.

We don't have the terrain of Squamish etc but there's some good riding about, just go at it with an open mind and a couple of bottles of water :p
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I'm staying around St Kilda to start out until I can get a proper long term rental sorted out

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
In that case, you’ll definitely need a car! But you’ll be central so the good news is most of what I listed is in a 60-90min driving radius from there. Post a thread up in the Watering Hole section when you’re settled and looking to ride and I’m sure there’ll be people willing to show you some spots.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Was writing a bit of an info post, but pretty much everyone has already said what I was going to say :D So in summary...

Melbourne and surrounding areas has a lot of 30-60km trail centres. Some are upwards of 1.5hrs away depending on your location.

Not a lot of long sustained descents but definitely a few gems.

My local is the You Yangs and a typical shorter ride for me at there is like this with around 4 descents.
Screenshot_20230124_134604_com.strava.jpg

teK--

Eats Squid
Hey Kris welcome mate

there is a reason why many riders all over the world aspire to visit Whistler before they turn 40.

We just don't have those sorts of mountains in Melbourne, and in any case not that many that have >200m drop in elevation per run unless you head to the high country.

In order of accessibility (from St Kilda i could suggest):

You Yangs (has shuttle trailer on specified days every month or two)
Silvan
Red Hill
Lake Mountain (has shuttle trailer)
Mt Buller (has shuttle trailer)
Bright (has shuttle trailer)

You need to head over the state border for these locations, but it is definitely worth it:

Thredbo, NSW (has chairlifts)
Derby, TAS (has shuttle trailer)
Maydena, TAS (has shuttle trailer. Out of this list, probably the closest thing you will find to Whistler)