Mount Keira Adventure Playground – MTB proposal

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Destination Wollongong has put forward a proposal to to develop MT keira as an adventure playground. Part of the proposal is to develop a MTB park, including a world class DH and XC track that could hold events, as well as a flow trail as part of the concept.

Destination Wollongong is keen to hear from the Mountain bike community if you support the proposal. You can show your support on their face book page by generating activity such as liking and sharing the page. You can also provide feedback on the page.
https://www.facebook.com/MountKeira

Myself and another local MTBer met with them during the week to provide some ideas.

I think they should just focus on the DH track and an XC track. The XC should climb to the top of the mountain and takes in other areas of the escarpment.

What do people think?

MtKeira.jpg

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Please dont build a flow trail, even if its described as an xc trail ... we have enough smooth fracking trails getting built. Surely we can have rough/textured trails that are still sustainable and shed water without them being turned into smooth BMX single track with uphill pumps or tight corners before uphill sections.:whistle:

Anyway, BOT ... bloody awesome idea and hope all the old heads down there with build skillz get actively involved so we really do get world class trails

ChopSticks

Banned
Echoing nerfs comment re: uphill pumps.... That's a deal killer for me!!

Will this proposal include a chairlift up to Mt Keira? Bypassing that nasty Mt Keira road climb?..... Really wasn't pleasant riding it last time with you!!!

already behind the fb page and hopefully development begins soon !!!!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'd love to see something happen there but that is in the top five of Australia's "My job is to stop people enjoying any environment except to look at it from afar" list. It's a shame it's that way but that's what you get in a busy area where people need to make sure everyone hear's their opinion.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great Idea and surely long over due in the Illawarra.

If a flow trail gets more people in to the sport, go for it i'd say. People with wifes and kids who would like to have a family day out would definetly appreciate a flow trail.

If you want to ride the XC or downhill you still can.....

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am not against Flow trails and agree with SF Trailboy that they have there place but don't think this should be a priority for the proposal. It would be better to incorporate the existing trail network and I think there are better locations for a flow trail on the escarpment. You would want a flow trail to be a long trail from the top to the bottom and challenging enough for more experienced riders at speed. Cramming too many trails on the mountain will not work.

Echoing nerfs comment re: uphill pumps.... That's a deal killer for me!!

Will this proposal include a chairlift up to Mt Keira? Bypassing that nasty Mt Keira road climb?..... Really wasn't pleasant riding it last time with you!!!
Yes!!! the chair lift is on the plan but is probably one of the more expensive proposals. I could really do with the chair lift now as I am feeling the climbs a lot more these days.

A big advantage of the MTB trails is that this is one of the more low cost options.

Flint

Likes Dirt
"smooth BMX single track" So long as its all downhill sounds like the definition of Flow to me, tables, berms and rollers than can be doubled by faster riders, step downs than can be rolled down by slower riders. Something like Whistler's Blue Velvet is what I picture.

XC tracks should have all the technical bits as far as I am concerned, if they don't then they are just road cycling on dirt and that is as boring as bat sh1t.

DH is DH, it should not be a glorified flow trail.

Cheers

Last edited:

.dan.

Likes Dirt
That's going to be a long DH track, which gets my approval. An excellent mountain for it aswell. I only live 50mins away so I would be willing to help when building commences. Me and my buddies sure would be visiting this a lot when it's up and running. Just be prepared for the long haul with the council, etc. Having been involved with trying to get a legal DH track in Mittagong, I can tell you it could be a while until this gets off the ground if your council is as bad as mine.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
That's going to be a long DH track, which gets my approval. An excellent mountain for it aswell. I only live 50mins away so I would be willing to help when building commences. Me and my buddies sure would be visiting this a lot when it's up and running. Just be prepared for the long haul with the council, etc. Having been involved with trying to get a legal DH track in Mittagong, I can tell you it could be a while until this gets off the ground if your council is as bad as mine.
Especially since Greenvalleys is still with shellharbour council ( that was the last I heard ) . Councils don`t move very fast . There is still no home for Wollongong MTB club . Don`t mean to be negative but who will foot the bill for this ? Will it be user pays ? I don`t mind paying if the trails are quality . They have just raised the rates and it would be a struggle for most if they went up further . I know they need to look for life after BHP and hope that they see this as a viable option .

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Wonder what they're going to do about all those walking trails intersecting the MTB trails?

How long would that XC trail end up being? Looks like maybe 3.5kms long?

Dragonwoody

Likes Dirt
Good things happening in Wollongong! Will be great when this gets off the ground (positive thinking).

I think a good start would be to get the existing tracks made legal and then progress the track network from there. Legalising the existing tracks will limit initial costs and outlay. Mt Keira already has a nice trail network of DH and XC tracks which is currently maintained by riders.

Hopefully the land owners can work together to make it happen and the powers at be can see the potential and economic boom that this will create.

I would love to see Uni track start from the top of Keira and then leading in to the existing track with a Gondola station at the bottom.

I think what Green Valley's has achieved so far is great and I believe DA has now been approved! The site will only get better! This together with other MTB tracks and facilities in the area could create a great MTB Mecca for the region.

Would be great if people could like the facebook page and comment/share where you can. The more activity on the page the better!

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crank you just beat me to it:thumb:

Please like and share all over the net as we need to make this a visible as possible.

Some good shots of the Holy trail.. but I think I have seen some better pics posted up here from rotoburners.
Is that a good or bad story though?

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is that a good or bad story though?
Its a good article in my opinion as it tells it like it is. It highlights the need for an legal trails in the area and should get the discussion going from both side for and against so these things can be worked through. It is probably little coincidence both articles appeared on the same day highlighting councils support for this proposal that will provide a solution to illegal trails in the region.

Korbzy

Likes Bikes
Hey Halo, saw the articles and it's great to see some positive talk about it. This could really attract a lot of tourism from sydney and surrounding areas, where else would you find some awsome trails that meet the beach, with amazing views.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk