Motorcycle Thread - Post it all

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Bike enthusiasts, a quick question...

How do I talk an older (boomer) mate out of buying one of these from DEUS

He hasn't ridden properly in 20 odd years and had something similar in his youth, in my limited knowledege I'm thinking he's better off with something like a Triumph Trident/Indian or Royal Enfield for comparable coin... Deus mark up seems insane.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Bike enthusiasts, a quick question...

How do I talk an older (boomer) mate out of buying one of these from DEUS

View attachment 383093

He hasn't ridden properly in 20 odd years and had something similar in his youth, in my limited knowledege I'm thinking he's better off with something like a Triumph Trident/Indian or Royal Enfield for comparable coin...
Is that an XS650… ?

Is so, he’s not likely to be dragging his knee. If he's already ridden a hinge before, he’ll be sweet.

Full disclaimer, I’ve never ridden one, but my mates who have, survived

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Is that an XS650… ?

Is so, he’s not likely to be dragging his knee. If he's already ridden a hinge before, he’ll be sweet.

Full disclaimer, I’ve never ridden one, but my mates who have, survived
Sorry, but what or who is "hinge?"
Is a hinge a motorbike?

I haven't seen the movie "Stone" in a decade or more, so my motorbike lingo is a bit rusty
This is a Mountain bike forum, can you please talk slower

Thanks

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
question for the wife - if she holds a full drivers licence, and about to get off her Ls for the motor bike, does she still have to ride a LAMS bike for a period? Shes of the belief that because of the full drivers licence, she'll be unrestricted in bike choice. But that seems kind of too easy seeing as shed still be a novice rider. Question relates to VIC.

Cant seem to find anything online thats explicit on the topic

indica

Serial flasher
What type of motorcycle licence will I be issued?

Once you've passed your licence assessment, the type of licence issued to you (probationary or a restricted full licence) will depend on:
  • If you already hold a Victorian driver licence, your motorcycle licence category 'R' will be added to your driver licence.

indica

Serial flasher
So, looks to be the same as QLD, restricted once off Ls if old enoughand holder of a full car licence.

Minlak

custom titis
question for the wife - if she holds a full drivers licence, and about to get off her Ls for the motor bike, does she still have to ride a LAMS bike for a period? Shes of the belief that because of the full drivers licence, she'll be unrestricted in bike choice. But that seems kind of too easy seeing as shed still be a novice rider. Question relates to VIC.

Cant seem to find anything online thats explicit on the topic
Ok I went diving on the Vic Roads page and fuck me could they make it any harder to understand???
So an "R" licence is your motorbike licence an 'RE" is your restricted motorbike licence so if I am reading the information correctly it says she will be issued with an "R" licence and that makes no sense at all as it seems based solely on the fact she already has a Victorian Licence :)

However 11yrs in QLD if you had held an open car licence for a I think 5 years?? You were able to go from "L" straight to a full licence as I helped someone do it - So not out of the realms of possibility

TLDR a call to Vic Roads will be needed before you sign up for the Goldwing

indica

Serial flasher
you have to do Q-Ride courses to even get a learners now.
As an older novice I enjoyed the course actually.
The bloke who ran it was awesome and gave some good pointers around awareness and not dying.

I had learnt to ride in India in 1999 but was rather stoned then so a refresher was good.
The Vic one had a pre learner too when I looked before.

ausdb

Being who he is
Sorry, but what or who is "hinge?"
Is a hinge a motorbike?
I've never ridden one either but pretty sure it was in relation to the suspension being pretty crap or the frame really flexy and the bike feeling like it had a hinge in the middle.

It's pretty funny that these and maggots (cx500) are pretty sought after now for restoration mods but no one really cared much for them back in the day.

cammas

Seamstress
Took this little thing for spin today, both boys got their learners in the past week and the youngest fella has this, for a little 650 it has a nice note.
Clutch is a bit dodgy not sure if it’s the cable or it’s shagged as it doesn’t bite until the last couple of mill, the mini apes probably don’t help.
I gave it the once over for him and fixed up a couple of things like reposition his front blinkers as the were mounted behind the fork legs so you could hardly see them :rolleyes: